Investment in Manchester (is it too late now)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Investment in Manchester (is it too late now)

I have some funds available for investment and had been exploring cities in north(mainly manchester). Seems there are loads of new high rise premium development going on in city centre area. Although the prices are low compared to london(above 250k for 1-bed flat) it seems high. Builders and property agents seem to be very bullish on future equity gain or rent prospects. So far that some are suggesting I could gain 20% before completions (i.e buying off-plan and re-sell) in 2020/21.

-has anyone in here invested in manchester?
    -can you see enough rental demand with hundreds of flats in city centre in next 2-3 years. Especially at monthly rents of above £1300.
    -Would you recommend any areas, developers or no go areas.
    - OR is it too late to get into that market now..

Thank you for stopping by, appreciate your replies.

The website below has suggested Colchester for rising rental income :

https://www.simplybusiness.co.uk/kno...-let-areas-uk/

Comment

I suggest you should wait until after Brexit before deciding where to buy. A 20% potential gain from "buying off-plan" may not occur if too many flats are not able to find tenants willing to pay £1300 /month.

Comment

Who on earth is going to pay £1300 pcm for a flat in Manchester? I'd have thought about half that.

Comment

The players for Manchester United Team can afford the rent but may be more comfortable living in a house.

Comment

I would stay away from high rise in Manchester. There has been an over supply and many people struggling to sell hence the offer of discounts. The other issue is many blocks turn in to BTL blocks and they are not great to live in. Try outer Manchester - 2 bed terrace in Oldham, Bolton, Rochdale for around 50k-60k would be a much better investment

Comment

Irrespective of location, there remains a big question over the level of Service Charges and Ground Rents. Often Developers keep Service Charges to a low level presumably designed to enhance the marketability of the individual units, unfortunately when essential works are required to be undertaken there is insufficient monies in the Capital Reserves and therefore shortfalls are then levied upon the Leaseholders and unless this is addressed as the development gets older the liabilities make it an inequitable charge and by default reduce the profits of any rental.
              I cite a development , although in South East London for which I am involved with. Development 12 years old, Service Charges were kept artificially low but now significant works have to be undertaken or planned for the large complex andthis year the Service Charges have jumped from £3000 per annum to in excess of £5000 and Ground Rents have increased and will continue each 8 years by a compounded rate of inflation.
              Sometimes it is wise to look at the terms not least a possible requirement by the Freeholders to require Leaseholders to seek consent to let a property for which a Fee will need to be paid on each occasion a new Tenancy is created.

Comment

I invest near Manchester in Tameside. Prices have risen. I bought a 3 bed house in 2016 for £127.5 that is now worth £180. Partly that is due to a shortage of 3 bed houses in the area (vs a surplus of 2 bed). There are places where I wouldn't buy, which tend to be the cheapest places. There is a 2 bed terrace for sale on a popular road for £120k that would fetch £600pm.

I have a flat in Reading, a former home. Most of the service charge is decided on by the leaseholders, but they have not being putting enough aside for redecoration, which is years overdue according to the lease terms. I am looking to sell and the condition of the common areas is not helping. The good thing is that the agents have got quotes for the working and it looks like about £300 per flat.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Overpay which mortgage?
                  Peter42
                  Hi All. We have a BTL interest only mortgage @ 3.88% on rental
                  We also have a interest only mortgage on our residental house @ 2.05%
                  If miraculously we have money to overpay , which should we choose?
                  I thought 3.88% as higher interest , wife says 2.05% as its our residence and leave...
                  23-05-2019, 14:27 PM
                • Reply to Overpay which mortgage?
                  JK0
                  CGT is charged on what you get for a house versus what you paid for it. Whether you have a mortgage to pay off or not is immaterial.
                  23-05-2019, 16:12 PM
                  Peter42
                  Ok thanks. We thought overpaying on the rental increases the profit ie more CGT
                  23-05-2019, 15:26 PM
                  JK0
                  I don't think your mortgage has any bearing on CGT.

Even taking 40% tax relief off 3.88% is more than 2.05%, so I'd say the BTL is the one to overpay.
                  23-05-2019, 14:33 PM
                • Workplace Pensions
                  mojo_scotland
                  Going off on a slight tangent here.

My workplace auto-enrolment pension now has me contributing £150 per month. My employer matches this.

My statement reads, in today’s money...

At 65 years old (I’m 36 now) I may receive.

11k tax free. ...
                  21-05-2019, 09:07 AM
                • Reply to Workplace Pensions
                  leaseholder64
                  The ones I've always seem assume no further contribution, but the OP seemed to suggest that the scheme has only just started, and, given the figures used for these estimates have gone down a lot from when I was first in a money purchase scheme, I think a £44k pension pot in present day terms couldn't...
                  22-05-2019, 10:36 AM
                  Welshie
                  I believe your pension statement is based on a calculation of what your pension fund is worth today and inferring no further contributions made. So if you stopped paying in to your pension fund, this is what your fund could potentially be worth at 65.

Each year you contribute more, this...
                  22-05-2019, 09:50 AM
                  alice123
                  its not as bad as mine your better off than me -
                  my workplace pension 53pence a month and im 6 years off retirement i think ill get about 50 pound a year so im going to have to work beyond retirement doing on line work and stuff like leaflet distribution but id be happy with the 11,000 a year...
                  21-05-2019, 14:50 PM
                  jpkeates
                  I'm a little bothered by the low figures.

If the "tax free" amount is meant to reflect the position of today (ie. you can take out 25% tax free), it would mean your pension fund would be £44k when you are 65.
                  Which means that the fund must have lost more than half its value...
                  21-05-2019, 14:24 PM
                  OneSmallStep
                  Hi,

The monthly return does appear 'low'. However, I put as much into my pension as possible each year to bring my income into a lower tax bracket.

Think about how much it is actually costing you.

For £300 contribution each month it is only costing you £120 (assume...
                  21-05-2019, 14:08 PM
                Working...
                X