Selling at auction

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flying so youre saying my best option is to sell via estate agent and leave tenant there until an offer is accepted and then give 2 month's notice so the buyer can have it empty? Is it possible tenant can still drag heels and possibly cause the deal to collapse?

Comment

Originally posted by amazondean View Post
      If a property at auction has no reserve, the auctioneer cannot bid the price up, otherwise the auctioneer might end up with it!. The price will end up being what the property is actually worth.

If the property has a reserve, the auctioneer can and does, bid the price up to, but not including the reserve, if there are no real bids. When it doesn't sell it looks like it only just missed the guide price, when in reality it may have only reached a fraction of the final price if it was left to the public.
      This is completely wrong. What you are saying is if only one buyer turns up for a property at auction (and no one else has decided to bid) and they waited for the price to drop to 50 pounds then this would be the market value? It is indeed muddled thinking like this which causes people to make such a mess in business. There are regularly 30 properties in large auctions which do not sell - this does not mean they are worth a low amount, it just means no one bided.

Comment

I’ve sold plenty of tenanted properties over the years to other landlords who want them with the tenants in situ.

Pros and cons of auctions (as a seller);

Pros
        - when the hammer drops, you’ve exchanged contracts
        - can be a much quicker sale than if you did it the conventional way
        - a room full of people can, for the right property, push the price up

Cons
        - larger than average selling fees, 2.5-3% is normal
        - other than setting a reserve, you have no say in the final price you sell for
        - advertising by the auction house can be poor

Where is the property located? PM me if you’d rather, I know a lot of investors.

Comment

Originally posted by hech123 View Post

This is completely wrong. What you are saying is if only one buyer turns up for a property at auction (and no one else has decided to bid) and they waited for the price to drop to 50 pounds then this would be the market value? It is indeed muddled thinking like this which causes people to make such a mess in business. There are regularly 30 properties in large auctions which do not sell - this does not mean they are worth a low amount, it just means no one bided.
          I am not sure what you are trying to say really. It wont get to £50 because there is a reserve and the auctioneer will bid it up to whatever they like near the reserve, if there are no bids or only one bidder .

If there was no reserve, then yes, you could end up with a house for £50 if know one else wanted it. As you say, it most likely wouldn't get that low would it, because there would always be someone wanting it cheap, even if they didn't really want it. So a 25% reduction (as I mentioned earlier in the post) on what people think it is worth is very possible!

Comment

Your comment was if properties did not have reserves we would see what they are worth. My point is not having a reserve does not make you see what it is worth, it will in some cases were you get fair bidding. In other cases some properties will not get interest and not get bidders. My point of 50 pound was extreme - In an auction room ever person has not seen every property so if you have one which no one has viewed they would obviously pay a lot less for it - would this make that property worth less?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Inheritance and wills
              Raiden328i
              I am probably asking in the wrong place but I thought someone may have a idea?

My grandmother died this year and my dad her eldest son died back in 2006.

I was told a few years after my dad died by her that she changed her so that my uncle her other son would get half the...
              13-09-2016, 09:19 AM
            • Reply to Inheritance and wills
              tatemono
              I'm thinking of writing a book about it one day when it's all over. As Churchill said, this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.
              19-10-2018, 17:45 PM
              jpkeates
              Sounds like a right mess....
              19-10-2018, 17:10 PM
              tatemono
              You're probably right, but here's an example of an exception to that.

For example, after my mum died, the initial firm of solicitors obtained probate on the basis of intestacy for my mother's estate about two years ago. Thankfully, this probate was never enacted because of legal complications...
              19-10-2018, 14:12 PM
            • Mortgage News
              loanarranger
              The following article has appeared in one of the Mortgage Trade journals reporting on views expressed by the Association of Mortgage Intermediaries an influential trade body within the mortgage industry.

"Mortgage rates are likely to rise in the first quarter of 2016 as lenders look...
              23-12-2015, 18:43 PM
            • Reply to Mortgage News
              loanarranger
              Correct, I spoke with Paragon this morning and indeed they are using Sonia as the basis of rate setting rather than 3 Month Libor but this only applies to loans which were indeed linked to Libor but any mortgage offers being made now quote a reversionary rate which is between 4.85% and 5.60 depending...
              19-10-2018, 10:43 AM
            • Reply to Mortgage News
              boletus
              Phew! You had me worried there.
              It is not a SVR set by the lender, it is a replacement index independent of their control;

https://www.mortgagefinancegazette.c...or-04-09-2018/

LIBOR is to be replaced, for GBP Sterling, with an updated...
              19-10-2018, 08:08 AM
            • Reply to Mortgage News
              boletus
              Can they do that? Surely if borrowers signed up for a LIBOR tracker, the lender can't just alter the terms onto a SVR of their choosing.

Mortgage Express, amongst others, tried and failed with their BofE base rate tracker mortgages.

Is this only for new lending?

19-10-2018, 07:31 AM
            • Reply to Mortgage News
              loanarranger
              Lenders criteria may get tougher in 2019
              At a conference with lenders yesterday it was revealed that the Financial Conduct Authority was expressing reservations on the methodology of data being remitted by lenders and its potential impact on lending and the market as a whole both for Regulated&...
              19-10-2018, 06:21 AM
            • Reply to Mortgage News
              loanarranger
              Libor linked Mortgages changes
              Loans that are presently linked to 3 month Libor will shortly be abolished with lenders applying a new rate which is akin to a Standard Variable rate. The downside to this is that it removes the transparency of knowing that at the quarterly review date the 3 month...
              19-10-2018, 06:07 AM
            Working...
            X