Should I sell my house with tenant in Situ or vacant?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I sell my house with tenant in Situ or vacant?

hello everyone

I moved into my house on the Wirral a number of years ago and, after finding the love of a good woman, found myself becoming an accidental landlord. However, the time has come to sell the property.

I have rented the property to the same tenant for the last 5 years with no issues at all. I have discussed with him that I intend to sell and gave him first refusal, but he is not in a position to buy.
    He has suggested that he would like to remain at the house if the option was available and so I feel somewhat obliged to look after him!!

thus my question...

if selling in situ is viable, what are the best companies to market the property? I went with a local agent who talked the talk, stating they have a big database of clients 9suggesting investors) but just turned out to be smoke blowing as it was clearly marketed to private sellers 9no mention of a tenant in situ.

Any directionwould be appreciated.

Just tell your selling agent to advertise the property properly.

You will have two conflicting arguments.
    Any investor will want to buy at a discount, they're not under any pressure to buy your specific property so, unlike a conventional buyer, there's less emotional investment,
    On the plus side, they'll be essentially cash buyers (even with a mortgage it's much less complicated).
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I agree 100% with JPKeates, selling the property with the benefit of a tenant with a solid payment profile will indeed attract investors but the trade off is that they would be seeking a significant discount to the asking price, having said that if you yourself are not under any pressure you might be able to mitigate the level of discount by making your appointed agent aware that you might consider a discount but only within reasonable limits. If the property is A1 with good location you might be successful but there are as you will appreciate there are no guarantees so if this were to be the case then you will have to apologise to your tenant and offer the property with full vacant possession but remember if the property looks tired once he vacated then you may have to spend money to put matters right and then the question is how much and how does this equate to a % discount.

Comment

Thanks both.

I get that investors will want it at a discount, what I don’t want is my pants pulled down. I’ve googled and seen the ads of “cash buyers” and the warnings of scams etc.

so is there an investor equivalent of “right move” where I can bring my house to the attention of potential investors do that I can weigh up the % difference, or is it a case of going to estate agents and just hope they do have a portfolio of investors?

Comment

Look at auction results for similar sales.
          Selling with a tenant is like the difference between trade and retail.

Comment

I regret there are no such systems in place apart from that mentioned by Boletus.You can of course go to Rightmove Sold Prices, set a radius of 0.25 mile and then you might get accurate figures but remember most relate to sales made several months before even though the completion date is appropriate 3 months ago. If there are no immediate sales then revert to what identical properties are currently on the market noting that the prices achieved are invariably lower than the asking price.

Comment

I disagree that a discount is inevitable. I have gladly purchased property at market rate with tenant in situ where I could ascertain the reliability of the tenant and have faith in the LL paperwork.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Higher rate loans
                GaryE
                I have sourced a loan which is a second charge taken across the remaining equity in my property portfolio. My portfolio is at approximately 75% LtV. The gross value across 5 properties is £2.2m with outstanding mortgage balances of £1.5m soon to rise to £1.7m. I am hoping to release approximately...
                21-10-2019, 14:48 PM
              • Reply to Higher rate loans
                GaryE
                From what I understand the second charge is levied against individual properties until the required funds are raised. I.e. £100k against property 1, £80k against property 2 and so on. The lenders I currently use (BM and Aldermore) allow second charges as I have had them previously. If I was to move...
                22-10-2019, 07:53 AM
                loanarranger
                I agree completely with JPKeates, it is a matter which taxes any broker when clients are seeking to release equity but their present lenders do not offer further advances; I suspect that you have already investigated this and have been redirected to a type of lender of last resort” who creates a legal...
                21-10-2019, 15:38 PM
                jpkeates
                Are you sure your mortgage lender will consent to a second charge on the portfolio?
                I think the question might be academic, because I'd be amazed if they would.
                21-10-2019, 15:06 PM
              • Moving back in to BTL purchased under company
                BentuKala
                Hello everyone,

If a house is purchased under a company with BTL mortgage, is it possible later on to switch to residential mortgage so that the company director can stop letting it out and use it as main residence? Does residential mortgages for companies exist? Will it have an exorbitant...
                14-10-2019, 18:52 PM
              • Reply to Moving back in to BTL purchased under company
                Gordon999
                Residential mortgages are for "owner occupiers". A company is not "occupier" like a person occupies a residential property,
                21-10-2019, 09:35 AM
              • Pay off residential with buy to let
                2buytolet
                Hello,

First poster here looking for advice, this is our situation. We have one buy to let property mortgaged at £40000 and worth around £130000 and our home with a £65000 mortgage worth around £190000. We are looking to move house but keep both properties. Would it be wise to paid...
                15-10-2019, 19:42 PM
              • Reply to Pay off residential with buy to let
                loanarranger
                On a personal level I believe you have made the right decision. Best of luck going forward.
                21-10-2019, 05:39 AM
              • Reply to Pay off residential with buy to let
                2buytolet
                Oriiginal poster here. Thanks for the great advice. After careful consideration we have decided to raise capital from remortgaging the buy to let to pay our residential mortgage off. I think the safety net option is best. Gives us exit if required in the future even though it goes against my instinct...
                20-10-2019, 22:45 PM
              • Borrowing against property to invest in shares etc
                Clulass
                New here, just wondered what people in property thought about borrowing against a BTL property, to invest in shares (either plcs or start ups) - so relatively risky but big growth potential.

Is it a totally crazy idea, or perhaps not, if you can afford the interest payments, and you accept...
                17-10-2019, 08:40 AM
              Working...
              X