Funding a deposit?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funding a deposit?

Hello all i am after some genuine advice off people who know what they are on about, hence i am here!

so the problem i have..
    have found a property at auction, guide price is £200,000 but honestly i think it will go for closer to £300,000 (bare in mind i have not seen the legal pack yet so there could be some hidden secrets)
    It needs work but the bank have said i can have a mortage for £340,000.

Trouble i have is the deposit of 10%, if it goes for what i would say is my max £300,000 i would need to put £30,000 down on the day, the property would need work so want some cash flow so £30,000 plus fees is just not viable for me. The mortgage will accept 5% (ie £15,000)

so my question, is there a form of lending to cover the 10% deposit? Or even 5% of it if i was to win the bid? I don't really want to go for a personl loan as i am unsure how this would affect the mortgage aplication and of cause i could not just ring the bank up on the day to release the funds there and then.

sorry for the long post, just wanted all the info down.
    Thanks all!

A slightly tangential response, but this is a property market ripe for implosion with a lot of blood on the carpet.

If you really do not have capital to fund £10K here and there what are you thinking buying properties -- what exactly will you do when the roof suddenly needs 10K or repairs, or you need a new boiler, or a tenant stops paying for 2 months.

Comment

Don't buy what you can't afford. Simple!

Comment

I agree with Gordon, as a novice I do not believe you should be speculating with such a property, even professionals get caught out occasionally with cost overruns and if capital is tight your planned endeavours could quickly disappear.
        get back to basics and always have an exit route which doesn’t involve a distressed sale.

Comment

if you can raise a mortgage for such a huge amount, why are you throwing all your eggs into this one basket? The yield will be lower in comparison to a couple of properties a third the price leaving you enough cash to give you any liquidity you may need for the unexpected.

Comment

What are youthinking of ! ! !

Puting down £30,000 deposit, then borrowing £ 270,000 !
            Getting up to £ 1000 per month rent, but that goes to pay off your mortgage, and is not profit.

assuming you want to let it out ?, as this is a Landlord forum.

I started a business over the internet for £ 300 from my back bedroom, then sold the business 6 years later because it undercut everone else so it was bought to get me off the net.

Just stated another one, cost £ 50,000 over 2 years from my back bedroom, and many trips to the "States" but i recover my total outlay in 3 to 7 years, completly,

Borrow money to start a business where you have more than one customer per year ( one tenant stays 1 year = 1 customer )

If you want property overseas, I can give you 6 detached houses for £ 300,000, refurbished with tenants.
            I am not advertising, I am putting your business proposal ( assuming you want to let ) into perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by ram View Post
              overseas, I can give you 6 detached houses for £ 300,000, refurbished with tenants
              where's that then?

this wasn't quoted from advertising by Blackmore Bonds was it

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• MUFB and first time buyer
                martwolf
                First time buyer or a property. I would like to buy 4 flats: value 375,000
                I would like to live in the largest flat which represents 50% of the freehold.
                Each flat registered individually for council tax and utility bills but under 1 combined Freehold.
                Q. being a first time buyer...
                21-10-2018, 14:04 PM
              • Reply to MUFB and first time buyer
                martwolf
                Ok thanks Gordan. Its been a surprising difficult task finding good advice. I know this case is a little different....
                23-10-2018, 13:24 PM
              • Reply to MUFB and first time buyer
                Gordon999
                If you do not have any other property registered under your name, then as first time buyer, you may escape the 3% extra sdlt. Consult a local solicitor firm before you act.

Not sure if relief, mentioned below is available in your situation .

First-time buyers are entitled...
                22-10-2018, 13:14 PM
              • rent out property for 6 months whilst selling or sell empty?
                logan5
                sort of a continuation of a thread i started.

now wondering if i should get a tenant in for the winter months or not? while still marketing the property. do houses sell all year round in your experience or does it drop in the winter to nothing?

what i dont want to do is sit...
                22-10-2018, 12:40 PM
              • Reply to rent out property for 6 months whilst selling or sell empty?
                Gordon999
                I think best time to sell a property is from Late March to October.

But if you are located near the town's refuse centre or some smelly factory , then its bad time all year rround.

Dec is a bad month to look for a rental tenant.
                22-10-2018, 13:02 PM
              • Libor v Base Rate
                VictoriaH
                My present bank only lends on Libor. I've taken my last 3 mortgage out with them on Libor + 3.25%
                Is this risky?...
                21-10-2018, 18:08 PM
              • Reply to Libor v Base Rate
                loanarranger
                Victoria
                Libor as it existed was always slightly higher than Bank Rate, anything between 0.2/0.5 above Bank Rate. The only slight benefit/ adverse feature of Libor was that the rate was set every three months and therefore would result in either having a short term benefit or adverse effect on...
                22-10-2018, 07:26 AM
                Gordon999
                If your question was about the interest rate Libor +3.25%, Libor rate ( for 3-6 months ) is currently about 0.905 %.

So you are paying approx 4.2% interest rate and I would expect you get notification of new rate from the bank.

If you can change to a 5 years...
                21-10-2018, 23:02 PM
                Gordon999
                I found this on the pimco website:
                SOFR and other alternatives to Libor: recent developments

Over the past year, industry leaders and regulators have articulated tangible steps to implement alternatives to Libor, laying the foundation for markets to reference and build liquidity around...
                21-10-2018, 22:38 PM
              • How money is created :
                Gordon999
                Here is something everyone should try to understand : How money is created :

Money is more than banknotes and coins. If you have a bank account, you can use what’s in it to buy things, typically with a debit card. Because you can buy things with your bank account, we think of this...
                14-10-2018, 09:26 AM
              Working...
              X