90 LTV investment advice?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

90 LTV investment advice?

HI guys, I'm new to this forum and new landlord.
    I have 1 property I bought few years back at 75 ltv but since moved out and renting it, whilst still at residential mortgage.
    I'm currently buying another house at 90LTV with intention to rent out and seek consent to let in few months.

Now my plan is : once I finalize the 90LTV house and after getting consent to let I will buy another house at 90 LTV... and then another.
    Will that work ? Is there any risk that lender won't give me consent to let when I have multiple mortgages at 90 LTV? is there a risk that lenders will refuse to give me another 90 LTV even if others are let out ?

Appreciate constructing feedback ;-)

I'm curious. What happens to 90% LTVs when property prices slip by 20% or 25%? (or when they turn into Assured Lifelong tenancies under a Marxist government, and fall by a further 50% below the already depressed market value).

Comment

When properties fall it's irrelevant, it's what happens with rents and rates that matters, plan B is as rates are going high then start repaying aggresively (I can afford that) and remortgage them for say 30-35 years.

also when properties fall I'll carry on buying, given repayment is lower than rental, so that will even out the prices.

Comment

It was highly leveraged investment, not so much the actual stock market fall, that bankrupted people the great Wall Street crash.

Also, have I misunderstood you, or are you pretending to buy as owner occupier?

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
          Also, have I misunderstood you, or are you pretending to buy as owner occupier?
          Yes. Then seek consent to let in 3 months.

If it's a car crash, tell me how.

I was actually thinking of buying half repayment , half interest only portfolio, but actually have more properties faster than saving for huge deposit and SDLT for BTL each time

Comment

Originally posted by diseasex View Post
            When properties fall it's irrelevant, it's what happens with rents and rates that matters, plan B is as rates are going high then start repaying aggresively (I can afford that) and remortgage them for say 30-35 years.

also when properties fall I'll carry on buying, given repayment is lower than rental, so that will even out the prices.
            Good luck with that small irrelevancy...... you might want to go and study a little economics and history as leaseholder64 suggests

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post

Good luck with that small irrelevancy...... you might want to go and study a little economics and history as leaseholder64 suggests
              Thanks I’ve already done that. Even 50% drop wouldn’t ruin me, I’m placing a bet on certain area and not your business what I’m doing with my money and what’s my risk appetite or strategy to reduce risk

now back to original question: is having multiple 90 LTV mortgages possible or do I need to repay them to 75ltv before taking another ?

Comment

No but lenders will care about that and your first 90% LTV is likely to be your last. Again, the best of luck.

A 50% drop on a few 90% LTVs mean that you are in the red to the tune of 40% of the total value of your portfolio. I'd call that pretty much "ruined" with no way out -- but hell, definitions differ.

When your rental income falls below your mortgage bill, the banks re-possess the whole lot and sell it to other folk.

Comment

first 90% LTV is likely to be your last.
                  Do you know anyone that tried perhaps? Or is this rule written anywhere? I’m not trying to be rude, just looking for information.

When your rental income falls below your mortgage bill, the banks re-possess the whole lot and sell it to other folk.
                  ​​​​​​​now that is hard to believe to lose property just like that

Comment

Yes, just like that...

You: My strategy is to own 10 properties at 90% LTV
                    Mr Bank manager: That sounds like a plan
                    You: The properties will be £100K each and I will pay £10K of that. The rental yield will be 4% and all expenses around 1% of V.
                    You: So I will get in £40K per year and my expenses will be £10K. I'll pay around 10K in tax, so will be left with £20K
                    You: At current mortgage rates with repayment mortgages over a 25 year term (the only kind you will give me) my mortgage bill will be £22K per year and my repayments £36K/year. So in fact I won't pay any tax so please revise my net income figure before mortgages to £30K
                    Mr Bank manager: That sounds like a plan. What happens when prices crash to even 50% and rental yields decrease accordingly, and when mortgage rates rise to 6%
                    You: That is totally irrelevant. Even 50% drop wouldn’t ruin me, I’m placing a bet on certain area and not your business what I’m doing with my money and what’s my risk appetite or strategy to reduce risk.
                    Mr Bank manager: That sounds like a plan. You do realise that when you can't pay your mortgage we take the properties back and sell them on the open market. Even that will not allow you to repay the loaned capital so you will be bankrupted.
                    You: Now that is hard to believe to lose property just like that. Really, you actually do that?

Comment

Gosh. What is it with these forums
                      My strategy is to own 2-3 90 LTV properties at any given time (if that's even possible) and overpay them quickly within 2 year fixed period to 75LTV then turn them to interest only potentially. Comprende? That’s not rocket science jeez. All you do is ‘what if there’s black swan event?’ Is it the best you got ?

Comment

Good luck again with the swan

Comment

My Monday morning has been spoilt by the OP’s comments. This is a blatant attempt to circumvent the legal declarations made on mortgage applications. Lenders are not fools and it is my sincere hope that anyone who pursues such practices of buying with a residential mortgage and then tries to get a Consent to Let when such declarations are fatuous are identified and be placed on the Hunter System as well as having to repay the associated borrowings.
                          Diseasex please do not respond to this posting as I will not give further oxygen to your ideas to be a landlord by undertaking such dubious measures.

Comment

No facts, no links , no quotes, no precedents just wishy-washy, however strongly opinionated, answers so far. What evidence do you have it’s not allowed or not possible?

Comment

Final words, I was a lender for 50 Years , general Manager of a leading Building society for the last twelve years and broker for 11 years. I know what is right and definitely wrong

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Higher rate loans
                                GaryE
                                I have sourced a loan which is a second charge taken across the remaining equity in my property portfolio. My portfolio is at approximately 75% LtV. The gross value across 5 properties is £2.2m with outstanding mortgage balances of £1.5m soon to rise to £1.7m. I am hoping to release approximately...
                                21-10-2019, 14:48 PM
                              • Reply to Higher rate loans
                                GaryE
                                From what I understand the second charge is levied against individual properties until the required funds are raised. I.e. £100k against property 1, £80k against property 2 and so on. The lenders I currently use (BM and Aldermore) allow second charges as I have had them previously. If I was to move...
                                22-10-2019, 07:53 AM
                                loanarranger
                                I agree completely with JPKeates, it is a matter which taxes any broker when clients are seeking to release equity but their present lenders do not offer further advances; I suspect that you have already investigated this and have been redirected to a type of lender of last resort” who creates a legal...
                                21-10-2019, 15:38 PM
                                jpkeates
                                Are you sure your mortgage lender will consent to a second charge on the portfolio?
                                I think the question might be academic, because I'd be amazed if they would.
                                21-10-2019, 15:06 PM
                              • Moving back in to BTL purchased under company
                                BentuKala
                                Hello everyone,

If a house is purchased under a company with BTL mortgage, is it possible later on to switch to residential mortgage so that the company director can stop letting it out and use it as main residence? Does residential mortgages for companies exist? Will it have an exorbitant...
                                14-10-2019, 18:52 PM
                              • Reply to Moving back in to BTL purchased under company
                                Gordon999
                                Residential mortgages are for "owner occupiers". A company is not "occupier" like a person occupies a residential property,
                                21-10-2019, 09:35 AM
                              • Pay off residential with buy to let
                                2buytolet
                                Hello,

First poster here looking for advice, this is our situation. We have one buy to let property mortgaged at £40000 and worth around £130000 and our home with a £65000 mortgage worth around £190000. We are looking to move house but keep both properties. Would it be wise to paid...
                                15-10-2019, 19:42 PM
                              • Reply to Pay off residential with buy to let
                                loanarranger
                                On a personal level I believe you have made the right decision. Best of luck going forward.
                                21-10-2019, 05:39 AM
                              • Reply to Pay off residential with buy to let
                                2buytolet
                                Oriiginal poster here. Thanks for the great advice. After careful consideration we have decided to raise capital from remortgaging the buy to let to pay our residential mortgage off. I think the safety net option is best. Gives us exit if required in the future even though it goes against my instinct...
                                20-10-2019, 22:45 PM
                              • Borrowing against property to invest in shares etc
                                Clulass
                                New here, just wondered what people in property thought about borrowing against a BTL property, to invest in shares (either plcs or start ups) - so relatively risky but big growth potential.

Is it a totally crazy idea, or perhaps not, if you can afford the interest payments, and you accept...
                                17-10-2019, 08:40 AM
                              Working...
                              X