To do up a property to sell or not?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To do up a property to sell or not?

We have had a long term tenant in a house we rent out for many years. They have now left, but the property is in poor condition and needs repainting inside and out and new carpets throughout. The bathroom needs completely re-doing. The question is whether it is always worth renovating before selling an ex rental property? I will get an estate agent in to tell us how much property is worth as it is now and how much it would be if renovated. I just wondered though if anyone on the forum had any experience of selling a "Doer Upper" . If we did renovate the house ourselves to put it back in good condition, we would be paying full market rate to painters/decorators etc as we don't have the time to do any of the work ourselves.

Your Business decision.
    Sounds like a lot of work required to put it in marketable condition but you have had the benefit of several years rent.

Comment

It depends.

Personally, I would get a decorator in and have ceilings, walls (magnolia or a nice very light grey) and glosswork done. Then get a carpet cleaning firm in to give the carpets a once over. This will remove any bad smells, and gives it a nice fresh bright look.
      Leave the bathroom/kitchen alone... Negotiate price with that in mind (buyer can then choose what they want).

We recently had a decorator do our rental between lets.. As he had unfettered access and no furniture to work around it came in at £800 for ceilings, walls and glosswork.

Comment

Get 2 EA's to come and value the property as it is and the estimated price of what it could be worth if done to a certain level, you already have an indication of the rental for the property. Then get 2 quotes on what you want being done to the property and compare - make your decision based on the information.

Comment

Thank you all for your advice!

Comment

I think it depends where the property is. I recently sold a 3 bedroom ex council house in Bromley, Kent that needed completely updating including double glazing. The market price for one of these houses done up was about £340,000. The agent put it on for £330,000 and we accepted £320,000 about 2 weeks later. All the aggravation and expense would have negated the possible £20,000 we could have got if we had done it up. Less another 28% CGT to the taxman.

Comment

Certainly doing it up yourselves & getting a higher sales price is likely to generate a higher tax bill so is probably not worth it. But by spending just a little on it ie. getting it clean & slapping white / magnolia paint on the walls, you may increase the value by more than you spend. Most buyers are not very good at seeing past what is in front of them so if you can make it appear reasonable you will get a better price. Remove anything that detracts from the property, clean the kitchen & bathroom well, hang 2nd hand curtains & lampshades - all things that make the property look better without costing very much.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Overpay which mortgage?
                Peter42
                Hi All. We have a BTL interest only mortgage @ 3.88% on rental
                We also have a interest only mortgage on our residental house @ 2.05%
                If miraculously we have money to overpay , which should we choose?
                I thought 3.88% as higher interest , wife says 2.05% as its our residence and leave...
                23-05-2019, 14:27 PM
              • Reply to Overpay which mortgage?
                JK0
                CGT is charged on what you get for a house versus what you paid for it. Whether you have a mortgage to pay off or not is immaterial.
                23-05-2019, 16:12 PM
                Peter42
                Ok thanks. We thought overpaying on the rental increases the profit ie more CGT
                23-05-2019, 15:26 PM
                JK0
                I don't think your mortgage has any bearing on CGT.

Even taking 40% tax relief off 3.88% is more than 2.05%, so I'd say the BTL is the one to overpay.
                23-05-2019, 14:33 PM
              • Workplace Pensions
                mojo_scotland
                Going off on a slight tangent here.

My workplace auto-enrolment pension now has me contributing £150 per month. My employer matches this.

My statement reads, in today’s money...

At 65 years old (I’m 36 now) I may receive.

11k tax free. ...
                21-05-2019, 09:07 AM
              • Reply to Workplace Pensions
                leaseholder64
                The ones I've always seem assume no further contribution, but the OP seemed to suggest that the scheme has only just started, and, given the figures used for these estimates have gone down a lot from when I was first in a money purchase scheme, I think a £44k pension pot in present day terms couldn't...
                22-05-2019, 10:36 AM
                Welshie
                I believe your pension statement is based on a calculation of what your pension fund is worth today and inferring no further contributions made. So if you stopped paying in to your pension fund, this is what your fund could potentially be worth at 65.

Each year you contribute more, this...
                22-05-2019, 09:50 AM
                alice123
                its not as bad as mine your better off than me -
                my workplace pension 53pence a month and im 6 years off retirement i think ill get about 50 pound a year so im going to have to work beyond retirement doing on line work and stuff like leaflet distribution but id be happy with the 11,000 a year...
                21-05-2019, 14:50 PM
                jpkeates
                I'm a little bothered by the low figures.

If the "tax free" amount is meant to reflect the position of today (ie. you can take out 25% tax free), it would mean your pension fund would be £44k when you are 65.
                Which means that the fund must have lost more than half its value...
                21-05-2019, 14:24 PM
                OneSmallStep
                Hi,

The monthly return does appear 'low'. However, I put as much into my pension as possible each year to bring my income into a lower tax bracket.

Think about how much it is actually costing you.

For £300 contribution each month it is only costing you £120 (assume...
                21-05-2019, 14:08 PM
              Working...
              X