Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parking spaces as a BTL Investment

Hi,

This may be a bit of a break from the normal buy to let property investment. However I am seriously considering buying an underground parking space in Liverpool city centre (my place of work) as a high yielding investment.

I have the option to purchase a parking space in a secure, underground parking lot underneath a new development of city centre apartments. After doing my research I have noticed that parking spaces rent for between £100-£125 per month and can be purchased for £10,000. This is a yield of 12% to 15% (before small service charges are deducted) which just seems too good to turn down.
    I was wondering if anyone has gone down the route of this investment before or if anyone on here actually owns a parking space as an investment?

I understand it will be almost impossible to leverage against the parking space, therefore my cash will be locked away essentially. But other than this I’m struggling to see the down sides.

with the level of developments in Liverpool city centre and increased population I think I should always find an occupier for the space.

Does anyone have any experience of this?

Thanks

One word of caution , many new developments of flats have a restriction within the lease that preclude the sale of a car parking space to anyone other than a bonafide owner of another unit within the complex and such consents have to be registered via the Managing Agents. Another factor to check is whether the car parking space is included in the Title Deeds of the flat which the owner wishes to sell off, should this be the case I would suggest you ask the vendor to provide you with consent from the mortgagee for it to be removed and for your solicitor to check that the sale of the space has been removed from the title.

Comment

How are you going to stop all and sundry from parking there? Is there a warden controlling it?

Comment

If it is anything like the development I have involvement with , the straight answer is Yes , someone makes regular checks and if someone is deemed to have parked “illegally” a fine of £100 is charged with a discount of £25 if paid within 7 days. I know this to my own cost parking in the allotted space which still was registered in my tenants name.

Comment

If it is included in the demise, there will almost certainly be a clause forbidding sub-letting or otherwise parting with part of the property, not that that seems to stop the landlords in my flats (with garages).

It is illegal to charge parking fines. What might appear to be fines are actually compensation (and have to obey the rules about being proportionate).

Comment

Usually the parking space is covered under the lease term for the flat.

The ownership of parking space may be restricted to leaseholders in the block of flats by local council

Comment

I was wonder if there is any requirement to pay annual ground rent , service charge and council tax on the parking space ( band A ? ) ?.

Is it sold on a 125 years lease ?and does the ground rent double every 10 year ?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Legal fees or cashback for remortgaging
                blinko
                Hi guys I'm doing my first ever remortgage I wanted to ask I have 2 products to choose from both are offering me a good rate 5 year fixed 2.1% £1,000 arrangement free with free standard valuation but one product offers free legal fees and the other offers £300 cashback which one do you think I should...
                16-07-2019, 17:18 PM
              • Reply to Legal fees or cashback for remortgaging
                blinko
                Yeah good idea thanks for your thoughts . I agree if i can get it done via proper solicitor myself for 300 makes sense too . I'll have a shop around and see what I can get for 300 maybe even cheaper lol...
                17-07-2019, 15:09 PM
                boletus
                From long bitter experience, I'd never use bucket shop conveyancers for a purchase.

Re mortgage cost me £400 from a real solicitor. For the sake of £100, I'd pay the extra, not just for the better service but also to build my business relationship. Just asked my solicitor a totally unrelated...
                17-07-2019, 14:49 PM
                loanarranger
                Much depends on the firm being used by the lender. By and large these firms are “ Conveyancing Factories” and you would be a case number with no guarantee of always speaking with the same case administrator. Much depends on how urgent you are seeking the Remortgage , I would suggest you get a quote...
                16-07-2019, 19:19 PM
              • Type of bank account for Service Charges
                deb_hyp
                Hoping someone can advise. We have a building that's been converted into 5 flats and we have set up a Ltd management company, which is run by all the flat owners. Each owner has a share in the company and we are all directors of the company. We want to setup a new bank account for collecting/holding...
                03-06-2019, 11:03 AM
              • Reply to Type of bank account for Service Charges
                eagle2
                Lloyds advertise a "designated client account" which is more appropriate than their treasurer's account. There should be no transaction charges,...
                12-07-2019, 04:11 AM
              • Reply to Type of bank account for Service Charges
                AndrewDod
                There is much more than the type of account -- It needs to be held in Trust. Is a legal requirement under Section 42

You need to get the words "trust" and "client" into the name of the account if at all possible, as well as the name of the property, e.g:
                11-07-2019, 21:09 PM
              • Mortgage Query - Buy To Let
                The_Fitz
                Good Afternoon,

Myself and my wife are looking to rent out our home that we live in. It is our only property and we are moving to Ireland but will look to return at a future date (maybe 3-5 years) to the property.

I sent in an application for a CTL a few months ago but it...
                10-07-2019, 12:06 PM
              • Reply to Mortgage Query - Buy To Let
                loanarranger
                I hope indeed that your wishes are granted, unfortunately Barclays have not been consistent in their underwriting assessments resulting in much wailing and gnashing of teeth , and that is me a broker.
                11-07-2019, 16:09 PM
              • Bridging Loan
                beakermoo
                What are the best sort of rates (set up costs and monthly interest rate) I can expect on a bridging loan. This is to pay off a mortgage (avoid a repossession) due to a sale on the property falling through just before exchange. The exit strategy would be selling the property which is being actively marketed...
                09-07-2019, 13:57 PM
              Working...
              X