Split a freehold to remortgage?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ash2020
    started a topic Split a freehold to remortgage?

Split a freehold to remortgage?

Hello all.

I have a shop with a 1 bed flat above and a 2 bed flat behind (all on 1 freehold title). Value is probably around 350K and I currently have a mortgage of 140K at 6% which is costing a whopping £740 a month.

I would like to remortgage and I've seen offers for 5 year fixed BTL at 2-3% which would save me £400 a month - worth having!

Problem is, I don't think I can mortgage just the two flats without including the shop, which makes it a mixed commercial, at higher rates.

Would I be better splitting the title and mortgaging the two flats (with 2 lots of fees)? I think there's enough equity to give LTV of around 60% on the flats.

Also, would they have to be leasehold as they have a combined stairwell?

Any downside to having three separate titles?

Thanks. Andrew

• loanarranger
    replied
    I agree that the rates are higher but the only other source who JUST might consider such a proposal is Together Mortgages but as you will see the terms are not for the feint hearted: unfortunately the type of proposition falls outside the scope of main Btl lenders.

Maximum LTV (loan to value) – 65%
    • Maximum loan – £500,000 (more by referral)
    • Rates start from 7.90%
    • Repayment terms – 7 to 30 years
    • Interest Only terms – 7 to 10 years
    • Maximum age – 80 years at end of term
    As an outside short , speak with Bath Building Society , they certainly operate an open mid policy .

Leave a comment:

• Ash2020
    replied
    Thanks again.
    I'm with Shawbrook at the moment and it's costing me an arm and a leg!

Leave a comment:

• loanarranger
    replied
    As long as the studio has the absolute minimum sq ft / Mt you might stand a chance. Speak to a lender like Shawbrook , not the cheapest but quite accommodating.

Leave a comment:

• Ash2020
    replied
    Thanks for the info. The retail is approx 1/3 of the total. Don't know sq. M but the one over is a studio flat, worth about 110K and the one behind is a 2 bed on 2 floors, worth about 150K, so I'm guessing I could raise enough without putting the shop into the mix. Shop is a charity, they are fantastic tenants and it's their most productive shop so they should want to stay. No fast food anywhere near.

Leave a comment:

• loanarranger
    replied
    What percentage of the building is occupied as a retail unit and then what are the sizes of the individual flats in terms of sq Metres.
    Ideally you would indeed have to create separate leases but you cannot grant yourself leases as you own the Freehold.
    On the Mortgage front, the next issue is the respective values of each of he flats, some lenders have a minimum value of between £50k and £75k. Once established the next issue is getting mortgages secured against each unit with the lenders being reluctant to lend on adjacent units.
    Firstly speak to your solicitor and then find a good qualified broker to try and source one or more lenders. The final caution is what is the commercial use of the retail unit and whether there are any fast food outlets in close proximity or restaurants/ licensed premises.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Mortgage ERC
    Landlord4321
    Good evening,

I would be interested if anyone had any views on mortgage early repayment charges. Unfortunately my circumstances have changed significantly over the last 8 months and I am in a situation where I am forced to sell my buy to let property, mainly due to a change in my financial...
    19-07-2019, 20:18 PM
  • Reply to Mortgage ERC
    Landlord4321
    I believe the ERC is a set rate. Some customers will pay the fee that will equate to less than the existing interest balance so will benefit. Other customers nearing the latter part of the deal will pay a charge considerably higher than the remaining interest balance.

I guess like anything...
    20-07-2019, 11:30 AM
  • Refinancing BTL when beneficial ownership has been moved into an LLP
    StevieG
    I moved the beneficial ownership rights to my properties into an LLP two years ago in response to section 24; however, my existing broker is unable to obtain a new mortgage for one of the properties as the tax computations associated with my SATRs now have a line for 'income from partnership' instead...
    20-07-2019, 10:29 AM
  • Legal fees or cashback for remortgaging
    blinko
    Hi guys I'm doing my first ever remortgage I wanted to ask I have 2 products to choose from both are offering me a good rate 5 year fixed 2.1% £1,000 arrangement free with free standard valuation but one product offers free legal fees and the other offers £300 cashback which one do you think I should...
    16-07-2019, 17:18 PM
  • Reply to Legal fees or cashback for remortgaging
    loanarranger
    I agree it allows the borrower a greater degree of control over the legal processes.
    20-07-2019, 10:02 AM
  • Reply to Legal fees or cashback for remortgaging
    jpkeates
    Hello 2008, welcome back!...
    20-07-2019, 08:48 AM
  • Reply to Mortgage ERC
    loanarranger
    You are indeed correct that Fixed Rate Mortgages do have products which have an ERC on a reducing scale, a feature which is fully detailed in the Key Facts Illustration, unfortunately as in your case the ERC is set at a Fixed percentage throughout the initial incentive period, this in itself might have...
    20-07-2019, 04:11 AM
  • Reply to Mortgage ERC
    Landlord4321
    Most mortgage companies offer a progressive ERC where the fee changes every year which reflects the lenders actual losses. In this case the ECR is fixed for the entire period, and I'm nearing the end of my term.

The charge they will make is a lot more than the interest for the remaining...
    19-07-2019, 23:20 PM
  • Reply to Mortgage ERC
    boletus
    If you accept you freely entered into a business contract where the terms were explicitly stated and you were aware of those terms, then why now say it is "daylight robbery" to be held to those terms?...
    19-07-2019, 22:39 PM
  • Reply to Mortgage ERC
    loanarranger
    I regret to advise you that your entire interpretation of the law and rules pertaining to mortgage contract.
    You entered into a contract to borrow a sum of money secured against a residential property which you declared was for investment Not owner occupation by yourself, The funding as is generally...
    19-07-2019, 20:50 PM
Working...
X