Would you buy a disabled adapted bungalow?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Would you buy a disabled adapted bungalow?

    I am considering buying a disabled adapted bungalow as a rental property but I have no idea how much interest there will be. I currently only rent to working people but disabled people may be DSS. The garden is quite small so may not suit a disabled child. Opinions please.

    Disabled people find private rentals hard to get, so you are likely to get a lot of interest.

    A disabled person who manages to find a suitable property to rent is going to want to stay there a long time.
    So will want a good relationship with their landlord.

    One of the reasons the disabled find rental properties hard to find is because many landlords maintain a blanket 'no benefits' mentality.

    Of course disabled people, especially those in need of housing adaptations, are going to be receiving benefits, long term non-means tested benefits such as PIP or DLA.

    They are no more likely to lose their benefit income than an employed person is likely to lose their job, probably less so.

    Those on conditional disability benefits such as ESA are also less likely to be sanctioned than jobseekers.
    Even then being sanctioned does not affect housing benefit or UC housing element. (Of course there is a risk that they might use this to buy food in an emergency).
    PIP/DLA cannot be sanctioned at all, they have no conditionality. (They could be withdrawn altogether following a reassessment, just like someone could lose their job, but again housing benefit will still be payable on low income grounds).

    Not all benefits are the same.

    PS. I'll declare an interest.
    I've been a tenant in my current rental for 8 years, for the last 6-1/2 of these I've not been able to work and claiming a disability benefit (ESA). My rent has always been paid.


      Depending on location, condition and usual other checks etc, in a heart beat. Very limited stock and as above, plenty of good tenants out there who are after something thats right!
      And in your later years it may be something you want to move into for yourself...


        What are the special features of a disable adapted bungalow compared to a normal bungalow ?

        Is it just wider internal doors for allowing wheelchair access or having no doors at all ?


          Hand rails particularly in the bathroom, wheelchair access to the shower, ramp up to the front door. If I was looking to rent and wasn't disabled I would prefer a 'normal' home.


            So basically just a ramp at the front door.

            Handrails are pretty easily removed even if it might need redecorating afterwards.
            But you were going to decorate anyway weren't you?.

            Many people like a level access shower, or even a full wet room, not just wheelchair users.

            Which just leaves the ramp, you could leave it or dig it up.

            TBH it sounds to me that you have already decided against this and are looking for justification.
            Your choice, nobody is forcing you to buy it, and nobody is saying that you can't alter it if you do.


              Originally posted by nukecad View Post
              So basically just a ramp at the front door.

              TBH it sounds to me that you have already decided against this and are looking for justification.
              You are wrong. If I had decided against it I wouldn't bother posting and whatever decision I make I don't need to justify it. If I'm not going to rent it out as a disabled property I'd buy an unmodified one instead.


                Good to hear, as said above there is a shortage of private rented accomodation suitable for wheelchair access.

                Handrails etc. are easily fitted and removed, but it would be a shame to remove an existing access ramp.


                  I would check with local council or social services about the rental demand ( any waiting list ?) before you jump in to buy.


                    If the price was right and likely demand OK, yes.

                    MOST adults in this country are on some benefit or other (Child benefit, PiP, JSA, HB (about a million working people get HB..) etc etc etc etc...)
                    I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...


                      Disabled people are likely to receive some benefit - but they may also be working. If the price was right I'd definitely consider it. If it didnt work out and you wanted to sell again it will appeal to the elderly, a market that is growing.


                        A friend only buys bungalows and never has any issues with pensioner aged tennants and they like the 15 year old kitchens that are in and they rarely move, sounds like a winner to me


                          When I was buying I did try to purchase a number of disabled properties but was unsuccessful. I felt at the time they were sure fire winners for long-term tenants and in most cases easily rented to able-bodied people if necessary.


                            I would be careful about purchasing this type of property unless it could be easily adapted to a regular property. There are some strong points above for a purchase but I would be slightly worried about general risks and assessing them. I would imagine the risks of someone being injured or hurt are vastly improved in this type of property. I would also imagine a lot of disable people will have many helpers from Social services or other agencies who know the rules inside out. Unless you are comfortable assessing these risks you may be taking on a lot larger risk than you realize. I may be wrong but that would be my initial thoughts. For instance escape in case of a fire must be vastly increased?


                              Sorry' but I think you have got this the wrong way round.

                              It is a known problem that some landlords, wrongly, think they would be open to all kinds of extra liabilities if they rent to a disabled person.
                              And that they may have to pay for adaptations out of their own pocket.

                              I would imagine the risks of someone being injured or hurt are vastly improved in this type of property.
                              Ramps, walk in showers, handrails; etc. are not going to make 'this type of property' more dangerous; they'll make it safer if anything.
                              That's the whole point of the adaptations.

                              A disabled (or elderly) person will be more likely to trip or fall, that's the way things are and is nothing to do with the property.
                              The adaptations will make this less likely for anyone living there, elderly/disabled or not.

                              I would also imagine a lot of disable people will have many helpers from Social services or other agencies who know the rules inside out.
                              You would prefer to rent to people who don't know your responsibilities as a landlord?
                              There are two 'extra' rules over and above what a 'normal' tenant would have.
                              You might have to provide the tenancy agreement in large print or audio CD.
                              You might have to waive a 'no pets' policy to allow an assistance dog.

                              Some landlords,wrongly, think that they might be compelled by law to make changes to their property for a disabled person - this is not the case.
                              Does your landlord have a duty to make adaptations to your home?

                              Your landlord doesn’t have to make changes which affect the structure or which would substantially and permanently alter your home. For example, they don’t have to remove walls, widen doorways or install permanent ramps. But there are some things they must do to adapt your home if you’re disabled and if it’s reasonable to do so.

                              What can you ask your landlord to do under the Equality Act?

                              You can ask your landlord to do the following things under the Equality Act:
                              • remove, replace or provide any furniture, furnishings, materials or equipment - so long as it would not become a permanent fixture when installed
                              • replace or provide signs or notices
                              • replace taps or door handles
                              • replace, provide or adapt your door bell or door entry system
                              • change the colour of any surface - for example, a wall or a door.
                              If the tenant wants to make any (non-structural) alterations or adaptations then they need your consent, which is not to be reasonably withheld.
                              Just the same as any other tenant.

                              More information:


                              Latest Activity