Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad time to Invest? Needing Advice!

Hello Everyone,

I'm 21 and currently looking into investing into more property in the East Midlands area (Lincoln to be exact). I was left with a property when I turned 15 and this has been rented out since then. I'm now in the position where I want to invest and expand my portfolio. I've been looking at property for months and going back and forth with mortgage advisors and estate agents trying to understand what I'll be getting myself into. Is it a good time to invest? Is there ever a good time to invest? I can't help but see these articles that always seem to be along the line of 'buy to let is dead' or 'landlords cashing in before it's too late'

I fail to see how how buy to lets can just disappear when there are so many people doing it. I understand that the costs are getting higher (stamp duty etc) but I still can't see this being enough to deter me.

The house is currently worth £125,000 and there is no mortgage.

My plan is to take 65% of the equity out of the property and invest this into 2 others properties. I'll keep my current house as a repayment mortgage and then have the other 2 as interest only. The mortgage rates I've been given seem really good! I can definitely see a profit but are there any costs that may catch me off guard? As I've never been through the process of buying a property I want to make sure I know the costs before I go into it.

Hopefully once I'm comfortable with 3, I'll be able to expand further.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

-Reece

There’s never a right or wrong answer to this question because there are loads of variables and, ultimately, no one has a crystal ball.

I don’t know your area, so you’d do well to speak to local agents and other local landlords about which areas are desirable and which have performed well over the last 20 years or so.

But the basic numbers of what you’re doing sound reasonable. You’ll have about a third equity across your portfolio of three houses which should give you adequate protection against another downturn (the banks are unlikely to allow you to put yourself in a risky position anyway).

But you will need a significant “rainy day” fund. If a boiler needs replacing you have to act promptly, if a tenant stops paying and won’t leave, you could be looking at 6-8 months without income plus legal costs (you can get insurance for all of these things).

Keeping a working float of 6 months rent should cover you well enough for the worst case scenarios.

Comment

as an alternative have you considered seeing how much you can get your current property valued at, id try for £150k valuation and look to put a 75% btl mortgage on it, this would give you £113k cash to play with, being a cash buyer helps you buy properties below market value as sellers know youre not gonna drop out through financing difficulties.

i dont know the numbers in lincoln but working on how i do things and assuming prices are a bit higher id then do this

id look to buy something thats cheap as it needs work doing to it

so lets say you buy something for £85k and spend £15k doing it up youre in it for £100k, at that amount of investment id want £625.00 pcm rent

then look to get a btl mortgage on it, id assume youd be able to get it valued at £125K which would get you a mortgage of £94k, an interest only mortgage should cost you about £200.00 pcm giving you a monthly profit of £425.00

this system works if youre looking for immediate income and the possibilty of long term capital growth

you get nearly all your cash back to go again with, it works for me with slighly lower values, ive bought 5 over 6 years and have got my initial pot of cash still and have invested on average £10k in each property on refurbishment, when i last calculated values the properties should sell easily marketed at £125k more than the mortgages against them

regarding btl being dead, i dont think so, its not as lucrative as it was once your income puts you into 40% tax bracket and also the extra stamp duty effects everyone a little bit although i just put it into my calculation as a cost so in effect the seller is getting 3% less rather than me paying 3% extra

Comment

Stamp duty is a cost to buy, so while you do have to fund it at the front end, you can deduct it from your profit when you’re calculating CGT when it’s time to sell.

Comment

Lincoln is a University City that is expanding, so there will always be rental possibilities across the board. However, this means that bargains are few and far between, as there are plenty of Landlords wanting to buy. I would just wait six Months or so, as I am just starting to see price reductions on right move!

Comment

Originally posted by HantsAgent View Post

But the basic numbers of what you’re doing sound reasonable. You’ll have about a third equity across your portfolio of three houses which should give you adequate protection against another downturn (the banks are unlikely to allow you to put yourself in a risky position anyway).

But you will need a significant “rainy day” fund. If a boiler needs replacing you have to act promptly, if a tenant stops paying and won’t leave, you could be looking at 6-8 months without income plus legal costs (you can get insurance for all of these things).

Keeping a working float of 6 months rent should cover you well enough for the worst case scenarios.
            Thank you, i'll keep this in mind! 6 months is what I was aiming for. I expect there will be a couple of hiccups at some point so this'll come in handy.

Comment

Originally posted by BROOSE View Post
              as an alternative have you considered seeing how much you can get your current property valued at, id try for £150k valuation and look to put a 75% btl mortgage on it, this would give you £113k cash to play with, being a cash buyer helps you buy properties below market value as sellers know youre not gonna drop out through financing difficulties.

regarding btl being dead, i dont think so, its not as lucrative as it was once your income puts you into 40% tax bracket and also the extra stamp duty effects everyone a little bit although i just put it into my calculation as a cost so in effect the seller is getting 3% less rather than me paying 3% extra
              I haven't, It's definitely something I will keep in mind! The only problem I can see is when it comes to refurbishing the properties. I'd like to build up a list of contacts who would be able to do some of the bigger jobs (re-plastering, new kitchen/bathrooms etc.). I'm hoping this will just come naturally over the years of expanding my portfolio.

Maybe starting off with refurbishing properties would be best but if not then there's nothing stopping me in a few years.

Comment

Originally posted by amazondean View Post
                Lincoln is a University City that is expanding, so there will always be rental possibilities across the board. However, this means that bargains are few and far between, as there are plenty of Landlords wanting to buy. I would just wait six Months or so, as I am just starting to see price reductions on right move!
                If I leave it 6 months could my current mortgage rates rise though? I suppose it's all about finding that right balance of low house prices and good interest rates.

After speaking to a few estate agents houses definitely aren't selling for what they're put up for. Are house prices really going to drop that much when everything else is going up? Is there a possibility that a recession could happen? It's been 10 years since the last one.

Comment

Timing the market is for mugs.

At 21 years old it is a great time to invest (as well as enjoying yourself at the same time).

But so many variables and individual circumstances.

What about this for consideration;

Flog the inherited property, CGT free.
                  Buy in Lincoln (I know it a bit) a 3 or 4 double bed Victorian freehold house with a bit of character in a potentially up & coming area. Research 'your' selected area so you know it far better than anyone else.
                  Buy on sq M.
                  Buy at trade.
                  Complete it to a high standard. Fully furnish. Put in the extra baubles. Charge top, top whack.
                  Be a live in landlord to quality students, young professionals. Kip in the attic/storeroom/garden shed if needs be. Clean up after them with good grace.
                  Treat yourself at the Wig and Mitre on Steep Hill now and again.
                  Choose your tenants very carefully. Keep a professional distance, they aren't your mates -a crèche for adults.

No SDLT.
                  Rent a room allowance.
                  Live in landlord rules.
                  No CGT.
                  Even reduced IHT!

20%+ yield

But it takes work, organisation, management, bollocks and leadership.

Comment

Originally posted by boletus View Post
                    Timing the market is for mugs.

Buy on sq M.
                    Buy at trade.
                    Complete it to a high standard. Fully furnish. Put in the extra baubles. Charge top, top whack.
                    Be a live in landlord to quality students, young professionals. Kip in the attic/storeroom/garden shed if needs be. Clean up after them with good grace.
                    Treat yourself at the Wig and Mitre on Steep Hill now and again.
                    Choose your tenants very carefully. Keep a professional distance, they aren't your mates -a crèche for adults.

But it takes work, organisation, management, bollocks and leadership.

As awesome as that would be I probably should've mentioned that i'm not actually living in Lincoln at the moment. I moved down south 8 months ago with my gf to maximize our income and increase our savings. Our rent is dirt cheap (family member owns our flat so we're getting a better rate) and we're both on decent money so it's a win win.

I love your enthusiasm though!

Comment

Ah! OK, makes sense.

If you've not already done so, have a look into nominating your property as your main home with HMRC to avoid CGT.
                      (Might not be possible if you've never lived there but there are limited exceptions for working away.)

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• New tax rule question
                        craig2222
                        I am just about to buy another property however I will be on the limit to go in to the higher tax bracket.By 2020 the higher tax will be 50000.By about 2021 I will be on 33000 with my job and income from property will be around 18000 to 19000. So that will bring to about 52000.Do you take allowable...
                        10-09-2018, 16:09 PM
                      • Reply to New tax rule question
                        Gordon999
                        Hi Loanarranger,

What does your UFML handbook say about UFML policy on offering mortgage loans for flat having leases below 70 years ?

and for leases with ground rent doubling up every 10 years ?
                        24-09-2018, 12:47 PM
                      • Reply to New tax rule question
                        loanarranger
                        A late Good evening Boletus
                        The CML no longer exists and has been branded including the handbook “UK Finance Mortgage Lenders' Handbook” Nothing however has changed in its contents apart from removing the previous name.
                        Have a great week.
                        23-09-2018, 21:54 PM
                      • Nobody is accepting my offers
                        platforminc
                        Hi All.

I am trying to be a newbie property developer, I operate mainly locally and what i am finding now is that despite the fact that i am offering the highest for properties, as soon as the dendors hear that i am a developer or simply put it this way (i am not interested in living...
                        20-09-2018, 09:55 AM
                      • Reply to Nobody is accepting my offers
                        boletus
                        Then you are wrong.

(Even though I think you are confusing this with repo sales.)

On that basis, any joker could put in worthless offers, chip on the survey, have a free punt on the market and waste everyone's time.

Question again to the OP-

Have you...
                        23-09-2018, 17:26 PM
                        Gordon999
                        I am sure if there executor is not selling the asset for highest offer, he/she may be committing an offence under the Fraud Act 2006 .

If the property is really good, OP should up his offer to motivate the seller and tell the estate agent to do their job..
                        23-09-2018, 13:23 PM
                        jpkeates
                        If it's a probate sale, they should definitely go for the highest bid (unless the time frame is enough to make that nonsensical).

The executor is acting for the estate, not what they think the deceased or potential beneficieries prefer, and an estate is unlikely to have a preference for...
                        23-09-2018, 10:02 AM
                        boletus
                        I don't buy that. I've bought to live, let, flip or develop for years without it making any difference.

The latest one from the OP is a probate sale, IME they nearly always go for highest/quickest (serious) bid.
                        23-09-2018, 09:10 AM
                        jpkeates
                        I suspect that the difference is that you're a landlord and proposing to let the property instead of developing it.
                        Lots of people would worry about the effect on their neighbours/friends when someone is planning to "develop" the property they plan to buy.

And some people...
                        23-09-2018, 08:55 AM
                        tatemono
                        I was thinking the same thing from our experience.

In the last three years, we've bought four properties and viewed many many more in the area where we have our portfolio. We've never once had an offer rejected where there wasn't a counter offer. In every case, we arrived at an offer that...
                        23-09-2018, 03:33 AM
                      Working...
                      X