X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alidee
    started a topic EPC (or HIP?) on property to let

EPC (or HIP?) on property to let

Had a landlord ask an interesting question today .
    He has seen a local company offering HIPs quite reasonably and was wondering if he could have a HIPs done on his property rather than an EPC when they come into force.
    Any idea how much assessors will be charging for EPCs and whether a HIP can be done on a property instead ?
    Ive got a feeling the answer is probably a resounding no but does anyone know for sure?
    many thanks
    Alidee

• Wellerfan
    replied
    Wickerman.....how did you bug my office???????

Leave a comment:

• Wellerfan
    replied
    HiPs/EPC's

As somebody who has just moved from the resdential sales market into lettings I can confirm that HiP's are a complete and utter waste of money, just a money making scam for the government.Gordon Brown must think it's Christmas every day!!
    I will accept the fact that EPC's are a good thing tho. Without sounding too much like Swampy (the environmental tramp), we really need to start taking care of the world we live in, ensuring that property does not waste energy is a relatively small price to pay to help.
    There.
    I've said it.

Leave a comment:

• amandah
    replied
    Re Annexe which is owned by me

Hello, I am new here. I am absolutley furious that yet again us Landlords have been caught out yet again !! More money goes out than ever. Now I gather that come this October I have to have the property in question have its own EPC certificate.This morning I telephoned two local rental agents and this is news to them.I am NOT selling the property as I own its and its joined on to mine and we pay all the bills.I have a Gas Saftey once a year.Someone some where had better make sure that all LANDLORDS and also ALL Rental Agents know about this otherwise people will get caught out.The property has double glazing and is all up to date so another money making scheme I fear .!! Sorry I dont mean to come across as being rude to anyone but I think that this is going to put many Landlords of renting out in the private sector.i do Not own other propertys apart from this Annexe/granny flat.Thank-you in advance, amandah

Leave a comment:

• hip-consultant.co.uk
    replied
    Originally posted by alidee View Post
    He has seen a local company offering HIPs quite reasonably and was wondering if he could have a HIPs done on his property rather than an EPC when they come into force.
    Any idea how much assessors will be charging for EPCs and whether a HIP can be done on a property instead ?
    Ive got a feeling the answer is probably a resounding no but does anyone know for sure?
    many thanks
    Alidee
    There is no need for landlords to provide a HIP and certainly would not be a cost effective solution for them.

They say everything is cyclic and the confusion and uncertainity around the rental EPC market i am witnessing is similar to when the home information packs were first introduced.

Leave a comment:

• susanne
    replied
    and whose responsibility is it to check that we have fulfilled our legal duty ?

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    HIPS do not apply for rentals and never will. What will apply, however, is the EPC bit.

Leave a comment:

• EnergyAssessor
    replied
    many thanks
    Alidee

Hi Alidee,

I am an Energy Assessor (and former landlord). I do both HIPs and EPCs and have done a few already for the rental market.

You can have a HIP for a rental, but there isn't much point unless you were thinking of selling. I have done a few HIPs on rentals where the buyer and seller had agreed to commission a HIP in order to speed up provision of searches but to be honest I don't think it makes much of a difference.

Price for EPCs for the rental sector will I expect be around £70-100, much cheaper than HIPs which are around the £250-350 mark.

Happy to quote for work in Devon and Cornwall.

Thanks

David J Wood

http://energyassessor.org/rentalepc.htm

Leave a comment:

• ste.ve
    replied
    many thanks
    Alidee
    Hi Alidee

I'm a qualified (DipDEA) Domestic Energy Assessor and I'd like to confirm the info ChrisG gives is accurate. Regarding the cost of an EPC this will depend on many factors such as the type and size of the properties, how many you require doing and where in the country the properties are situated.
    If you are anywhere near Teesside (Middlesbrough) please PM or Email me and I will give any advice you require without any obligation.

Cheers

Steve

Leave a comment:

• ChrisG
    replied
    The EPC is a required part of the HIP and can only be done by an acredited Domestic Energy Assessor. You can have a HIP or a stand alone EPC done anytime you want if you are prepared to pay - However I would only have a HIP done if I were selling as the searches would be out of date v quickly better to have the EPC done and use it in a HIP when I wanted one done so as to market the property as the Epc is valid for 10 yrs, Also don't believe agents etc when they advertise FREE HIPs as you will pay through the nose one way or another especially if you change agents and you suddenly get the small print thrust under your nose.
    Last edited by ChrisG; 25-02-2008, 22:41 PM. Reason: late night spelling error

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X