X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overpay which mortgage?

Hi All. We have a BTL interest only mortgage @ 3.88% on rental
    We also have a interest only mortgage on our residental house @ 2.05%
    If miraculously we have money to overpay , which should we choose?
    I thought 3.88% as higher interest , wife says 2.05% as its our residence and leave more owing on rental so maybe less CGT?
    TIA for any answers

I don't think your mortgage has any bearing on CGT.

Even taking 40% tax relief off 3.88% is more than 2.05%, so I'd say the BTL is the one to overpay.

Comment

Ok thanks. We thought overpaying on the rental increases the profit ie more CGT

Comment

CGT is charged on what you get for a house versus what you paid for it. Whether you have a mortgage to pay off or not is immaterial.

Comment

Thank you. Everyday,s a school day

Comment

I would always think it's best to pay off your own mortgage first. We pay capital and interest on our own mortgage and then interest only on our 5 buytolets Only three more years and our own mortgage is paid off. Will then start paying the buytolet mortgages off.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Pay off residential with buy to let
              2buytolet
              Hello,

First poster here looking for advice, this is our situation. We have one buy to let property mortgaged at £40000 and worth around £130000 and our home with a £65000 mortgage worth around £190000. We are looking to move house but keep both properties. Would it be wise to paid...
              15-10-2019, 19:42 PM
            • Reply to Pay off residential with buy to let
              loanarranger
              Hi Boletus, before I responded to your reply I thought I would seek legal opinion since your view on Non Recourse Lending was slightly at variance to my understanding and I am detailing the majority of the response, I would add that he is also a director of a Buy to Let lender.
              Given that the...
              16-10-2019, 21:54 PM
              boletus
              I'm sure loanarranger is well aware but just to point out to others reading, UK BTL mortgages are not non-recourse lending.
              i.e if you default on a BTL loan, it doesn't end with the lender repossessing the BTL property, they can still come after your main residence or other assets.

16-10-2019, 13:09 PM
              loanarranger
              Boletus , you make an interesting observation , however I have always taken a “ conservative” approach to such matters believing that having one’s main residence unencumbered is a safety net should financial difficulties ensue and adversely affect the financials of investment properties . Others...
              16-10-2019, 11:52 AM
              boletus
              That is the cleanest solution but not the best financially once the new S24 tax rules are fully implemented.

There is quite a lot to this but the crux is that residential mortgages are cheaper than BTL.

e.g
              interest on £100,000 BTL mortgage at 2.5% - 20% tax 'relief'
              16-10-2019, 10:03 AM
              loanarranger
              If the figures stack up I would always recommend paying off the residential mortgage given that there are no tax benefits to be used against the mortgage interest element of the loan; whereas there still remains a slight advantage in the tax regime for residential property investments.
              Given that...
              15-10-2019, 20:51 PM
            • £25K personal income criteria for re-mortgaging BTL
              hospitality
              Recently read in propertygeek about remortgage: <quote> most mortgage lenders want to see personal income of at least £25,000 that isn't derived from rents. Even if you buy all the properties while you're still working, as soon as you quit that income is gone – so you might struggle when the...
              14-10-2019, 21:51 PM
            • Reply to £25K personal income criteria for re-mortgaging BTL
              loanarranger
              May I add a degree of caution, there are very few underwriters who understand the legitimacy of offsetting carried forward losses incurred in previous years and which allow the profits to be adjusted which in a number of instances will either show a continued loss or a much reduced net profit. In such...
              15-10-2019, 18:45 PM
              topshelf
              Thank you Hospitality, was just about to post the same question tonight, in two month time I can take early retirement, receive a pension of 14k per year (+ lump sum) and a income of 42k gross on my rentals, per year I have 14 months before my next rate change and was starting to get concerned a...
              15-10-2019, 17:41 PM
              loanarranger
              Not all lenders have the requirement of a minimum independent income of £25000 so please don’t lose heart if presently one’s income, excluding rental income, falls below the minimum.
              In the event that one “retires” from main stream employment or self employment and have a property portfolio...
              15-10-2019, 07:48 AM
            Working...
            X