Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most suitable easy to finance refurb and resell

Hi All.

I would like to ask for advice here please.

I am thinking about a proposal to buy properties, do it up and then sell it.

What would be the most suitable way to finance it?

if You are intent on literally buying unmodernised property or raven tired Units , refurb and immediately sell then I would suggest Bridging Finance could well be the answer, whilst not cheap when compared to conventional Buy to Let Funding Rates it does provide funding options where the interest payments can be paid Ona monthly basis or rolled up for the period of the short term loan arrangements, if the latter is effected and the resale takes place earlier than originally planned the interest overpayments are reimbursed.
    Once a lender becomes comfortable with your expertise they can often adjust terms since clearly they are in the business to lend to sound borrowers.
    Another option is to buy such property and have as an exit route a long term mortgage based against the enhanced capital value and then decide whether to hold short, medium or long term, however conventional lenders do not take kindly to lending money on a supposed long term basis including any initial incentive rate only to have the loan repaid after a relatively short period of time

Comment

Thanks for your comprehensive answer, it's more than just a simple refurb. Most of the time it's often works which will take in excess of 6 months, then add another 3-4 months to sell it.

Is a bridge still the best solution in this case, the rates are astronomical when I researched, when you also consider that I only operate in London, the figures here are huge.

Comment

You might want to consider renting for a period (18-30) months after the improvement.
        There's a considerable difference in the funding options available, because that is (at least arguably) a BTL business not a Property Development business.

If you buy, improve and sell within 6-12 months, what you're doing is property development.
        Which means the increase in value would be treated as income, not capital gain.
        Which almost certainly means you would need to operate through some kind of company structure (to avoid returning too much of your gain to HMRC) and the finance (and guarantees) required for that are really off putting.

The overall options are conventionally, start small and cheap and work up, using the income from each development to fund the next larger development, have a lot of money so you can fund all or more of it or be a builder with a good track record.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Try goggle search for "bridge loans + refurbishment work "

Comment

If one were to seek a high percentage bridging loan then the annualised rates are indeed expensive and this is without taking account of the associated fees for valuation , legal and mortgage and if focusing on the London market then such a facility might rove too much to contemplate unless the potential and realistic capital enhancements can more than justify the exercise.
            Googling Bridge Loans will invariable produce a multiple list of mortgage brokers offering such facilities , and when speaking with them they will give a spread of funding options and the “average” rate of interest.
            What you are considering warrants speaking to a brokerage who has experience in the BtL sector and the associated funding of acquisition, refurbishment of property.
            Remember once you have established your credentials lenders are often prepared to negotiate on terms but don’t automatically think this will happen overnight.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Higher rate loans
              GaryE
              I have sourced a loan which is a second charge taken across the remaining equity in my property portfolio. My portfolio is at approximately 75% LtV. The gross value across 5 properties is £2.2m with outstanding mortgage balances of £1.5m soon to rise to £1.7m. I am hoping to release approximately...
              21-10-2019, 14:48 PM
            • Reply to Higher rate loans
              GaryE
              From what I understand the second charge is levied against individual properties until the required funds are raised. I.e. £100k against property 1, £80k against property 2 and so on. The lenders I currently use (BM and Aldermore) allow second charges as I have had them previously. If I was to move...
              22-10-2019, 07:53 AM
              loanarranger
              I agree completely with JPKeates, it is a matter which taxes any broker when clients are seeking to release equity but their present lenders do not offer further advances; I suspect that you have already investigated this and have been redirected to a type of lender of last resort” who creates a legal...
              21-10-2019, 15:38 PM
              jpkeates
              Are you sure your mortgage lender will consent to a second charge on the portfolio?
              I think the question might be academic, because I'd be amazed if they would.
              21-10-2019, 15:06 PM
            • Moving back in to BTL purchased under company
              BentuKala
              Hello everyone,

If a house is purchased under a company with BTL mortgage, is it possible later on to switch to residential mortgage so that the company director can stop letting it out and use it as main residence? Does residential mortgages for companies exist? Will it have an exorbitant...
              14-10-2019, 18:52 PM
            • Reply to Moving back in to BTL purchased under company
              Gordon999
              Residential mortgages are for "owner occupiers". A company is not "occupier" like a person occupies a residential property,
              21-10-2019, 09:35 AM
            • Pay off residential with buy to let
              2buytolet
              Hello,

First poster here looking for advice, this is our situation. We have one buy to let property mortgaged at £40000 and worth around £130000 and our home with a £65000 mortgage worth around £190000. We are looking to move house but keep both properties. Would it be wise to paid...
              15-10-2019, 19:42 PM
            • Reply to Pay off residential with buy to let
              loanarranger
              On a personal level I believe you have made the right decision. Best of luck going forward.
              21-10-2019, 05:39 AM
            • Reply to Pay off residential with buy to let
              2buytolet
              Oriiginal poster here. Thanks for the great advice. After careful consideration we have decided to raise capital from remortgaging the buy to let to pay our residential mortgage off. I think the safety net option is best. Gives us exit if required in the future even though it goes against my instinct...
              20-10-2019, 22:45 PM
            • Borrowing against property to invest in shares etc
              Clulass
              New here, just wondered what people in property thought about borrowing against a BTL property, to invest in shares (either plcs or start ups) - so relatively risky but big growth potential.

Is it a totally crazy idea, or perhaps not, if you can afford the interest payments, and you accept...
              17-10-2019, 08:40 AM
            Working...
            X