Buy to Let - find a mortgage with a Regulated Tenant? (commercial/resi use property!

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Buy to Let - find a mortgage with a Regulated Tenant? (commercial/resi use property!

    Hey I have read on this forum.. that it is virtually impossible to get this (however, most of the posts are a couple of years old)

    So just wondering if anyone has ever managed to get it done?

    Its a Mix Used Property (shop with a flat above) - Shops Rented out - great lease etc..
    The Flat is occupied by Regulated Tenant.

    Looking to raise a buy to let on it..

    Anyone know anyone that might be able to help?

    How much is the weekly rent paid by tenant ?


      £210 per week..

      Why would that be important?


        That's sounding high for a regulated flat. £910/month.

        Or is that total rent whole building?
        I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...


          Mr Breaker, I have researched what options might be available where the tenant in the residential element is classified as a Regulated Tenant, unfortunately the only class of Regulated Buy to Lets which are acceptable to a minority of lenders are those where the property is Let to a member of the immediate family and indeed where an AST is in place and the borrowers have a specific minimum level of earned income excluding any surplus rental income.

          I am sure that there may be a lender of sort who would lend but the loan to value would be very conservative and at a price which would perhaps not be acceptable to you. Even though Commercial/ Buy to Lets are Unregulated any broker would find it difficult to make a written recommendation. Have you considered Peer to Peer Lending where there may be investors who have an appetite for higher risk and slightly different propositions.


            Thanks guys,


            I haven't considered that.. (unless bridge finance is also the same as peer to peer - in which case this was going to be my next thought process) -so i am not adverse to peer to peer (i don't know exactly how it works).. At the end of the day, the circumstances surrounding the tenant lead me to believe they will be out within 12-24 months. So any term finance i would incur a fee when getting re-financed.

            The ArtfulDodger:
            It is a high rental income as the property is in central london (5 Bedroom Flat) (worth £2500 a month!)

            The situation is:
            Property Worth £800,000 (Due to regulated Tenant - Otherwise £1.2m)
            Rental Income:
            £24,000 Commercial
            £9,750 Residential

            I really need to release around £500,000 from the property.

            I plan to redevelop as soon as the Tenant is out (we are going to try and negotiate - 90 year old - has to climb 3 sets of stairs!) - but don't want to put pressure so allowing for a 12 month-24 month transition.. (the sooner the better)

            Any Thoughts?


              Bridging Finance is entirely different to Peer to Peer funding. The former is a facility secured against a property where the interest can be rolled up or paid on a Monthly basis but where the capital sum plus any accrued interest is repaid within a specific period , possibly 6/12/18 months. It is not a cheap affair particularly if the interest is being rolled up.
              Peer to Peer borrowing is based again on a First Charge basis where the borrower is matched with one or more potential nvestors who place their funds via the P2P organisation. The proposition and the length of time the money is required and is assessed by the P2P before being marketed to its members. They in turn may bid x% of the monies required with a return being promised of y%.

              If you google P2P or Peer to Peer Funding you will come across a number including Funding Circle which recently came to market with a floatation but suffered a loss of premium to shareholders.


                Originally posted by Mrbreaker View Post
                Any Thoughts?
                Make sure none of the tenant's family move in to live with them.

                You need a specialist funder (someone like a private bank) who can build you a unique deal.
                BTL lenders hate properties over shops (even though this sounds a bit posher than a flat over a bookies), and bridge loans are bloody expensive when you can't be sure of the end date.
                They tend to have a lovely ratchet effect over time - and the lender might end up with the property for cheap.
                When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


                  Ahh thanks,

                  Ill have a lookinto this..


                  Latest Activity


                  • Libor v Base Rate
                    My present bank only lends on Libor. I've taken my last 3 mortgage out with them on Libor + 3.25%
                    Is this risky?...
                    21-10-2018, 18:08 PM
                  • How money is created :
                    Here is something everyone should try to understand : How money is created :

                    Money is more than banknotes and coins. If you have a bank account, you can use what’s in it to buy things, typically with a debit card. Because you can buy things with your bank account, we think of this...
                    14-10-2018, 09:26 AM
                  • Reply to How money is created :
                    Still watching but not a great beginning..............."The system which is ultimately responsible for the inequality in our society today. The system which has kept them atop the financial food chain for the last 100 years"

                    This all sounds very well if wealth inequality had...
                    21-10-2018, 12:49 PM
                  • Reply to How money is created :
                    I think I linked to this several years ago:

                    20-10-2018, 22:40 PM
                  • Which mortgage to overpay?
                    I want to clear my residential mortgage quicker. Have an interest only BTL that has a £300 surplus each month after the interest is paid. Seems an easy question but then tax relief on the BTL mortgage payments comes into play. The BTL is in the name of a basic rate tax payer.

                    20-10-2018, 16:17 PM
                  • Reply to Which mortgage to overpay?
                    You have £300 per month surplus money and can reduce your mortgage loan by £3600 in one year.

                    On your residential mortgage , you reduce your loan by £3600 and saving £72 interest ( at 2% ) next year

                    On your BTL mortgage , you reduce your loan by £3600 and saving £144...
                    20-10-2018, 21:44 PM
                  • Reply to Which mortgage to overpay?
                    Is this a trick question?

                    Put some figures in and all relevant info.

                    And please don't move the goalposts later on to reveal you are from the planet Zog, with diplomatic immunity and all rent is paid to an oak tree based in the Cayman islands receiving WTC.
                    20-10-2018, 20:14 PM
                  • help, what to do with mortgage?
                    ok situation is:

                    own a house that have been renting out and now want to sell. the house has been on the market for 9 months, which isn't unsual in this area. the tenant has now decided to move out and has bought there own place.

                    im now staring at an interest only...
                    07-10-2018, 10:01 AM
                  • Reply to help, what to do with mortgage?
                    take out or extend the mortgage on your own home at a low fixed term rate and use the money to pay off the bighet btl mortgage ?
                    20-10-2018, 12:43 PM
                  • Reply to help, what to do with mortgage?
                    They pay Contribution in Lieu of Council Tax (CILOCT) if living in forces accommodation and can make a claim for it from the MOD in certain circumstances on certain deployments.

                    But no discounts from local councils that I'm aware of....
                    20-10-2018, 08:09 AM