X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I get a better BTL interest rate?

Hi All

My current BTL 2yr fixed mortgage is coming to an end

Currently it’s 2.64% with 70%LTV (so the mortgage is a 75% LTV product)

i thought id be able to improve on this during the renewal, but my current lender wants to increase the rate to 3.39% with no fee or 2.84% with £995 fee, and my broker says the best around is 2.34% with an alternative lender

Am I missing something? Online I can see BTL products at 1.7% with 75%LTV

is it because it’s not a new mortgage but a renewal???

Many thanks

Such loans are based on the rental calculation being sufficient, whether the applicant is a standard or higher tax payer and what incentives are being sought like No Product Fees, Free Valuation etc but taking a conservative assessment that you are a higher Tax Pay with sufficient rental to meet assessment I have identified 9 lenders who are offering rates between 1.53 and 2.00 with variants on incentives across a broad range of product offerings.
    No you are not missing anything but maybe your broker is unless there is something which might affect such research like being a standard tax payer with declarable income below £25000.

Comment

Originally posted by bhodgkiss View Post

Am I missing something? Online I can see BTL products at 1.7% with 75%LTV

is it because it’s not a new mortgage but a renewal???
      Yes, the best rates are for new customers only with this lender.

They are having your pants down because they can.

If you move to a new lender, you will probably have to pay for a valuation, legal fees, plus the hassle of changing. You may also have to pay a mortgage exit fee (AKA 'vacating' fee), check your mortgage statement.

Bear in mind you will probably have to pay a broker fee if you decide to do a product transfer with this lender as they won't deal with customers direct.

Knowing the cynical contempt they treat existing customers with, maybe it is worth changing lender anyway.

Comment

To assist further , the following lenders will offer remortgage s with Free legal and standard valuation fees with zero Booking Fees;-
        Barclays 1.60
        Santander 1.69
        TSB 1.69
        Godiva 1.69
        BM Solutions 1.71

Godiva do offer a Free Val,Legal Fees and No Booking or Completion Fee for 1.85%

Boletus is correct , Most lenders offer a proc fee of 0.2% to Brokers for Product switches and therefore can justify charging a brokers fee to the client given thatassociate mortgage networks deduct at least 15% of any lenders fees plus associated Professional Indemnity Fees.
        I agree whole heartedly that lenders are keen to attract new business but not aloffer Product Switchfacilities .

Comment

Many thanks all

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Higher rate loans
            GaryE
            I have sourced a loan which is a second charge taken across the remaining equity in my property portfolio. My portfolio is at approximately 75% LtV. The gross value across 5 properties is £2.2m with outstanding mortgage balances of £1.5m soon to rise to £1.7m. I am hoping to release approximately...
            21-10-2019, 14:48 PM
          • Reply to Higher rate loans
            GaryE
            From what I understand the second charge is levied against individual properties until the required funds are raised. I.e. £100k against property 1, £80k against property 2 and so on. The lenders I currently use (BM and Aldermore) allow second charges as I have had them previously. If I was to move...
            22-10-2019, 07:53 AM
            loanarranger
            I agree completely with JPKeates, it is a matter which taxes any broker when clients are seeking to release equity but their present lenders do not offer further advances; I suspect that you have already investigated this and have been redirected to a type of lender of last resort” who creates a legal...
            21-10-2019, 15:38 PM
            jpkeates
            Are you sure your mortgage lender will consent to a second charge on the portfolio?
            I think the question might be academic, because I'd be amazed if they would.
            21-10-2019, 15:06 PM
          • Moving back in to BTL purchased under company
            BentuKala
            Hello everyone,

If a house is purchased under a company with BTL mortgage, is it possible later on to switch to residential mortgage so that the company director can stop letting it out and use it as main residence? Does residential mortgages for companies exist? Will it have an exorbitant...
            14-10-2019, 18:52 PM
          • Reply to Moving back in to BTL purchased under company
            Gordon999
            Residential mortgages are for "owner occupiers". A company is not "occupier" like a person occupies a residential property,
            21-10-2019, 09:35 AM
          • Pay off residential with buy to let
            2buytolet
            Hello,

First poster here looking for advice, this is our situation. We have one buy to let property mortgaged at £40000 and worth around £130000 and our home with a £65000 mortgage worth around £190000. We are looking to move house but keep both properties. Would it be wise to paid...
            15-10-2019, 19:42 PM
          • Reply to Pay off residential with buy to let
            loanarranger
            On a personal level I believe you have made the right decision. Best of luck going forward.
            21-10-2019, 05:39 AM
          • Reply to Pay off residential with buy to let
            2buytolet
            Oriiginal poster here. Thanks for the great advice. After careful consideration we have decided to raise capital from remortgaging the buy to let to pay our residential mortgage off. I think the safety net option is best. Gives us exit if required in the future even though it goes against my instinct...
            20-10-2019, 22:45 PM
          • Borrowing against property to invest in shares etc
            Clulass
            New here, just wondered what people in property thought about borrowing against a BTL property, to invest in shares (either plcs or start ups) - so relatively risky but big growth potential.

Is it a totally crazy idea, or perhaps not, if you can afford the interest payments, and you accept...
            17-10-2019, 08:40 AM
          Working...
          X