Buy to let and re mortgage ... please advise..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buy to let and re mortgage ... please advise..

Hello All

I am a first time poster so please be kind .. I know most of you lot are probably seasoned professionals but my dilema is .

In 2013 i inherited a property , i did it up and rented it out , it is still being rented at present ..(No Mortgage) current value about 275000.

I live in a property that is mortgaged im hoping to move to a larger property, the current property is valued at 195000 with mortgage of 85000. which is the best way to get the capital for the new property ..

Is it better to have a large buy to let or main mortgage ..

Kind regards

Hi

The cost of borrowing money is generally cheaper on residential mortgages opposed to buy to let’s (as far as I’m aware) but you could remortgage the rental up to 75% LTV to release capital and this would help offset your tax bills.

A good financial advisor will help you make the right decision for you.

Hope that helps!

Comment

If you keep your gearing on the BtL to a reasonable amount then the proceeds can be used towards the depositof any new primary residence, that way you can still retain a fair return, benefit although modestly from the current tax regime and have the opportunity of acquiring a property that meets your aspirations; having said that remember that mostlenders will any rental income when the BtL is in mortgage but as long as the costs are covered the interest payments will not be included in theaffordability assessment of the new maim mortgage.
      With the property market proving fragile in certain areas of the U.K. I would not advocate, unless it is essential, obtaining high percentage loans.

Comment

Thank you both for your quick responses ... another quick question if i may if i am selling the home i live in and remortgage BTL 75% , will i still have to pay the extra stamp duty charges because its a second home .....will the class the BTL (inhertied ) as the first home .. Thanks again

Comment

If you let your present property because the market is against you but you buy a new primary residence , you will initially pay the 3% SDLT premium but if yourformer home is subsequently sold within a specific period ( I think it is 36 months) you are entitled to a rebate.

Inherited property is a potential issue but not insurmountable.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Pay off residential with buy to let
            2buytolet
            Hello,

First poster here looking for advice, this is our situation. We have one buy to let property mortgaged at £40000 and worth around £130000 and our home with a £65000 mortgage worth around £190000. We are looking to move house but keep both properties. Would it be wise to paid...
            15-10-2019, 19:42 PM
          • Reply to Pay off residential with buy to let
            loanarranger
            Hi Boletus, before I responded to your reply I thought I would seek legal opinion since your view on Non Recourse Lending was slightly at variance to my understanding and I am detailing the majority of the response, I would add that he is also a director of a Buy to Let lender.
            Given that the...
            16-10-2019, 21:54 PM
            boletus
            I'm sure loanarranger is well aware but just to point out to others reading, UK BTL mortgages are not non-recourse lending.
            i.e if you default on a BTL loan, it doesn't end with the lender repossessing the BTL property, they can still come after your main residence or other assets.

16-10-2019, 13:09 PM
            loanarranger
            Boletus , you make an interesting observation , however I have always taken a “ conservative” approach to such matters believing that having one’s main residence unencumbered is a safety net should financial difficulties ensue and adversely affect the financials of investment properties . Others...
            16-10-2019, 11:52 AM
            boletus
            That is the cleanest solution but not the best financially once the new S24 tax rules are fully implemented.

There is quite a lot to this but the crux is that residential mortgages are cheaper than BTL.

e.g
            interest on £100,000 BTL mortgage at 2.5% - 20% tax 'relief'
            16-10-2019, 10:03 AM
            loanarranger
            If the figures stack up I would always recommend paying off the residential mortgage given that there are no tax benefits to be used against the mortgage interest element of the loan; whereas there still remains a slight advantage in the tax regime for residential property investments.
            Given that...
            15-10-2019, 20:51 PM
          • £25K personal income criteria for re-mortgaging BTL
            hospitality
            Recently read in propertygeek about remortgage: <quote> most mortgage lenders want to see personal income of at least £25,000 that isn't derived from rents. Even if you buy all the properties while you're still working, as soon as you quit that income is gone – so you might struggle when the...
            14-10-2019, 21:51 PM
          • Reply to £25K personal income criteria for re-mortgaging BTL
            loanarranger
            May I add a degree of caution, there are very few underwriters who understand the legitimacy of offsetting carried forward losses incurred in previous years and which allow the profits to be adjusted which in a number of instances will either show a continued loss or a much reduced net profit. In such...
            15-10-2019, 18:45 PM
            topshelf
            Thank you Hospitality, was just about to post the same question tonight, in two month time I can take early retirement, receive a pension of 14k per year (+ lump sum) and a income of 42k gross on my rentals, per year I have 14 months before my next rate change and was starting to get concerned a...
            15-10-2019, 17:41 PM
            loanarranger
            Not all lenders have the requirement of a minimum independent income of £25000 so please don’t lose heart if presently one’s income, excluding rental income, falls below the minimum.
            In the event that one “retires” from main stream employment or self employment and have a property portfolio...
            15-10-2019, 07:48 AM
          Working...
          X