Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

has the buy to let ship sailed?

Hi All,

I would like to purchase a buy to let and have been advised that the ship has sailed on this? Has the ship really sailed or is it difficult to find something viable to on-board? Also what are your thoughts on investing in Birmingham? Is it the next hotsopt? Should someone out side of Birmingham invest in a city that they cannot easily get to? what are your thoughts on this?

Thanks

Originally posted by Laavken121 View Post
    Should someone out side of Birmingham invest in a city that they cannot easily get to? what are your thoughts on this?
    My thought is no.

Letting property is an active business and you need to know the area you are investing in and be able to get there in an emergency, at least for your first properties.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by Laavken121 View Post
      Hi All,

I would like to purchase a buy to let and have been advised that the ship has sailed on this?
      Some 'experts' have been advising the same thing for decades.

Like any business, you need to adapt to the changing circumstances.

Comment

If someone is considering getting into buy to let and hasn't already satisfied themselves that the ship hasn't sailed,
        they're not making any kind of rational decision. They've already decided and are seeking validation for their decision.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Property has always been cyclical and investing in a Buy toLet Property must be regarded as a long term proposition, it definitely isn’t what the so called Property Seminar educators would have you believe to be a “ Get Rich Quick” investment.

There remains a demand for quality rental accommodation irrespective of the geographical location of property, certainly the tax benefits have taken some of the gloss out of such investment but compare the net returns to investing a sum of money in a 2/3 year Fixed rate investment and you will see that the ship hasn’t sailed into the deep blue yonder.

Comment

People will always need somewhere to live. Property will always be a pretty safe and good investment in my opinion. We are only about half way in to the current cycle so prices could accelerate given the right conditions

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
              My thought is no.

Letting property is an active business and you need to know the area you are investing in and be able to get there in an emergency, at least for your first properties.
              I started by buying peoperties 200 miles from where I lived. However, they were in the area where I had grown up and I still had contacts there, including a builder who had been a neighbour of my parents for 20 years.

Comment

Buying in other areas is fine but thinking you will have to do zero work is a mistake. As long as you are prepared to manage remotely you will be fine, if you are relying on a letting agent 100% you will not be fine

Comment

quite correct hech, remotely means needing a good all rounder for repairs who has a gas engineer contact and preferably a sparky

Comment

Originally posted by hech123 View Post
                    Buying in other areas is fine but thinking you will have to do zero work is a mistake. As long as you are prepared to manage remotely you will be fine, if you are relying on a letting agent 100% you will not be fine
                    Why relying on agent might be bad ?

Comment

An agent is looking to make money for themselves - not you. You can rely on them..................to do whatever is in the best interest for themselves

Comment

Originally posted by hech123 View Post
                        to do whatever is in the best interest for themselves
                        most businesses find that if they do their business well they end up making money for themselves which, coincidentally, is in their best interest.

Any letting agent worth their weight will manage the landlord's interests alongside their own if both of them are out to make money. That's good business sense.

What I think you want to say is that most letting agents don't have good business sense, which I'd agree with.

Comment

Laavken121,

Have you read this report posted by LandlordZone ? It should answer your question . Wait for 3 years before you buy.

https://www.landlordzone.co.uk/news/...gh-three-years

Comment

from the article:

Continuing strong tenant demand in the private rented sector, and a steady increase in the number of professional landlords taking up the slack, will help counter the ill effects.
                            this makes it sound like the next three years will be great for those prepared for it... i.e. those who have already secured finance, cash buyers in particular.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post

Have you read this report posted by LandlordZone ? It should answer your question . Wait for 3 years before you buy.

https://www.landlordzone.co.uk/news/...gh-three-years
                              I read it as saying as now is a good time to buy. It says demand is low so prices should be low, but are expected to pick up in 5 years time.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• New tax rule question
                                craig2222
                                I am just about to buy another property however I will be on the limit to go in to the higher tax bracket.By 2020 the higher tax will be 50000.By about 2021 I will be on 33000 with my job and income from property will be around 18000 to 19000. So that will bring to about 52000.Do you take allowable...
                                10-09-2018, 16:09 PM
                              • Reply to New tax rule question
                                Gordon999
                                Hi Loanarranger,

What does your UFML handbook say about UFML policy on offering mortgage loans for flat having leases below 70 years ?

and for leases with ground rent doubling up every 10 years ?
                                24-09-2018, 12:47 PM
                              • Reply to New tax rule question
                                loanarranger
                                A late Good evening Boletus
                                The CML no longer exists and has been branded including the handbook “UK Finance Mortgage Lenders' Handbook” Nothing however has changed in its contents apart from removing the previous name.
                                Have a great week.
                                23-09-2018, 21:54 PM
                              • Nobody is accepting my offers
                                platforminc
                                Hi All.

I am trying to be a newbie property developer, I operate mainly locally and what i am finding now is that despite the fact that i am offering the highest for properties, as soon as the dendors hear that i am a developer or simply put it this way (i am not interested in living...
                                20-09-2018, 09:55 AM
                              • Reply to Nobody is accepting my offers
                                boletus
                                Then you are wrong.

(Even though I think you are confusing this with repo sales.)

On that basis, any joker could put in worthless offers, chip on the survey, have a free punt on the market and waste everyone's time.

Question again to the OP-

Have you...
                                23-09-2018, 17:26 PM
                                Gordon999
                                I am sure if there executor is not selling the asset for highest offer, he/she may be committing an offence under the Fraud Act 2006 .

If the property is really good, OP should up his offer to motivate the seller and tell the estate agent to do their job..
                                23-09-2018, 13:23 PM
                                jpkeates
                                If it's a probate sale, they should definitely go for the highest bid (unless the time frame is enough to make that nonsensical).

The executor is acting for the estate, not what they think the deceased or potential beneficieries prefer, and an estate is unlikely to have a preference for...
                                23-09-2018, 10:02 AM
                                boletus
                                I don't buy that. I've bought to live, let, flip or develop for years without it making any difference.

The latest one from the OP is a probate sale, IME they nearly always go for highest/quickest (serious) bid.
                                23-09-2018, 09:10 AM
                                jpkeates
                                I suspect that the difference is that you're a landlord and proposing to let the property instead of developing it.
                                Lots of people would worry about the effect on their neighbours/friends when someone is planning to "develop" the property they plan to buy.

And some people...
                                23-09-2018, 08:55 AM
                                tatemono
                                I was thinking the same thing from our experience.

In the last three years, we've bought four properties and viewed many many more in the area where we have our portfolio. We've never once had an offer rejected where there wasn't a counter offer. In every case, we arrived at an offer that...
                                23-09-2018, 03:33 AM
                              Working...
                              X