Energy Performance certificates

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Energy Performance certificates

I've just read that we've got to supply Energy Performance Certs for our rented houses after October this year.

I didn't realise this was becoming law for rental property. I'm sure someone will argue with me but i'm convinced this government is trying to make LL's life more and more difficult with hair-brained schemes that cost us money.

Anyway, i assume that the scheme is for New Lettings Only after October? i.e. - we've not got to immediately have our entire portfolios certified by this date?!

Anyway, i assume that the scheme is for New Lettings Only after October? i.e. - we've not got to immediately have our entire portfolios certified by this date?!
    I think it only applies to new lettings.

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by pcwilkins View Post
      I think it only applies to new lettings.

Peter
      Correct, any property advertised for rent on or after 1st October 2008 will require an EPC at a cost of approx £100 - £200.

However, does anyone know what would happen if you issue a new AST to a current tenant after 1st October?

Comment

I don't know, but you can bet your back teeth if you issue a new tenancy they'll make you comply! :-(

I don't know about anybody else here, but the type of tenant i get isn't going to be interested in reading an energy performance report.

Hey Ho, more things to worry about...:-(

Comment

Originally posted by Colincbayley View Post
          what would happen if you issue a new AST to a current tenant after 1st October?
          I guess that it's just the same as issuing a new AST to a new tenant --- it's a new agreement. But I may be wrong.

I don't know about anybody else here, but the type of tenant i get isn't going to be interested in reading an energy performance report.
          The average tenant isn't really interested in reading a gas safety certificate either!

But I do accept your point that these are a complete waste of time.

Hey Ho, more things to worry about...:-(
          There's no legal requirement to worry about it --- so long as you do it, I don't think they mind whether you worry or not.

Peter

Comment

lol :-)

I'm sure making it a legal requirement to worry about it is their next hairbrained idea!

Do these certs apply the same to flats as to houses?

Comment

Originally posted by jghomer View Post
              lol :-)

I'm sure making it a legal requirement to worry about it is their next hairbrained idea!

Do these certs apply the same to flats as to houses?
              Oh yes......and worrying is compulsory

Energy Surveys North East - Serving Teesside & Durham[/COLOR]

Be like a duck
              calm on the outside
              but paddling like ....crazy

Comment

Perhaps it's the Civil Servants (not the properties) that should be certified?
                JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

If you issue a new AST to an existing tenant there is no requirement for an EPC. It's only when you are showing/letting property to new tenants.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                  X