X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overpay which mortgage?

Hi All. We have a BTL interest only mortgage @ 3.88% on rental
    We also have a interest only mortgage on our residental house @ 2.05%
    If miraculously we have money to overpay , which should we choose?
    I thought 3.88% as higher interest , wife says 2.05% as its our residence and leave more owing on rental so maybe less CGT?
    TIA for any answers

I don't think your mortgage has any bearing on CGT.

Even taking 40% tax relief off 3.88% is more than 2.05%, so I'd say the BTL is the one to overpay.

Comment

Ok thanks. We thought overpaying on the rental increases the profit ie more CGT

Comment

CGT is charged on what you get for a house versus what you paid for it. Whether you have a mortgage to pay off or not is immaterial.

Comment

Thank you. Everyday,s a school day

Comment

I would always think it's best to pay off your own mortgage first. We pay capital and interest on our own mortgage and then interest only on our 5 buytolets Only three more years and our own mortgage is paid off. Will then start paying the buytolet mortgages off.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Mortgage ERC
              Landlord4321
              Good evening,

I would be interested if anyone had any views on mortgage early repayment charges. Unfortunately my circumstances have changed significantly over the last 8 months and I am in a situation where I am forced to sell my buy to let property, mainly due to a change in my financial...
              19-07-2019, 20:18 PM
            • Reply to Mortgage ERC
              loanarranger
              I think that your issue is experienced by many novice investors and naturally the whipping boy has together lender so may I take this opportunity of clarifying certain aspects of product pricing and by association funding.
              If you take out BM Midshires , The Mortgage Works who are funded by Lloyd’s...
              20-07-2019, 16:06 PM
            • Reply to Mortgage ERC
              Landlord4321
              I believe the ERC is a set rate. Some customers will pay the fee that will equate to less than the existing interest balance so will benefit. Other customers nearing the latter part of the deal will pay a charge considerably higher than the remaining interest balance.

I guess like anything...
              20-07-2019, 11:30 AM
            • Refinancing BTL when beneficial ownership has been moved into an LLP
              StevieG
              I moved the beneficial ownership rights to my properties into an LLP two years ago in response to section 24; however, my existing broker is unable to obtain a new mortgage for one of the properties as the tax computations associated with my SATRs now have a line for 'income from partnership' instead...
              20-07-2019, 10:29 AM
            • Legal fees or cashback for remortgaging
              blinko
              Hi guys I'm doing my first ever remortgage I wanted to ask I have 2 products to choose from both are offering me a good rate 5 year fixed 2.1% £1,000 arrangement free with free standard valuation but one product offers free legal fees and the other offers £300 cashback which one do you think I should...
              16-07-2019, 17:18 PM
            • Reply to Legal fees or cashback for remortgaging
              loanarranger
              I agree it allows the borrower a greater degree of control over the legal processes.
              20-07-2019, 10:02 AM
            • Reply to Legal fees or cashback for remortgaging
              jpkeates
              Hello 2008, welcome back!...
              20-07-2019, 08:48 AM
            • Reply to Mortgage ERC
              loanarranger
              You are indeed correct that Fixed Rate Mortgages do have products which have an ERC on a reducing scale, a feature which is fully detailed in the Key Facts Illustration, unfortunately as in your case the ERC is set at a Fixed percentage throughout the initial incentive period, this in itself might have...
              20-07-2019, 04:11 AM
            • Reply to Mortgage ERC
              Landlord4321
              Most mortgage companies offer a progressive ERC where the fee changes every year which reflects the lenders actual losses. In this case the ECR is fixed for the entire period, and I'm nearing the end of my term.

The charge they will make is a lot more than the interest for the remaining...
              19-07-2019, 23:20 PM
            • Reply to Mortgage ERC
              boletus
              If you accept you freely entered into a business contract where the terms were explicitly stated and you were aware of those terms, then why now say it is "daylight robbery" to be held to those terms?...
              19-07-2019, 22:39 PM
            Working...
            X