Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Split a freehold to remortgage?

Hello all.

I have a shop with a 1 bed flat above and a 2 bed flat behind (all on 1 freehold title). Value is probably around 350K and I currently have a mortgage of 140K at 6% which is costing a whopping £740 a month.

I would like to remortgage and I've seen offers for 5 year fixed BTL at 2-3% which would save me £400 a month - worth having!

Problem is, I don't think I can mortgage just the two flats without including the shop, which makes it a mixed commercial, at higher rates.

Would I be better splitting the title and mortgaging the two flats (with 2 lots of fees)? I think there's enough equity to give LTV of around 60% on the flats.

Also, would they have to be leasehold as they have a combined stairwell?

Any downside to having three separate titles?

Thanks. Andrew

What percentage of the building is occupied as a retail unit and then what are the sizes of the individual flats in terms of sq Metres.
    Ideally you would indeed have to create separate leases but you cannot grant yourself leases as you own the Freehold.
    On the Mortgage front, the next issue is the respective values of each of he flats, some lenders have a minimum value of between £50k and £75k. Once established the next issue is getting mortgages secured against each unit with the lenders being reluctant to lend on adjacent units.
    Firstly speak to your solicitor and then find a good qualified broker to try and source one or more lenders. The final caution is what is the commercial use of the retail unit and whether there are any fast food outlets in close proximity or restaurants/ licensed premises.

Comment

Thanks for the info. The retail is approx 1/3 of the total. Don't know sq. M but the one over is a studio flat, worth about 110K and the one behind is a 2 bed on 2 floors, worth about 150K, so I'm guessing I could raise enough without putting the shop into the mix. Shop is a charity, they are fantastic tenants and it's their most productive shop so they should want to stay. No fast food anywhere near.

Comment

As long as the studio has the absolute minimum sq ft / Mt you might stand a chance. Speak to a lender like Shawbrook , not the cheapest but quite accommodating.

Comment

Thanks again.
          I'm with Shawbrook at the moment and it's costing me an arm and a leg!

Comment

I agree that the rates are higher but the only other source who JUST might consider such a proposal is Together Mortgages but as you will see the terms are not for the feint hearted: unfortunately the type of proposition falls outside the scope of main Btl lenders.

Maximum LTV (loan to value) – 65%
            • Maximum loan – £500,000 (more by referral)
            • Rates start from 7.90%
            • Repayment terms – 7 to 30 years
            • Interest Only terms – 7 to 10 years
            • Maximum age – 80 years at end of term
            As an outside short , speak with Bath Building Society , they certainly operate an open mid policy .

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Overpay which mortgage?
              Peter42
              Hi All. We have a BTL interest only mortgage @ 3.88% on rental
              We also have a interest only mortgage on our residental house @ 2.05%
              If miraculously we have money to overpay , which should we choose?
              I thought 3.88% as higher interest , wife says 2.05% as its our residence and leave...
              23-05-2019, 14:27 PM
            • Reply to Overpay which mortgage?
              Peter42
              Thank you. Everyday,s a school day
              24-05-2019, 12:32 PM
              JK0
              CGT is charged on what you get for a house versus what you paid for it. Whether you have a mortgage to pay off or not is immaterial.
              23-05-2019, 16:12 PM
              Peter42
              Ok thanks. We thought overpaying on the rental increases the profit ie more CGT
              23-05-2019, 15:26 PM
              JK0
              I don't think your mortgage has any bearing on CGT.

Even taking 40% tax relief off 3.88% is more than 2.05%, so I'd say the BTL is the one to overpay.
              23-05-2019, 14:33 PM
            • Workplace Pensions
              mojo_scotland
              Going off on a slight tangent here.

My workplace auto-enrolment pension now has me contributing £150 per month. My employer matches this.

My statement reads, in today’s money...

At 65 years old (I’m 36 now) I may receive.

11k tax free. ...
              21-05-2019, 09:07 AM
            • Reply to Workplace Pensions
              leaseholder64
              The ones I've always seem assume no further contribution, but the OP seemed to suggest that the scheme has only just started, and, given the figures used for these estimates have gone down a lot from when I was first in a money purchase scheme, I think a £44k pension pot in present day terms couldn't...
              22-05-2019, 10:36 AM
              Welshie
              I believe your pension statement is based on a calculation of what your pension fund is worth today and inferring no further contributions made. So if you stopped paying in to your pension fund, this is what your fund could potentially be worth at 65.

Each year you contribute more, this...
              22-05-2019, 09:50 AM
              alice123
              its not as bad as mine your better off than me -
              my workplace pension 53pence a month and im 6 years off retirement i think ill get about 50 pound a year so im going to have to work beyond retirement doing on line work and stuff like leaflet distribution but id be happy with the 11,000 a year...
              21-05-2019, 14:50 PM
              jpkeates
              I'm a little bothered by the low figures.

If the "tax free" amount is meant to reflect the position of today (ie. you can take out 25% tax free), it would mean your pension fund would be £44k when you are 65.
              Which means that the fund must have lost more than half its value...
              21-05-2019, 14:24 PM
            Working...
            X