Mortgaging existing BTL to buy another — will I effectively be cash buyer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mortgaging existing BTL to buy another — will I effectively be cash buyer?

Hi there, good morning. First post and I hope this isn't too basic a question.

I have a BTL which I've had for more than 10 years now, and no longer has any mortgage. I'm part way through applying for a BTL mortgage on it in order to raise funds for a new BTL. My question is, will the release of funds be contingent on the purchase of the new property going through, like it is with a conventional house purchase? The new mortgage won't be secured on the new property, so I had assumed that the funds would just be released when the application is successful but they are asking for full details of the new property. Thanks for any info. Would obviously be helpful from a negotiating point of view to be a cash buyer.

Cheers

Lenders are required to be much more diligent than they used to be.

If you've told them you plan to purchase a new property, they'll be interested in it as it's going to be part of the income you use to pay them.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Whenever I've re-mortgaged I've always received the funds to do as I please with. However, things have changed a lot since I last did this.

Comment

Thanks both, looks like I should proceed and see what they say. The affordability is based on the rent on the existing BTL alone, or that's all the information they've asked for in the application so far at least. Really appreciate your quick replies, thanks.

Comment

Many lenders will accept at face value the declaration as to what the monies are for , others however do make the funding contingent on a new property transaction being processed with evidence of such being provided.

If you can disclose the lender I will gladly research and let you know if only to assuage any concerns on your part.

Comment

You are only a "cash buyer" if you have "ready cash funds in your bank account" to pay immediately.

Comment

The one time I did this I had already been turned down for a mortgage on the property I wanted to buy by the same lender (the only one who would lend to me at that time). So they already had all the details.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Legal fees or cashback for remortgaging
                blinko
                Hi guys I'm doing my first ever remortgage I wanted to ask I have 2 products to choose from both are offering me a good rate 5 year fixed 2.1% £1,000 arrangement free with free standard valuation but one product offers free legal fees and the other offers £300 cashback which one do you think I should...
                16-07-2019, 17:18 PM
              • Reply to Legal fees or cashback for remortgaging
                loanarranger
                Much depends on the firm being used by the lender. By and large these firms are “ Conveyancing Factories” and you would be a case number with no guarantee of always speaking with the same case administrator. Much depends on how urgent you are seeking the Remortgage , I would suggest you get a quote...
                16-07-2019, 19:19 PM
              • Type of bank account for Service Charges
                deb_hyp
                Hoping someone can advise. We have a building that's been converted into 5 flats and we have set up a Ltd management company, which is run by all the flat owners. Each owner has a share in the company and we are all directors of the company. We want to setup a new bank account for collecting/holding...
                03-06-2019, 11:03 AM
              • Reply to Type of bank account for Service Charges
                eagle2
                Lloyds advertise a "designated client account" which is more appropriate than their treasurer's account. There should be no transaction charges,...
                12-07-2019, 04:11 AM
              • Reply to Type of bank account for Service Charges
                AndrewDod
                There is much more than the type of account -- It needs to be held in Trust. Is a legal requirement under Section 42

You need to get the words "trust" and "client" into the name of the account if at all possible, as well as the name of the property, e.g:
                11-07-2019, 21:09 PM
              • Mortgage Query - Buy To Let
                The_Fitz
                Good Afternoon,

Myself and my wife are looking to rent out our home that we live in. It is our only property and we are moving to Ireland but will look to return at a future date (maybe 3-5 years) to the property.

I sent in an application for a CTL a few months ago but it...
                10-07-2019, 12:06 PM
              • Reply to Mortgage Query - Buy To Let
                loanarranger
                I hope indeed that your wishes are granted, unfortunately Barclays have not been consistent in their underwriting assessments resulting in much wailing and gnashing of teeth , and that is me a broker.
                11-07-2019, 16:09 PM
              • Bridging Loan
                beakermoo
                What are the best sort of rates (set up costs and monthly interest rate) I can expect on a bridging loan. This is to pay off a mortgage (avoid a repossession) due to a sale on the property falling through just before exchange. The exit strategy would be selling the property which is being actively marketed...
                09-07-2019, 13:57 PM
              • Reply to Bridging Loan
                beakermoo
                Thank you both for the sound advice. I'm trying to work something out with this.
                11-07-2019, 10:56 AM
              • Reply to Mortgage Query - Buy To Let
                The_Fitz
                Good advice - thank you very much.

My product finished at the end of September (moves from 2.9% to 3.2%) so I suppose I will wait until then, and put in the request for the CTL with Barclays.

I'll hold off instructing the letting agent to do anything until then.

11-07-2019, 09:13 AM
              Working...
              X