To do up a property to sell or not?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To do up a property to sell or not?

We have had a long term tenant in a house we rent out for many years. They have now left, but the property is in poor condition and needs repainting inside and out and new carpets throughout. The bathroom needs completely re-doing. The question is whether it is always worth renovating before selling an ex rental property? I will get an estate agent in to tell us how much property is worth as it is now and how much it would be if renovated. I just wondered though if anyone on the forum had any experience of selling a "Doer Upper" . If we did renovate the house ourselves to put it back in good condition, we would be paying full market rate to painters/decorators etc as we don't have the time to do any of the work ourselves.

Your Business decision.
    Sounds like a lot of work required to put it in marketable condition but you have had the benefit of several years rent.

Comment

It depends.

Personally, I would get a decorator in and have ceilings, walls (magnolia or a nice very light grey) and glosswork done. Then get a carpet cleaning firm in to give the carpets a once over. This will remove any bad smells, and gives it a nice fresh bright look.
      Leave the bathroom/kitchen alone... Negotiate price with that in mind (buyer can then choose what they want).

We recently had a decorator do our rental between lets.. As he had unfettered access and no furniture to work around it came in at £800 for ceilings, walls and glosswork.

Comment

Get 2 EA's to come and value the property as it is and the estimated price of what it could be worth if done to a certain level, you already have an indication of the rental for the property. Then get 2 quotes on what you want being done to the property and compare - make your decision based on the information.

Comment

Thank you all for your advice!

Comment

I think it depends where the property is. I recently sold a 3 bedroom ex council house in Bromley, Kent that needed completely updating including double glazing. The market price for one of these houses done up was about £340,000. The agent put it on for £330,000 and we accepted £320,000 about 2 weeks later. All the aggravation and expense would have negated the possible £20,000 we could have got if we had done it up. Less another 28% CGT to the taxman.

Comment

Certainly doing it up yourselves & getting a higher sales price is likely to generate a higher tax bill so is probably not worth it. But by spending just a little on it ie. getting it clean & slapping white / magnolia paint on the walls, you may increase the value by more than you spend. Most buyers are not very good at seeing past what is in front of them so if you can make it appear reasonable you will get a better price. Remove anything that detracts from the property, clean the kitchen & bathroom well, hang 2nd hand curtains & lampshades - all things that make the property look better without costing very much.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Let to rent or let to buy
                Propertygoesup
                I've got my only property let out as follows:
                value 215k mortgage 150k
                Rent 9k mortgage 4k
                Mortgage 2.69%
                I don't own a residence as still at family home.
                Confused about next move. I've got 75k cash available and borrowing for another mortgage around 140-150k.
                Do...
                21-03-2019, 18:11 PM
              • Reply to Let to rent or let to buy
                Propertygoesup
                I guess if I look at it that I own one property at the moment regardless of whether it's let out or not. Then what decision to take from there.
                buy second property and be leveraged 75% on each plus paying 3% sdlt.
                or paying off more of property one and having the surplus to invest in other...
                22-03-2019, 15:15 PM
              • Bungalow for a buy to let?
                Spartanlandlord
                We have 6 buy to lets but was wondering if anybody has any thoughts about the desirability of a bungalow as a buy to let? I know that bungalows carry a premium so the yield might not be so good but wondered if anybody had opted for a bungalow and for what reasons? Thanks.
                01-03-2019, 19:51 PM
              • Reply to Bungalow for a buy to let?
                RobR
                All of my rentals are Bungalows.
                My tenants vary from young couples to elderly retired and I have never struggled to find suitable tenants. The reason I like bungalows:
                1. Easier to work on for Maintenance purposes.
                2. They don't make them anymore.
                3. Suit a wider range of...
                22-03-2019, 14:37 PM
              • Reply to Bungalow for a buy to let?
                PJackson
                Just a rough estimate.
                10% for repairs, 12% for management, 10% for voids
                750 rent, 350 mortgage
                (750-350)*12 = 4800 *.9 *.88 *.9 = 3,421 = ~7.6% of 45,000
                22-03-2019, 14:18 PM
              • Remortgage Now ??
                mojo_scotland
                Hi, one of my properties fixed rate expires in August.

I am within my 6 months till remortgage. Would you consider getting an agreement tied down now in advance, with Brexit occuring in May ?

Personally i dont think rates will go any lower - possibly upwards after Brexit ...
                22-03-2019, 14:04 PM
                Propertygoesup
                Thank you kind sir I just have a short memory I think....
                21-03-2019, 19:50 PM
                loanarranger
                Propertygoesup , I don't wish to appear rude but haven't we already explored your question on previous occasions with many of us making what I think was constructive suggestions, I fear that others may be disinclined to respond to a repetitive question. Sorry to say this but I just wonder why.
                21-03-2019, 19:49 PM
              • Which property to buy
                Propertygoesup
                When buying property either to rent out do you have any no no's or must haves?
                eg some people avoid studio flats or flats in general due to being leasehold.
                In my area however you cant get any decent houses below 250k. My budget currently is 230k so I am just finding flats. I can get a...
                31-01-2019, 11:06 AM
              • Reply to Which property to buy
                buzzard1994
                As you mentioned living in it - buy a property bigger than you need, rent a room. Potentially £7.5k tax free....
                21-03-2019, 10:49 AM
              Working...
              X