Buy to let and re mortgage ... please advise..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buy to let and re mortgage ... please advise..

Hello All

I am a first time poster so please be kind .. I know most of you lot are probably seasoned professionals but my dilema is .

In 2013 i inherited a property , i did it up and rented it out , it is still being rented at present ..(No Mortgage) current value about 275000.

I live in a property that is mortgaged im hoping to move to a larger property, the current property is valued at 195000 with mortgage of 85000. which is the best way to get the capital for the new property ..

Is it better to have a large buy to let or main mortgage ..

Kind regards

Hi

The cost of borrowing money is generally cheaper on residential mortgages opposed to buy to let’s (as far as I’m aware) but you could remortgage the rental up to 75% LTV to release capital and this would help offset your tax bills.

A good financial advisor will help you make the right decision for you.

Hope that helps!

Comment

If you keep your gearing on the BtL to a reasonable amount then the proceeds can be used towards the depositof any new primary residence, that way you can still retain a fair return, benefit although modestly from the current tax regime and have the opportunity of acquiring a property that meets your aspirations; having said that remember that mostlenders will any rental income when the BtL is in mortgage but as long as the costs are covered the interest payments will not be included in theaffordability assessment of the new maim mortgage.
      With the property market proving fragile in certain areas of the U.K. I would not advocate, unless it is essential, obtaining high percentage loans.

Comment

Thank you both for your quick responses ... another quick question if i may if i am selling the home i live in and remortgage BTL 75% , will i still have to pay the extra stamp duty charges because its a second home .....will the class the BTL (inhertied ) as the first home .. Thanks again

Comment

If you let your present property because the market is against you but you buy a new primary residence , you will initially pay the 3% SDLT premium but if yourformer home is subsequently sold within a specific period ( I think it is 36 months) you are entitled to a rebate.

Inherited property is a potential issue but not insurmountable.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• All in on property?
            Propertygoesup
            Hi all, I'm a postman aged 37. I have one buy to let on a 5 year interest only deal. Value 230k, mortgage 150k long term tenant. I have 40k in the bank. I have one current account, no loans, credit cards, savings or pension. Only direct debits are the mortgage and mobile phone.
            I am currently...
            16-06-2019, 06:30 AM
          • Mortgage News
            loanarranger
            The following article has appeared in one of the Mortgage Trade journals reporting on views expressed by the Association of Mortgage Intermediaries an influential trade body within the mortgage industry.

"Mortgage rates are likely to rise in the first quarter of 2016 as lenders look...
            23-12-2015, 18:43 PM
          • Reply to Mortgage News
            loanarranger
            An interesting article appeared in the Trade Press using data from Property Solvers , for those Forum readers with property in London & South East this confirms what we have experienced on mortgage valuations irrespective of whether it is a Home Owner or Buy to Let application.

South...
            13-06-2019, 09:54 AM
          • commercial loan/mortgage
            Steven King
            Can anyone recommend a company/bank for a commercial loan/mortgage we have a property fully let 2 commercial and 5 rentals. what sort of rates and terms available for say 50k to 100k for use on another development.

Cheers
            Steve...
            08-06-2019, 08:14 AM
          • Reply to commercial loan/mortgage
            loanarranger
            Outside of the main Clearing Banks , you can contact the following:-
            Aldermore Commercial
            Interbay
            Shawbrook
            Handelsbanken
            Bath Building Society
            Keystone Property Finance
            Much will depend on the size of the residential content compared to the two Commercial...
            08-06-2019, 15:06 PM
          • Reply to commercial loan/mortgage
            Gordon999
            Use google search for "BTL mortgages for companies"
            08-06-2019, 09:06 AM
          • Gatehouse
            Propertygoesup
            Anyone got experience with shariah compliant banks such as gatehouse?
            it appears they require a 20% deposit with rates from 3.75% and no early repayment charge .
            Not sure if they have a rental requirement.
            Anyone know more?
            06-06-2019, 19:57 PM
          • Reply to Gatehouse
            leaseholder64
            I believe a lot of modern day human trafficking is associated with impossible debt burdens....
            07-06-2019, 14:26 PM
          • Reply to Gatehouse
            Gordon999
            The shariah compliant mortgage is intended for muslim borrowers who are not allowed by their religion to pay interest.

Presumably in olden days a failure to pay the excessive daily interest charge meant the entire family was forfeited into slavery.

But current tax rules should...
            07-06-2019, 12:54 PM
          • Reply to Gatehouse
            Letmein
            How should this rent charge be accounted for against tax? Is the income split between the joint parties? Does this avoid the interest tax credit and benefit high rate tax payers?

All clearly a play on words, its interest by another name! If loks like a chicken....
            07-06-2019, 11:04 AM
          Working...
          X