Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I linked to this several years ago:

Comment

Still watching but not a great beginning..............."The system which is ultimately responsible for the inequality in our society today. The system which has kept them atop the financial food chain for the last 100 years"

This all sounds very well if wealth inequality had actually increased over the last 100 years. Would you rather live in 1895 or 1995? Yes me too. If anything debt has allowed people from low income backgrounds to build businesses, buy houses, make fortunes. Wealth inequality around the world has fell dramatically over this period on every scale imaginable

Comment

JKO, Do you know how to copy this video on rbs bank onto here ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjnHGZft5T0

Comment

Comment

Thanks JKO, Its good to have this video posted up here.,

The Northern Rock failed around August 2007.

I remember seeing the depositors queueing up in Station Road , Harrow to get their money out from failing the bank .

The Northern Rock Board of Directors must have been recruited from one of the big Supermarkets because the bank was offering 130% mortgage loans on property worth only 100%.

The big crash by RBS ( then world's biggest Bank ) came about a year later.

But I don't understand why the UK Banking Regulator did not stop RBS (with fortis & Santander ) from making a high risk takeover of dutch bank ABN in Oct 2007.

Comment

A good book on this subject :
              https://www.amazon.co.uk/Grip-Death-.../dp/1897766408

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post
                Thanks JKO, Its good to have this video posted up here.,

But I don't understand why the UK Banking Regulator did not stop RBS (with fortis & Santander ) from making a high risk takeover of dutch bank ABN in Oct 2007.
                They were foolish. Barclays was after the same bank, however, they backed away. Barclays were made a share offer, whilst RBS was cash for the bank.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Overpay which mortgage?
                  Peter42
                  Hi All. We have a BTL interest only mortgage @ 3.88% on rental
                  We also have a interest only mortgage on our residental house @ 2.05%
                  If miraculously we have money to overpay , which should we choose?
                  I thought 3.88% as higher interest , wife says 2.05% as its our residence and leave...
                  23-05-2019, 14:27 PM
                • Reply to Overpay which mortgage?
                  Peter42
                  Thank you. Everyday,s a school day
                  24-05-2019, 12:32 PM
                  JK0
                  CGT is charged on what you get for a house versus what you paid for it. Whether you have a mortgage to pay off or not is immaterial.
                  23-05-2019, 16:12 PM
                  Peter42
                  Ok thanks. We thought overpaying on the rental increases the profit ie more CGT
                  23-05-2019, 15:26 PM
                  JK0
                  I don't think your mortgage has any bearing on CGT.

Even taking 40% tax relief off 3.88% is more than 2.05%, so I'd say the BTL is the one to overpay.
                  23-05-2019, 14:33 PM
                • Workplace Pensions
                  mojo_scotland
                  Going off on a slight tangent here.

My workplace auto-enrolment pension now has me contributing £150 per month. My employer matches this.

My statement reads, in today’s money...

At 65 years old (I’m 36 now) I may receive.

11k tax free. ...
                  21-05-2019, 09:07 AM
                • Reply to Workplace Pensions
                  leaseholder64
                  The ones I've always seem assume no further contribution, but the OP seemed to suggest that the scheme has only just started, and, given the figures used for these estimates have gone down a lot from when I was first in a money purchase scheme, I think a £44k pension pot in present day terms couldn't...
                  22-05-2019, 10:36 AM
                  Welshie
                  I believe your pension statement is based on a calculation of what your pension fund is worth today and inferring no further contributions made. So if you stopped paying in to your pension fund, this is what your fund could potentially be worth at 65.

Each year you contribute more, this...
                  22-05-2019, 09:50 AM
                  alice123
                  its not as bad as mine your better off than me -
                  my workplace pension 53pence a month and im 6 years off retirement i think ill get about 50 pound a year so im going to have to work beyond retirement doing on line work and stuff like leaflet distribution but id be happy with the 11,000 a year...
                  21-05-2019, 14:50 PM
                  jpkeates
                  I'm a little bothered by the low figures.

If the "tax free" amount is meant to reflect the position of today (ie. you can take out 25% tax free), it would mean your pension fund would be £44k when you are 65.
                  Which means that the fund must have lost more than half its value...
                  21-05-2019, 14:24 PM
                Working...
                X