Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Split a freehold to remortgage?

Hello all.

I have a shop with a 1 bed flat above and a 2 bed flat behind (all on 1 freehold title). Value is probably around 350K and I currently have a mortgage of 140K at 6% which is costing a whopping £740 a month.

I would like to remortgage and I've seen offers for 5 year fixed BTL at 2-3% which would save me £400 a month - worth having!

Problem is, I don't think I can mortgage just the two flats without including the shop, which makes it a mixed commercial, at higher rates.

Would I be better splitting the title and mortgaging the two flats (with 2 lots of fees)? I think there's enough equity to give LTV of around 60% on the flats.

Also, would they have to be leasehold as they have a combined stairwell?

Any downside to having three separate titles?

Thanks. Andrew

What percentage of the building is occupied as a retail unit and then what are the sizes of the individual flats in terms of sq Metres.
    Ideally you would indeed have to create separate leases but you cannot grant yourself leases as you own the Freehold.
    On the Mortgage front, the next issue is the respective values of each of he flats, some lenders have a minimum value of between £50k and £75k. Once established the next issue is getting mortgages secured against each unit with the lenders being reluctant to lend on adjacent units.
    Firstly speak to your solicitor and then find a good qualified broker to try and source one or more lenders. The final caution is what is the commercial use of the retail unit and whether there are any fast food outlets in close proximity or restaurants/ licensed premises.

Comment

Thanks for the info. The retail is approx 1/3 of the total. Don't know sq. M but the one over is a studio flat, worth about 110K and the one behind is a 2 bed on 2 floors, worth about 150K, so I'm guessing I could raise enough without putting the shop into the mix. Shop is a charity, they are fantastic tenants and it's their most productive shop so they should want to stay. No fast food anywhere near.

Comment

As long as the studio has the absolute minimum sq ft / Mt you might stand a chance. Speak to a lender like Shawbrook , not the cheapest but quite accommodating.

Comment

Thanks again.
          I'm with Shawbrook at the moment and it's costing me an arm and a leg!

Comment

I agree that the rates are higher but the only other source who JUST might consider such a proposal is Together Mortgages but as you will see the terms are not for the feint hearted: unfortunately the type of proposition falls outside the scope of main Btl lenders.

Maximum LTV (loan to value) – 65%
            • Maximum loan – £500,000 (more by referral)
            • Rates start from 7.90%
            • Repayment terms – 7 to 30 years
            • Interest Only terms – 7 to 10 years
            • Maximum age – 80 years at end of term
            As an outside short , speak with Bath Building Society , they certainly operate an open mid policy .

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Is it possible for me to start now?
              RJS
              Hi all,

I have recently had a strong desire to get into property investment and have therefore tried to learn as much as I can through books and asking questions, but I feel as if I am lacking one major thing: Capital.
              Is it possible for me to get a foot in the door with little to...
              20-02-2019, 21:04 PM
            • Reply to Is it possible for me to start now?
              Gordon999
              I suggest you take a job in a letting agents office for a couple of years....
              21-02-2019, 16:10 PM
            • Mortgage with criminal conviction
              zoid
              My husband has a criminal conviction (served a 6 month prison sentence last year, for an online sex related crime - I regard it as an unfair conviction, but that is another story). We own a BTL together and ideally want to remortgage and get another. I'm unsure if there are any lenders that will lend...
              21-02-2019, 09:59 AM
            • Reply to Mortgage with criminal conviction
              loanarranger
              Hi Zoid
              The questions you raise are quite familiar with myself as I have a client with a significant portfolio but who transgressed and received a £10000 fine relating to a failure to resolve matters previously raised by the Environmental Officer. This conviction was in 2012 and it has been only...
              21-02-2019, 13:41 PM
              zoid
              Thanks for the reply leaseholder64, insurance I've got covered, declared and accepted. It cost a little more, but not as bad as I thought. We don't have licensing in my area, except HMO, which mine isn't one. But that is something I will need to watch out for in the future, I'll be doing the management,...
              21-02-2019, 11:18 AM
            • Investment in Manchester (is it too late now)
              londonrulz
              I have some funds available for investment and had been exploring cities in north(mainly manchester). Seems there are loads of new high rise premium development going on in city centre area. Although the prices are low compared to london(above 250k for 1-bed flat) it seems high. Builders and property...
              21-02-2019, 10:45 AM
              jpkeates
              Investing without capital is like swimming without water.

You can use lending to accelerate growth in property, which makes it unique and assists those not wealthy already.
              But you need a reasonable amount to capital just to start investing.
              And, if you're starting from zero,...
              21-02-2019, 10:28 AM
              leaseholder64
              The lenders presumably require you to insure the property. Failing to a declare a conviction to an insurer is likely to void the insurance, even if they take the view that some offences don't increase their risk. I'd therefore, initially, be more concerned about insurance.

The nature...
              21-02-2019, 10:18 AM
              loanarranger
              Without wishing to appear flippant to your question , my advice is to save at least 20/25% plus sufficient monies to cover at least three months rental voids and then save for the light cosmetic works needed.
              Buying into investment property has to be considered as a long term investment , buying...
              20-02-2019, 23:20 PM
            • portfolio landlord struggling for lenders
              cornishlad
              hi thanks in advance for response all advice appreciated
              I have four in num properties currently all on btl, all with borrowing of 50- 75% I have a fith property currently being built with 0 borrowing , im hoping once completed to mortgage on btl [ after 6 months ] with the funds being used to...
              15-02-2019, 19:43 PM
            Working...
            X