Difference between Ltd and SPV Ltd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Difference between Ltd and SPV Ltd

Hi, I have 2 BTL's a the moment in my own name, and want to set up a Ltd company for further purchases, probably HMO's, however I have just been googling and found out that an SPV Ltd company may be a better a choice, as there seems to be more mortgage products available. I've googled btl 'things' an awful lot over the last year or so, so i am surprised I have only heard of this 'SPV' thing now. So is this true? Is their any difference in the way they function, or any difference from an accounts point of view? Would I be better setting up an SPV ltd company, rather than a normal Ltd company? How do I do it? Are there any negatives? Any advice would be good.

Thanks for your advice :-)

This explanation by MBF may help you to understand SPV Ltd :

http://www.mortgagesforbusiness.co.u...mited-company/

Comment

As a broker the first thing to take account of is that the vast majority of lenders will only accept SPV's rather than a general trading company. The latter is always vulnerable to issues arising from activities outside the individual properties. Each type of Company setup has what is termed a SIC code and it is this which needs care in having the right code in place as lenders automatically check on the Company House register to ensure that it meets with its lending criteria to a Limited Company.

Comment

I presume the company articles also need to prevent its use as a trading company, as it seems to me there is little or no checking on SIC codes.

Comment

Thanks for all your help. The mortgage on my own home is coming up for renewal in 1.5yrs, and I was hoping to release some equity to help fund more btl deposits, but if i had a ltd company i wouldn't have took any profits out as a wage, i would have reinvested it in extra btl deposits, so would that go against me from a point of lending against my own house (as I want to release as much equity as i can from my own home), as if i'd bought extra btl's in my personal name, any profits would show as income, when trying to prove how much i earn.

? Help ?

Comment

It would not have an adverse affect on your personal borrowing , any loans funded via a Ltd Company do not come into the affordability equation given that the asset is owned by the Company with you and anyone else as director/shareholders.
            You make mention of wanting to release monies when your present loan incentive expires but this does not automatically necessitate a Remortgage with all the possible associated costs. The question is does your present lender offer a switch product which might be slightly more expensive than that for new mortgage applications but cheaper than reverting to the Standard Variable rate. If they do then the next question to ask is do they permit Further Advances and allow the monies to be utilised for further property acquisition if yes then you might be able to take advantage of such a facility now whilst rates are low and without disturbing the existing product incentive and is pertinent given that rates will not be at their present level in 18 months time.
            There may be features which might prevent you doing the above but it is an option to investigate particularly as you could then lend the monies as a directors loan to the company to allow it to help fund the next acquisition.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
              I presume the company articles also need to prevent its use as a trading company, as it seems to me there is little or no checking on SIC codes.
              I used the government's model articles, which don't prevent trading. Also the SIC was refistered until the first lot of accounts - after the company had existed for a year and several months after the first mortgage was granted.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Property too close to takeaway
                by Lara
                Has anyone had this issue where a lender has declined a BTL mortgage due to the property being too close (2 doors away)? Apparently this affects the re-sale value even though the value on the property has factored this in and if sold today, would achieve that price.
                25-01-2022, 11:08 AM
              • Reply to Property too close to takeaway
                by Lawcruncher
                The problem these days is that lenders will not make decisions. Fifty years ago if there was an issue you could call the local branch of a building society and speak to someone you probably knew. They would either say there was no problem or refer it to head office who would come back with an answer....
                27-01-2022, 12:16 PM
                by Lara
                Thank you Loanarranger, that's what I was hoping for. This is a new broker to us and they are indeed looking for a new lender. We may go back to our old broker - he charges us, but his service as been great over the years. Sadly offspring decided to do things her way and we ended up with this new broker....
                27-01-2022, 08:34 AM
              • Reply to Financing for Airbnb properties
                by loanarranger
                First change your broker , clearly doesn’t know the market.
                Contact the following;-
                The following have limits on loan to value but broadly speaking one can secure certainly loans of 70% with some at 75%, a good broker will point out which lenders only deal via the Intermediary sector.
                • Bath
                • Castle
                26-01-2022, 22:30 PM
              • Financing for Airbnb properties
                by ZEON69
                Hi there,

I am new to the forum and looking to purchase my first rental property. I was hoping to let the property on Airbnb etc for short term rental as the returns seem much better than a standard rental in my area. I had spoken with a mortgage broker who advised that lenders are not...
                26-01-2022, 19:25 PM
                by loanarranger
                Lenders rely on the advice of their valuer who in turn will determine whether the Indian/ Chinese / Macdonalds and any other fast food outlet has the necessary piping to ensure that the smells/ aromas do not pervade into property in the immediate vicinity , also is there a possibility of the takeaway...
                26-01-2022, 16:43 PM
                by Section20z
                Flats above takeaways have always been a problem, not sure how they would have known there was one "two doors down" but maybe it's something they ask the valuer to report on specifically.
                Maybe your broker or adviser ought to have known this rule and warned you.
                26-01-2022, 14:09 PM
              • Government consultation for more leaseholders to own their own buildings.
                by Gordon999
                Leaseholders could find it easier and cheaper to buy the freehold of their building under radical government proposals to create a fairer housing system..

As part of a consultation opening today (11 January 2022), Homeowners and the housing industry are being invited to give their views...
                26-01-2022, 13:30 PM
                by Lara
                Ps: nothing in their terms and conditions about - everything else under the sun is, but not this one.
                26-01-2022, 08:39 AM
                by Lara
                Thanks for the response, but it doesn't answer my question. Not sure how common this is, but you would think this sort of thing will be known upfront before there is a hard credit search on your file and the whole mortgage process gets underway with surveyors and solicitors engaged. Happy to go elsewhere,...
                26-01-2022, 08:38 AM
              Working...
              X