holiday let overseas before EU door closes?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    holiday let overseas before EU door closes?

    Just interested in thoughts re purchasing holiday let property in the EU prior to the UK leaving. Worth doing in light of this? Was it ever worth doing? Is investing in property in Europe only going to end in tears? Etc...

    #2
    Depends on where in the EU, if you speak/read the language, and what local property laws are (I know that Spain and France have some quirks that I would not be happy with).

    Comment


      #3
      what would the quirks in Spain be?

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by tatemono View Post
        what would the quirks in Spain be?
        That the goverrnment decide your property was illegally given planning permission, and demolish it without compensation?

        Comment


          #5
          It would depend on any deal (or not...) struck with the EU. For which, after only 2 years, the government have merely produced a rough brief draft of what they'll - probably - ask the EU for.

          Bunch of disorganized, incompetent , clowns.
          I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...

          Comment


            #6
            Where do you want to spend your holidays in EU ?

            https://www.globalpropertyguide.com/investment-rating

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by JK0 View Post
              That the goverrnment decide your property was illegally given planning permission, and demolish it without compensation?
              well you'd have to be an idiot in the first place to not follow basic advice pasted everywhere online to check that prior to starting the buying process. I was wondering if there were any that weren't as well-known.

              Where we spend our holidays would have no bearing on this. We're not the kind of people who go back to the same place twice so the idea of staying in our "holiday home" doesn't appeal. This would be purely for yield to supplement retirement income.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post
                Where do you want to spend your holidays in EU ?

                https://www.globalpropertyguide.com/investment-rating
                interesting link which I visited years ago and had forgotten all about. I know Amman pretty well so Jordan might well be an option actually.

                Better than Chisinau anyway ;-)

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by tatemono View Post

                  well you'd have to be an idiot in the first place to not follow basic advice pasted everywhere online to check that prior to starting the buying process.
                  That's my point!

                  Many properties that have been demolished actually had planning permission. No amount of checking would have indicated otherwise.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by tatemono View Post

                    interesting link which I visited years ago and had forgotten all about. I know Amman pretty well so Jordan might well be an option actually.

                    Better than Chisinau anyway ;-)
                    I am surprised you think Jordan may be a better option. I think it is too near to the Israel/Palestine conflight to be safe for investing.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      was I meant to disregard your link? Amman is right up there. Lived in Amman for years and know the ME well. Jordan's weathered much fiercer storms than Israel v Palestine. But on further investigation, prices are much higher than places I was looking at in Spain.

                      Ah well.. guess it comes down to what you're familiar with as much as any potential market shifts.

                      JK0 got a link to anything to verify that?

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by tatemono View Post
                        was I meant to disregard your link? Amman is right up there. Lived in Amman for years and know the ME well. Jordan's weathered much fiercer storms than Israel v Palestine. But on further investigation, prices are much higher than places I was looking at in Spain.

                        Ah well.. guess it comes down to what you're familiar with as much as any potential market shifts.

                        JK0 got a link to anything to verify that?
                        http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...nightmare.html

                        Comment


                          #13
                          interesting.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by tatemono View Post
                            Just interested in thoughts re purchasing holiday let property in the EU prior to the UK leaving. Worth doing in light of this? Was it ever worth doing? Is investing in property in Europe only going to end in tears? Etc...
                            Have you looked at Vilnius in Lithuania?

                            Comment


                              #15
                              only physically on a jaunt through the Baltics a few years ago. Why do you mention Vilnius in particular?

                              Comment

                              Latest Activity

                              Collapse

                              • Reply to Mortgage News
                                by loanarranger
                                To help clarify the changes relating to TMW & Nationwide I am detailing the new LtV’s across both brands.
                                Nationwide for Intermediaries
                                Max LTV Transaction type
                                ...
                                01-04-2020, 10:58 AM
                              • Mortgage News
                                by loanarranger
                                The following article has appeared in one of the Mortgage Trade journals reporting on views expressed by the Association of Mortgage Intermediaries an influential trade body within the mortgage industry.

                                "Mortgage rates are likely to rise in the first quarter of 2016 as lenders look...
                                23-12-2015, 19:43 PM
                              • Reply to Mortgage News
                                by loanarranger
                                Metro Bank have placed a maximum LtV of 80% across its residential mortgage range.

                                Bank of Ireland have dropped the maximum LtV on itsresidential products to 85%.
                                01-04-2020, 10:54 AM
                              • Reply to Mortgage News
                                by loanarranger
                                Nat West have just announced that they have placed a maximum LtV 80% for all new residential house purchase applications.
                                01-04-2020, 10:45 AM
                              • Reply to Mortgage News
                                by loanarranger
                                Hi Sam-Cat
                                Thanks for your kind comments.
                                At 60% LtV I doubt that you will have too much difficulty in getting another deal even though it is Barclays , but that is for another day.

                                Before leaping into a new deal , do explore what alternative facilities might be available to...
                                01-04-2020, 10:43 AM
                              • Reply to Mortgage News
                                by sam_cat
                                Thank you for keeping us in the loop in these worrying times.
                                Just thankful that I am sat on ~60% LTV before all this, hopefully Barclays wont have any issues giving me another deal (circa 6 months till its due)
                                01-04-2020, 09:46 AM
                              • Reply to Mortgage News
                                by loanarranger
                                I thought I would share with you a set of stats relating to the dramatic changes occurring within the Residential & Buy to Let Mortgage products.
                                On 16th March there were 20000 mortgage schemes available but on 30th March this had shrunk to approximately 11500; a number of lenders have suspended...
                                01-04-2020, 09:24 AM
                              • Reply to Mortgage News
                                by loanarranger
                                The following lenders have today made announcements governing future lending at least whilst the uncertainty continues because of the Coronavirus and Institutional funding:

                                Virgin Money has suspended all new purchase applications across its mortgage range and Remortgage Applications have...
                                31-03-2020, 17:10 PM
                              • Reply to Mortgage News
                                by loanarranger
                                I thought I had closed the day on an optimistic note but sadly I have received a communication from Foundation Home Loans that they have withdrawn from lending across its entire range until the situation returns to normality.
                                This is disappointing as they were in the minority for providing funding...
                                30-03-2020, 18:17 PM
                              • Not paying btl mortgage
                                by Propertygoesup
                                What's the worse that can happen If I stop paying a btl mortgage due to tenant not paying rent for 5 months and counting?
                                25-03-2020, 16:28 PM
                              Working...
                              X