This could prove very scary

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This could prove very scary

i know the topic has been simmering amongst a section of the Labour Party but if they were to succeed in gaining a majority at a general election , all hell could be let loose in the Private Rental Sector.

”Labour could give tenants who rent private homes the right to buy them at a cut-price rate, the Shadow Chancellor has revealed.

John McDonnell outlined the party’s incendiary plans to ‘tackle the burgeoning buy-to-let market’ in a bombshell interview last night.

The dramatic policy is designed to clamp down on middle-class families who buy a second property as a nest egg for their retirement.

The suggestion from the Shadow Chancellor – applying Margaret Thatcher’s iconic right for council tenants to buy their homes to those who rent properties from millions of private landlords – offers a chilling insight into the consequences of a Labour victory in any snap election.”

All things being equal the great public of England (specifically) is not dumb enough to vote a Fascist-Marxist government of McDonnel's sort into power. But a congruence of unfortunate events could propel us into that position. Chilling indeed. There will be very few winners of such an outcome, least of all our uncomprehending and gullible youth.

Comment

Labour party report here;

https://landforthemany.uk/preface/

In the unlikely event of it happening, there are few of my tenants that are willing and able to buy.
      Depending on the definition of 'reasonable' and 'cut-price rate', I'd be happy to sell off a few.
      It would also take a long time to come into force, during which I'd take measures to mitigate.
      And rents would increase considerably.

Comment

Originally posted by boletus View Post
        Labour party report here;
        https://landforthemany.uk/preface/
        Devised by and brought to you by arch hypocrite George Monbiot

In an interview with the Times in 2006, the environmental activist chatted about leaving his four-bedroomed Oxford home, for a rambling farmhouse in half an acre of unspoilt Welsh countryside:
        Monbiot is planning to move to deepest Wales, appropriately enough, to a “place that has very little pollution”, though he worries that leaving behind his “ecological disaster” of a home means “someone else will be wrecking the planet”. He and Angharad, 29, his television producer wife, have spent £280,000 on a four-bedroom wreck, with half an acre of land in Machynlleth in mid-Wales. Their aim is to spend a year and £100,000 making it incomparably green.

Comment

The only benefit to a tenant of any right to buy is the significantly reduced price of the property, which moves it into the tenant's price range.

Obviously not all tenants will be able to afford to buy, but knock £80 - 100k off a property value and it's enough for some people.

And anyone who can afford it would be daft not to, wait the 5 years or so, and sell it to release that discount as profit.
          Which is how so many of the properties end up with BTL landlords owning them over time.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Guess that's even less of an incentive to take a tenant long term, isn't it? Let someone stay on for ten years, and you have to sell your property to him for buttons.

These lefties really should decide what they want in terms of housing policy.

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
              Guess that's even less of an incentive to take a tenant long term, isn't it? Let someone stay on for ten years, and you have to sell your property to him for buttons.

These lefties really should decide what they want in terms of housing policy.
              You kind of assume you will have a choice as to your decision to take a long term tenant JK0?

But left, right, anyway, I don't know what that means. They are fascists certainly. Someone said that the only real differece between fascists of the "right" and so called "left" is that the former want a forced nationalistic take-over by - well nationalists, and the lefties want a takeover by their choice set of outsiders or a bizarre philosophy. However the key to the operation of both is the underpinning of their forced choices (such as deprivation of property which is a key part of the fascist agenda) by violence, which is the only way it can be done. Politics of the jackboot.

Comment

This might work in London but I would highly suspect a massive amount of tenants especially DSS would not actually be able to buy anything. If a rule like this comes in expect may landlords to immediately evict any working tenants who do qualify

Comment

If the starts trying to take control of the property of private individuals and companies (property and shares) it would encounter a number of legal issues, starting with those shares and properties belonged to non-UK citizens (who might be supported by their own legal system), corporations (who's property many shares are) and the UK legal system.

It's a nightmare enforcing a compulsory purchase (which is at market rate) to build something useful, like a road. The idea of forcing the sale of thousands of properties (before landlords could repossess from everyone) is a bit unrealistic.

The current Labour leadership (excluding Tom Watson) are like the people who used to run Student Unions when the enemy was "Thatch".
                  When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                  Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Just wondering, as an inexperienced private landlord: Could the letting contracts be tweaked from the outset to rule out any enforced sale down the line?

Comment

Originally posted by andy d View Post
                      Just wondering, as an inexperienced private landlord: Could the letting contracts be tweaked from the outset to rule out any enforced sale down the line?
                      I have an idea of a way of discouraging this, but I'm not going to mention it here in case Corbyn is reading.

Comment

The last time this was proposed "seriously", the idea was that the discount would be subsidised by the state, so the tenant would get the benefit and the landlord wouldn't be out of pocket (other than having no further income).

So the landlord would buy another property, and nothing would be gained (other than the state is out of pocket for the discount) - compensated for by some SDLT.

The additional cost to the landlord would have to buy a slightly cheaper property, and the whole rental market remains the same size with slightly worse properties each iteration.

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                          The last time this was proposed "seriously", the idea was that the discount would be subsidised by the state, so the tenant would get the benefit and the landlord wouldn't be out of pocket (other than having no further income).

So the landlord would buy another property, and nothing would be gained (other than the state is out of pocket for the discount) - compensated for by some SDLT.

The additional cost to the landlord would have to buy a slightly cheaper property, and the whole rental market remains the same size with slightly worse properties each iteration.
                          Hmm. Do you seriously think Corbyn is planning to pay the 'top-up'?

Comment

Originally posted by andy d View Post
                            The entire underpinning of landlord and tenant law as currently imagined is that contracts between people are irrelevant, and big brother has to rewrite them -- because big brother knows best it thinks, even when all parties to a contract know that big brother is a blithering fool (and where both parties know that big brother is damaging them both).

So unlikely.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post
                              The entire underpinning of landlord and tenant law as currently imagined is that contracts between people are irrelevant, and big brother has to rewrite them -- because big brother knows best it thinks, even when all parties to a contract know that big brother is a blithering fool (and where both parties know that big brother is damaging them both).
                              Or, put another way, the law passed by the monarch in parliament is supreme and cannot be varied by other agreements between the people.

That's the entire underpinning of all law, not just landlord and tenant law.
                              Although, I can't dispute that it's not always useful or sensible.

On the reverse side, the power inbalance between landlord and tenant is a problem for contractual agreements otherwise.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Higher rate loans
                                GaryE
                                I have sourced a loan which is a second charge taken across the remaining equity in my property portfolio. My portfolio is at approximately 75% LtV. The gross value across 5 properties is £2.2m with outstanding mortgage balances of £1.5m soon to rise to £1.7m. I am hoping to release approximately...
                                21-10-2019, 14:48 PM
                              • Reply to Higher rate loans
                                GaryE
                                From what I understand the second charge is levied against individual properties until the required funds are raised. I.e. £100k against property 1, £80k against property 2 and so on. The lenders I currently use (BM and Aldermore) allow second charges as I have had them previously. If I was to move...
                                22-10-2019, 07:53 AM
                                loanarranger
                                I agree completely with JPKeates, it is a matter which taxes any broker when clients are seeking to release equity but their present lenders do not offer further advances; I suspect that you have already investigated this and have been redirected to a type of lender of last resort” who creates a legal...
                                21-10-2019, 15:38 PM
                                jpkeates
                                Are you sure your mortgage lender will consent to a second charge on the portfolio?
                                I think the question might be academic, because I'd be amazed if they would.
                                21-10-2019, 15:06 PM
                              • Moving back in to BTL purchased under company
                                BentuKala
                                Hello everyone,

If a house is purchased under a company with BTL mortgage, is it possible later on to switch to residential mortgage so that the company director can stop letting it out and use it as main residence? Does residential mortgages for companies exist? Will it have an exorbitant...
                                14-10-2019, 18:52 PM
                              • Reply to Moving back in to BTL purchased under company
                                Gordon999
                                Residential mortgages are for "owner occupiers". A company is not "occupier" like a person occupies a residential property,
                                21-10-2019, 09:35 AM
                              • Pay off residential with buy to let
                                2buytolet
                                Hello,

First poster here looking for advice, this is our situation. We have one buy to let property mortgaged at £40000 and worth around £130000 and our home with a £65000 mortgage worth around £190000. We are looking to move house but keep both properties. Would it be wise to paid...
                                15-10-2019, 19:42 PM
                              • Reply to Pay off residential with buy to let
                                loanarranger
                                On a personal level I believe you have made the right decision. Best of luck going forward.
                                21-10-2019, 05:39 AM
                              • Reply to Pay off residential with buy to let
                                2buytolet
                                Oriiginal poster here. Thanks for the great advice. After careful consideration we have decided to raise capital from remortgaging the buy to let to pay our residential mortgage off. I think the safety net option is best. Gives us exit if required in the future even though it goes against my instinct...
                                20-10-2019, 22:45 PM
                              • Borrowing against property to invest in shares etc
                                Clulass
                                New here, just wondered what people in property thought about borrowing against a BTL property, to invest in shares (either plcs or start ups) - so relatively risky but big growth potential.

Is it a totally crazy idea, or perhaps not, if you can afford the interest payments, and you accept...
                                17-10-2019, 08:40 AM
                              Working...
                              X