£180k cash to invest- what to do?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

£180k cash to invest- what to do?

I've just been able to buy my own house and have £180k to invest. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity and I don't want to waste it...
    I've gone through so many ideas property-wise, long term lettings/ Airbnb/HMO's and what with new regulations, pitfalls and all other things I'm put off by the whole property thing.

Is there still money to be made out of property and if so what would be the best way?

Many thanks!

Diversify the investment, with only part in property.

Comment

new regulations can be made about any investment scheme, so don't worry too much. great advice by leaseholder, diversify,

are you looking for short or long term returns, as that seems to be key to any investment strategy, and it needs to be a strategy/business plan, not just a few random ideas.

180k isn't a massive amount but I would even consider using part of it for your enjoyment, buy a caravan, motorhome etc take up fishing, golf or other hobby, buy all your equipment and enjoy the leisure side of living !!

Comment

You should consult an Independent Financial Advisor , he will discuss your attitude to risk ,any specific preferences e.g Property/ Bonds and give you guidance on moving forward.
        If you do not own a property or indeed an investment property, forget HMO’s, MUFB since lenders in the main limit such mortgages to those with a proven history of residential investment.
        At a time of economic uncertainty I wouldn’t be in any rush, the fear regime is now in place not helped by the BoE pronouncements , Willproperty crash, Will the Stock Market fall and what are the implications in a falling sterling rate.
        Only the brave take risks and sometimes they win but more often lose.

Comment

depends what youre looking for, in my part of the world you could buy 2 btl properties that would give you £6k each return in rent, could probably get 2 for £160k so have some cash as an emergency fund

Comment

If your house is all paid up, you could live off £12K per year rental income

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post
              If your house is all paid up, you could live off £12K per year rental income
              What? £12k per year to live off? You might be able to exist on £12k per year, but you wouldn't have much of a life.

Comment

The state pension for some is only £126 per week and I am sure they are living a hard life.

Comment

Originally posted by Claymore View Post

What? £12k per year to live off? You might be able to exist on £12k per year, but you wouldn't have much of a life.
                  I earn £11,400 a year and live a fabulous life.

It's not about what you earn; it's about how much you spend.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• HMO Business Investment - Yes or No
                    Kevin-Kent
                    1st post so treat me gently lol

I have £300k to invest in a business and my wife and I were looking at Guest House / Hotels.

While looking at one trading Hotel, it was suggested that it could be operated as the existing Hotel (turnover £200k, ANP £80k) or as a HMO (subject...
                    17-06-2019, 15:15 PM
                  • Ecology mortgage
                    dizzymill
                    Hi everyone

Has anyone on here got experience of using the Ecology Building Society?

My daughter is looking to buy a house in need of renovation to live in but has so far had no luck with mainstream lenders. It is habitable (has kitchen, bathroom etc) but needs some extra roof...
                    17-06-2019, 12:23 PM
                  • Reply to Ecology mortgage
                    loanarranger
                    As a broker I cannot say that I have had the need to discuss an enquiry where the property fell within their criteria, however a few years ago I attended a seminar where this lender made a pitch for being given serious consideration as a lender which to honest was a wake up call as their proposition...
                    17-06-2019, 13:46 PM
                  • All in on property?
                    Propertygoesup
                    Hi all, I'm a postman aged 37. I have one buy to let on a 5 year interest only deal. Value 230k, mortgage 150k long term tenant. I have 40k in the bank. I have one current account, no loans, credit cards, savings or pension. Only direct debits are the mortgage and mobile phone.
                    I am currently...
                    16-06-2019, 06:30 AM
                  • Mortgage News
                    loanarranger
                    The following article has appeared in one of the Mortgage Trade journals reporting on views expressed by the Association of Mortgage Intermediaries an influential trade body within the mortgage industry.

"Mortgage rates are likely to rise in the first quarter of 2016 as lenders look...
                    23-12-2015, 18:43 PM
                  • Reply to Mortgage News
                    loanarranger
                    An interesting article appeared in the Trade Press using data from Property Solvers , for those Forum readers with property in London & South East this confirms what we have experienced on mortgage valuations irrespective of whether it is a Home Owner or Buy to Let application.

South...
                    13-06-2019, 09:54 AM
                  • commercial loan/mortgage
                    Steven King
                    Can anyone recommend a company/bank for a commercial loan/mortgage we have a property fully let 2 commercial and 5 rentals. what sort of rates and terms available for say 50k to 100k for use on another development.

Cheers
                    Steve...
                    08-06-2019, 08:14 AM
                  • Reply to commercial loan/mortgage
                    loanarranger
                    Outside of the main Clearing Banks , you can contact the following:-
                    Aldermore Commercial
                    Interbay
                    Shawbrook
                    Handelsbanken
                    Bath Building Society
                    Keystone Property Finance
                    Much will depend on the size of the residential content compared to the two Commercial...
                    08-06-2019, 15:06 PM
                  • Reply to commercial loan/mortgage
                    Gordon999
                    Use google search for "BTL mortgages for companies"
                    08-06-2019, 09:06 AM
                  • Gatehouse
                    Propertygoesup
                    Anyone got experience with shariah compliant banks such as gatehouse?
                    it appears they require a 20% deposit with rates from 3.75% and no early repayment charge .
                    Not sure if they have a rental requirement.
                    Anyone know more?
                    06-06-2019, 19:57 PM
                  Working...
                  X