Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Standing Orders/Direct Debits/Faster Payments Scheme

Hi,
    It has just come to my notice that the previously working stranding order, has stopped ..... lack of funds in the tenants account.
    He has paid the back month payment by cheque! Guess what .... it was made of rubber (suprise, suprise).
    A tenancy agreement is in place, as is insurance for the rent (not the 1st month), so, questions.
    1. When do my requests for payment become harassment?
    2. I can give him notice now, but how can I recer my cash?
    3. What about court orders and eviction, if it comes to that.

I have rented out props. for a while, this is the first real problem.
    Any help much appreciated.

steve

It's ok to set up a standing order with your tenants but by doing it this way you are letting them have access to your 'sort code' and 'account number' and 'branch address'. I would recommend collecting the rent for the first 6-12mths as (a) you will get to know them a bit better (b) it gives you chance to inspect the condition of your property while collecting it. Then after that if you feel you can trust them, fine.

Comment

Originally posted by morgans1
      It's ok to set up a standing order with your tenants but by doing it this way you are letting them have access to your 'sort code' and 'account number' and 'branch address'. I would recommend collecting the rent for the first 6-12mths as (a) you will get to know them a bit better (b) it gives you chance to inspect the condition of your property while collecting it. Then after that if you feel you can trust them, fine.
      But don't you realise that every time you write a cheque to somebody, you are also providing them with all that information anyway? I can't say I've ever heard the advice "never give a cheque to someone unless you really trust them"!

In any case, presumably the tenants have been properly "vetted" before moving in, so they should be far more of a known quantity than many persons who you probably write cheques to. I consider giving a stranger the keys of my £100K house to be far more potentially risky than giving them my bank account details!

(Personally I always insist on rent being paid by standing order; I wouldn't have it any other way. Somebody else made a very valid point about ensuring the s/o is actioned very shortly after the tenant's salary is paid; that way it hits when their account is at 'fullest'; so least likely for the s/o to be 'bounced'.)

Comment

Fair point, each to their own I suppose, I happen to use a combination of both, but with new tenants I always collect manually, I like to see the property is been looked after over a period of time. And with reference to bank details etc. ID theft is a nightmare!

Comment

Standing Order Creation

My tenants rent is being paid for by one of the tenants parents who live in Dubai. How would it be best to set up a standing order?

Should I just give them my bank account details for them to set up the standing order themselves, or should I send them a standing order mandate that they can complete and send to their bank?

I've never seen the point of a paper standing order mandate. Is its purpose just to instruct their bank, or does it serve any other purpose? In reality the same process can be carried out by online banking? Just wondered if it was a purely administational procedure and if I would be missing out if I didnt use one.

Comment

1. Obviously, be careful about providing your Bank details to anyone else. Are you fairly sure that they are trustworthy people and not fraudsters?
            2. Best not to e-mail details, as the details could be intercepted.
            3. Why not ask your own Bank for guidance? Perhaps it could send details on a Bank-to-Bank basis.
            4. Remember that the payer can always revoke a Standing Order mandate. For benefit of any novices:
            a. STANDING ORDER: payer is in charge; instructs own Bank to send to payee's Bank; whereas
            b. DIRECT DEBIT: recipient is in charge (so has to comply with Bank of England indemnity rules- only major companies can use service as payees); instructs own Bank to collect from payer's Bank.
            JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
            4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Thanks for that. Yeah I'm sure they're not fraudsters. Although my details could equally be intercepted by post, I'll talk to my bank.

My main concern was the international use of standing order mandates, is this likely to be recognised abroad? I'd assume so...

Comment

Originally posted by TWR View Post
                Thanks for that. Yeah I'm sure they're not fraudsters. Although my details could equally be intercepted by post, I'll talk to my bank.

My main concern was the international use of standing order mandates, is this likely to be recognised abroad? I'd assume so...
                I suppose that a Standing Order can operate for a non-UK person. That seems to be one benfit of the IBAN numbering scheme; see a previous thread (on FINANCE forum) which I started about this topic.
                1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

I spoke to Halifax and they said there wasnt any other way of doing it, so I'll probably create a standing order mandate and email it to them. They said it wouldnt be a problem setting up one from abroad, although the payers bank may charge them if they are not international such as HSBC.

Comment

One of my former tenants was a student from Portugal, and his parents paid his rent from there, regular as clockwork, direct into my bank.

Clearly you are going to have to give a tenant your bank details if you want them to pay that way, so apart from the possibility of your details being intercepted in the post or e-mail, I don't see there's a problem. Saves on having to muck about with non-sterling cheques where you'd have to pay it in and meet bank charges too.

Comment

TWR: will remittances from Dubai be in:
                      a. £sterling; or
                      b. other (e.g. Dubaian) currency, in which case extra bank fees might be levied as Surrey mentions?

Comment

Doesn't really matter, I would say, as it is usually stated that "the sum of £XX must be paid into the nominated bank account", not "the sum of £XX minus bank charges". Check the wording of the agreement.

Comment

Delays in receiving rent by standing order from tenant

I always have a bank standing order arranged from my tenants. I cannot understand why they take so long to transfer particularly if the date for payment falls on a Saturday. I am checking my internet bank account sometimes as long as 10 days after and they are not paid in. i have spoken to my own bank about this and they say they should be in my bank within 3/4 days .How long should they take and how long are other landlords experiencing.

Comment

About 3 days is the norm... however I think it may be a lot longer if the originating account is not with a conventional clearing back, eg with a building society... could that be the case here? #

If not is your tenant simply actioning a manual bank transfer each time, at a date to suit him - can your bank confirm whether it's definitely a standing order?

Comment

Yes. A standing order payment takes no longer than clearing a cheque; really, it ought to be much quicker. Do the tenants pay the s/o from a non-standard Bank (or from a Building Society)? If they and you are using "high-street" major Banks, the delays are incomprehensible.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Anyone Buying At Present?
                                by amy131
                                I own a 4 bed property in Bristol. Cost £195k in 2016, now worth £230-240k, all rooms very good sizes, ex. LA. The house has two reception rooms so I use one as the fourth bedroom. My rental yield currently is 8% with all bedrooms rented based on purchase price which is now on the low side for the...
                                10-08-2020, 23:14 PM
                              • Anyone Buying At Present?
                                by woodbine66
                                Wondering if BTL investors are buying at the moment, taking into account property prices and uncertainty over Corona, jobs and the economy? Property prices still seem to be holding up near me and lots still selling. Anyone care to predict what's going to happen to prices and demand in near future....
                                04-08-2020, 12:27 PM
                                by hech123
                                Look further North. You can much better yields and the market is only getting going there. Lots of interest and competition...
                                10-08-2020, 18:30 PM
                              • Mortgage News
                                by loanarranger
                                The following article has appeared in one of the Mortgage Trade journals reporting on views expressed by the Association of Mortgage Intermediaries an influential trade body within the mortgage industry.

"Mortgage rates are likely to rise in the first quarter of 2016 as lenders look...
                                23-12-2015, 19:43 PM
                              • Reply to Mortgage News
                                by loanarranger
                                Gatehouse Bank have announced their withdrawal from accepting mortgage applications on New Build Flats citing an increased volume of application for both Homeownership but also BtL investors. I suspect that they like other lenders are taking cover for the present until certification of Fire Safety compliance...
                                10-08-2020, 09:41 AM
                              • Mortgages - Buy 2 Let v. Vacation Rentals
                                by Halfbob
                                On verge of organising a Buy to Let interest only mortgage at a pretty good rate but had a last minute rethink. May now do vacation Rentals in the property we're buying as the location lends itself to that and there's the Tax Advantage of Mortgage Interest being an allowable deduction from the Taxable...
                                08-08-2020, 12:21 PM
                              • Reply to Mortgages - Buy 2 Let v. Vacation Rentals
                                by Halfbob
                                Interesting, thanks for that. It would very much be a "summer season" and other School Holiday type Vacation Property, so that wouldn't be disastrous. Other than the fact that if it's available to Let for less than 210 days per year you can't claim Mortgage Interest Tax Relief. But then...
                                09-08-2020, 18:53 PM
                                by doobrey
                                Yields seem fairly horrendous. £850 pcm on a £220k property is 4.6% gross with no voids.

Rental return is low, compliance requirements and risk are high.

I don't see much of a case for buying unless you can do something clever or find something genuinely underpriced.
                                09-08-2020, 16:05 PM
                                by Section20z
                                Don't forget that London already restricts holiday letting to 90 days a year (without planning consent) and it is likely other areas will follow with similar restrictions.
                                09-08-2020, 14:45 PM
                                by loanarranger
                                Thanks for replying in such a professional manner.

If the short term lender indicates limited or zero demand having paid valuation and possibly non refundable applications fees, then your broker will need to research the BtL market and source a conventional lending option.
                                Please...
                                09-08-2020, 12:20 PM
                              Working...
                              X