Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time landlord - questions on tax

Hi there,

I am recently a first time landlord. I have everything covered but just have some questions regarding tax on rental income:

- I know that i need to keep invoices for all the expenses allowable and that my tax liability can be calculated on a cash basis (since total gross rent does not exceed £150k). I pay a service charge on the first of the month of £100 every month. Since i let out my property halfway in the month, when does the service charge start being taken into account as expenses allowable, from the first payment prior to when the tenancy started or after? I had previous lived in the property as my residence. I moved out a month before the tenancy started.

- I pay the service charge to the guy who manages the building (he lives and owns one of the flats in the building as well). How do i get proof for payment of this service charge in case HMRC ask? There is only financial accounts available for the building which shows total service charge receipts but its the total not just from me.

- Can i claim travel expense, if so how do I keep a record for this? I travel by car if there are any issues with the property. What are the rules around this, i heard its a certain cost per mile driven? How to keep records?

- Can i use invoices as proof, or does it have to be receipts?

That is all for now.

Many thanks for your input in advance.

You can count the first payment made after your date of moving out as "the beginning of service charges ".

If you open a separate bank account for rent money coming in and pay out expenses by cheque, the bank statements will serve as your proof of your payments. You can claim 45p per mile travel expense to visit the property and pay yourself by cheque.

Comment

Its a bit late to do it that way as i used one account to pay rent in and another account (credit card) to pay for some of the expenses.

Anyone else can answer my questions?

Thanks

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Pay off residential with buy to let
        2buytolet
        Hello,

First poster here looking for advice, this is our situation. We have one buy to let property mortgaged at £40000 and worth around £130000 and our home with a £65000 mortgage worth around £190000. We are looking to move house but keep both properties. Would it be wise to paid...
        15-10-2019, 19:42 PM
      • Reply to Pay off residential with buy to let
        loanarranger
        Hi Boletus, before I responded to your reply I thought I would seek legal opinion since your view on Non Recourse Lending was slightly at variance to my understanding and I am detailing the majority of the response, I would add that he is also a director of a Buy to Let lender.
        Given that the...
        16-10-2019, 21:54 PM
        boletus
        I'm sure loanarranger is well aware but just to point out to others reading, UK BTL mortgages are not non-recourse lending.
        i.e if you default on a BTL loan, it doesn't end with the lender repossessing the BTL property, they can still come after your main residence or other assets.

16-10-2019, 13:09 PM
        loanarranger
        Boletus , you make an interesting observation , however I have always taken a “ conservative” approach to such matters believing that having one’s main residence unencumbered is a safety net should financial difficulties ensue and adversely affect the financials of investment properties . Others...
        16-10-2019, 11:52 AM
        boletus
        That is the cleanest solution but not the best financially once the new S24 tax rules are fully implemented.

There is quite a lot to this but the crux is that residential mortgages are cheaper than BTL.

e.g
        interest on £100,000 BTL mortgage at 2.5% - 20% tax 'relief'
        16-10-2019, 10:03 AM
        loanarranger
        If the figures stack up I would always recommend paying off the residential mortgage given that there are no tax benefits to be used against the mortgage interest element of the loan; whereas there still remains a slight advantage in the tax regime for residential property investments.
        Given that...
        15-10-2019, 20:51 PM
      • £25K personal income criteria for re-mortgaging BTL
        hospitality
        Recently read in propertygeek about remortgage: <quote> most mortgage lenders want to see personal income of at least £25,000 that isn't derived from rents. Even if you buy all the properties while you're still working, as soon as you quit that income is gone – so you might struggle when the...
        14-10-2019, 21:51 PM
      • Reply to £25K personal income criteria for re-mortgaging BTL
        loanarranger
        May I add a degree of caution, there are very few underwriters who understand the legitimacy of offsetting carried forward losses incurred in previous years and which allow the profits to be adjusted which in a number of instances will either show a continued loss or a much reduced net profit. In such...
        15-10-2019, 18:45 PM
        topshelf
        Thank you Hospitality, was just about to post the same question tonight, in two month time I can take early retirement, receive a pension of 14k per year (+ lump sum) and a income of 42k gross on my rentals, per year I have 14 months before my next rate change and was starting to get concerned a...
        15-10-2019, 17:41 PM
        loanarranger
        Not all lenders have the requirement of a minimum independent income of £25000 so please don’t lose heart if presently one’s income, excluding rental income, falls below the minimum.
        In the event that one “retires” from main stream employment or self employment and have a property portfolio...
        15-10-2019, 07:48 AM
      Working...
      X