A question about making an offer to buy.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A question about making an offer to buy.

So tomorrow, my wife and I are viewing an 1950s ex-council 3 bed end terrace, that is actually 2 doors from our first BTL (around the corner) with a view to this being our second BTL. The difference compared to all the others that we have seen, is that this is advertised by an agent in the next town, and this viewing is with the vendor.

I'm inclined to believe that it's a touch overpriced, (based on what's sold nearby recently, and how much work they needed, but also what hasn't sold, and why) but as a long term investment it would still work at the asking price.

My wife thinks a bit more short term and thinks house prices and rents will both drop when Brexit kicks in. Given that it's been on the market just over a week, I'd imagine that they are not likely to be open to move far yet.

Now I'd quite like to suggest a price after the viewing to the vendor, and explain my reasoning. But if I put myself in the vendor's shoes the whole thing is irrelevant.

What's relevant is that we have a mortgage approved in principle, and we have no chain, so it all depends on how quickly and without hassle they need / want to sell.

What's also relevant is that all the other properties we've viewed would need some work before they could be let out and looking at the pictures this is good to go (doesn't always pan out like the pictures - what software do agents use to remove the "detritus" ?)

Anyway, thoughts as to the best way to approach it?

Am I over thinking again ?

I think it's a mistake to buy rentals too close together. Tenants will inevitably cotton on.

Suppose you get £700 pcm in rent for your new place, then your other one falls vacant. Due to the market & time of year, you can only get £650.

Tenant in your new place will feel aggrieved at paying £50 more than his neighbour, and it will ruin your relationship.

Comment

my approach would be go and view and discuss as little as possible with the vendor, wait til the estate agent calls you for feedback and tell them youll get back to them as youre working the numbers out on all the properties youve viewed, call them back next day with an offer around 10% under asking price and advise that youre a cash buyer and are purchasing within the next week so could they put offer to vendor and get back to you

if they knock you back you can always increase your offer, i tend not to, i believe a cash buyer is worth at least a 10% discount on someone who has to sell a property and/or has to arrange a mortgage

the other consideration however is that you may be happy with the cost of your mortgage v the rent chargeable in which case paying a slight premium on a property thats ready to go wouldnt be catastrophic, also are there plenty of other properties to choose from, my policy of bidding low works as theres plenty to choose from, if it was a one off id be more inclined to offer 5% under with a view to paying asking price if the vendor didnt accept

good luck

Comment

Depends on where it is and what the market is like - take a look at other properties in the area and whether they are selling quickly or not. London prices for council flats have dropped a lot, houses less so. Brexit will affect some areas more, and sooner, than others but is probably discouraging many purchases right now.

So I'd offer 10% less and say the offer is open for 7 days or less if I find another property. Definitely go through the agent, they want their cut and 10% less makes little difference to that. It may be too early but you can always go up a bit later if you want.

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
          I think it's a mistake to buy rentals too close together. Tenants will inevitably cotton on.

Suppose you get £700 pcm in rent for your new place, then your other one falls vacant. Due to the market & time of year, you can only get £650.

Tenant in your new place will feel aggrieved at paying £50 more than his neighbour, and it will ruin your relationship.
          That's interesting. You have experience of that ?

Comment

Originally posted by buzzard1994 View Post
            Depends on where it is and what the market is like - take a look at other properties in the area and whether they are selling quickly or not. London prices for council flats have dropped a lot, houses less so. Brexit will affect some areas more, and sooner, than others but is probably discouraging many purchases right now.

So I'd offer 10% less and say the offer is open for 7 days or less if I find another property. Definitely go through the agent, they want their cut and 10% less makes little difference to that. It may be too early but you can always go up a bit later if you want.
            That's interesting.

On the face of it we have set ourselves an impossible task. There's 1000 plus 3 bed houses within 10 miles in our price range, but we are focused on 2/3rds of L23, and 1/3 of L22. Which limits what comes up. It also limits the return on investment.

Comment

Originally posted by BROOSE View Post

my approach would be go and view and discuss as little as possible with the vendor, wait til the estate agent calls you for feedback and tell them youll get back to them as youre working the numbers out on all the properties youve viewed, call them back next day with an offer around 10% under asking price and advise that youre a cash buyer and are purchasing within the next week so could they put offer to vendor and get back to you

if they knock you back you can always increase your offer, i tend not to, i believe a cash buyer is worth at least a 10% discount on someone who has to sell a property and/or has to arrange a mortgage

the other consideration however is that you may be happy with the cost of your mortgage v the rent chargeable in which case paying a slight premium on a property thats ready to go wouldnt be catastrophic, also are there plenty of other properties to choose from, my policy of bidding low works as theres plenty to choose from, if it was a one off id be more inclined to offer 5% under with a view to paying asking price if the vendor didnt accept

good luck
              Unfortunately NOT a cash buyer but have got a Decision in principle from the lender on the other property.

Comment

Originally posted by Logical.Lean View Post

That's interesting. You have experience of that ?
                Yeah. A long time ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Logical.Lean View Post
                  Unfortunately NOT a cash buyer but have got a Decision in principle from the lender on the other property.
                  I'd still tell them you are a BTL buyer with no chain.
                  The mortgage approval decision will take less time than the searches anyway.

For most sellers (i.e. anyone who's ever sold a property previously) no chain and a funded buyer is pretty appealing.
                  If you're extra lucky and the property being sold is part of a deceased person's estate or the seller has found their next property it's almost too good to be true for them.
                  They almost expect the price to be lower because the other upsides are so good.

Tell them you''ll complete as fast as their conveyancer will allow.
                  When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                  Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

sorry for the confusion, jpkeates sums it up succinctly , i would view your position as on par with a cash buyer

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• New tax rule question
                      craig2222
                      I am just about to buy another property however I will be on the limit to go in to the higher tax bracket.By 2020 the higher tax will be 50000.By about 2021 I will be on 33000 with my job and income from property will be around 18000 to 19000. So that will bring to about 52000.Do you take allowable...
                      10-09-2018, 16:09 PM
                    • Reply to New tax rule question
                      Gordon999
                      Hi Loanarranger,

What does your UFML handbook say about UFML policy on offering mortgage loans for flat having leases below 70 years ?

and for leases with ground rent doubling up every 10 years ?
                      24-09-2018, 12:47 PM
                    • Reply to New tax rule question
                      loanarranger
                      A late Good evening Boletus
                      The CML no longer exists and has been branded including the handbook “UK Finance Mortgage Lenders' Handbook” Nothing however has changed in its contents apart from removing the previous name.
                      Have a great week.
                      23-09-2018, 21:54 PM
                    • Nobody is accepting my offers
                      platforminc
                      Hi All.

I am trying to be a newbie property developer, I operate mainly locally and what i am finding now is that despite the fact that i am offering the highest for properties, as soon as the dendors hear that i am a developer or simply put it this way (i am not interested in living...
                      20-09-2018, 09:55 AM
                    • Reply to Nobody is accepting my offers
                      boletus
                      Then you are wrong.

(Even though I think you are confusing this with repo sales.)

On that basis, any joker could put in worthless offers, chip on the survey, have a free punt on the market and waste everyone's time.

Question again to the OP-

Have you...
                      23-09-2018, 17:26 PM
                      Gordon999
                      I am sure if there executor is not selling the asset for highest offer, he/she may be committing an offence under the Fraud Act 2006 .

If the property is really good, OP should up his offer to motivate the seller and tell the estate agent to do their job..
                      23-09-2018, 13:23 PM
                      jpkeates
                      If it's a probate sale, they should definitely go for the highest bid (unless the time frame is enough to make that nonsensical).

The executor is acting for the estate, not what they think the deceased or potential beneficieries prefer, and an estate is unlikely to have a preference for...
                      23-09-2018, 10:02 AM
                      boletus
                      I don't buy that. I've bought to live, let, flip or develop for years without it making any difference.

The latest one from the OP is a probate sale, IME they nearly always go for highest/quickest (serious) bid.
                      23-09-2018, 09:10 AM
                      jpkeates
                      I suspect that the difference is that you're a landlord and proposing to let the property instead of developing it.
                      Lots of people would worry about the effect on their neighbours/friends when someone is planning to "develop" the property they plan to buy.

And some people...
                      23-09-2018, 08:55 AM
                      tatemono
                      I was thinking the same thing from our experience.

In the last three years, we've bought four properties and viewed many many more in the area where we have our portfolio. We've never once had an offer rejected where there wasn't a counter offer. In every case, we arrived at an offer that...
                      23-09-2018, 03:33 AM
                    Working...
                    X