HIPs- what a load of junk

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HIPs- what a load of junk

Just had the first read of a HIP. 68 Pages of mostly junk.

HOWEVER, one thing I did notice in all the junk was the amount of information available on the internet for all to see, if you were 'not too honest'

1) I now know the full names of the owners of the property I am looking at (No big deal, but I could now approach them direct saying 'Hello Mr & Mrs Smith I would like to buy your house and cut out the estate agent)

2) I know when they purchased the property and how much they paid and who the mortgage is with. ( OK this info is already available from HMLR, but how many people would look it up ) Possible to use this info for ID Fraud.

3) The property title deeds give me a layout of the area, the website gives me photo's and the floorplan of the property. ( Can pop round later tonight, hide behind that big tree in the garden, break in via the back door and run off with that nice new LCD TV in the lounge, Can make my getaway via the alley at the back )

Question:

Is it safe to have all this information available on the internet?

I doubt many vendors have thought about these security issues.

BEWARE.

Interesting thought.

Surely data protection must come into it.

I'm putting a house on the market next week.

Can any Tom, Dick or Harry look up my info on the internet if I go through an estate agent?

Comment

Originally posted by DianeB View Post
      Interesting thought.

Surely data protection must come into it.

I'm putting a house on the market next week.

Can any Tom, Dick or Harry look up my info on the internet if I go through an estate agent?
      I wouldn't have the HIP published on the net, would also be wary of what photo's they show.
      I'm honest and I can see a way of using all this information that is being made available for various crimes.

There was a situation earlier this year in Chelmsford Essex where a couple had thier house on the TV, The programme Location, Location, Location. A few days after the show was shown thier house was done over. The police think it was a result of the TV show (It was a very nice, expensive house)

Comment

Mr HIPs came round this morning to energy rate my house.

He told me that from next April the Government want the HIPs to extend to rental properties - at the very least having to have a property energy rated every time a new tenant is found!

Do you know anything about this?

Comment

Originally posted by DianeB View Post
          Mr HIPs came round this morning to energy rate my house.

He told me that from next April the Government want the HIPs to extend to rental properties - at the very least having to have a property energy rated every time a new tenant is found!

Do you know anything about this?
          http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...ead.php?t=8879

Comment

Exactly as posted here http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...ead.php?t=8481 the good thing is hopefully the landlords will use the DEA instead of an agent/provider as used for the HIP's were there is the risk of increased commission rates. At the moment the majority of sellers dont realise they have a choice and can aquire their own packs, I feel that it wont take long before the seller finds out they have a choice.
            1st Call DEA

*Domestic Energy Assessor / Home Information Packs
            *Home Energy Surveys
            *Rented Property Energy Certificates

Comment

Originally posted by Baggers View Post
              Exactly as posted here http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...ead.php?t=8481 the good thing is hopefully the landlords will use the DEA instead of an agent/provider as used for the HIP's were there is the risk of increased commission rates. At the moment the majority of sellers dont realise they have a choice and can aquire their own packs, I feel that it wont take long before the seller finds out they have a choice.
              In the sales market there's a definite shift away from the big national HIP providers towards small local companies and independents. As only the EPC is required for rentals, each and every DEA s already fully equipped to provide the full service so no, there seems no point in going through a provider.
              At least with a local DEA you have a better chance of him turning up on time, the national HIP providers often have office staff sitting many miles away and with no local knowledge, booking appointments for DEAs who may themselves be from outside the area!

David J Wood Dip DEA

EPCs and HIPs in Cornwall and Devon

http://energyassessor.org/rentalepc.htm
              EnergyAssessor.org

Comment

Originally posted by EnergyAssessor View Post
                In the sales market there's a definite shift away from the big national HIP providers towards small local companies and independents. As only the EPC is required for rentals, each and every DEA s already fully equipped to provide the full service so no, there seems no point in going through a provider.
                At least with a local DEA you have a better chance of him turning up on time, the national HIP providers often have office staff sitting many miles away and with no local knowledge, booking appointments for DEAs who may themselves be from outside the area!
                I would second this observation. We supply HIPs as an independant company and we are finding it is now common place that home sellers are purchasing HIP packs direct.
                Visit my - news and articles
                - resources, news and services
                - information, FAQ and provision

Comment

HIPs No Big Deal - EPCs only required for Rented Properties

The Home Information Pack, with the exception of the EPC, brings together information (title and plan, local land enquiries, drainage and water enquiries, Lease if applicable and sale statement) into one document which the vendor has to commission prior to the property being marketed. Apart from the EPC all these documents have been routinely required by conveyancers for years. The objective is by making this information available up front, buyers can make more informed decisions about their purchase, and conveyancing issues such as restrictive covenants, rights of access etc. can be dealt with more quickly.

Information about ownership of a property has been public knowledge for decades. The Land Registry has more recently had information available online for nearly all registered properties and this can be readily obtained, but a credit card and matching address have to be supplied.

Estate agents have been marketing properties online for years. Even where no postcode is given it doesn't take much to identify the property. Usually plenty of pictures for the crimals to use.

HIPs do not add to the risk of crime, but anyone marketing their property should be aware that there is an increased risk. Incidentally all EPCs have to be carried out by certified and Criminal Record Checked, Domestic Energy Inspectors or Home Inspectors. I don't beleive this applies to estate agents, conveyancers or chartered surveyors.

There is NO requirement for any landlord to suppy a HIP unless the property is to be sold with vacant possession.

From 1st October 2008 the government has announced residential rented properties will require an EPC to be produced upon change of tenancy. This will be valid for 10 years, although practically landlords may wish to update more frequently following changes to heating systems, windows etc.

The EPC from a private DEA or Home Inspector will cost around £75, usually no VAT. The EPC is lodged on a central register and the DEA will email you the link, and probably the EPC itself.

I would suggest landlords obtain the EPC directly from an individual DEA or Home Inspector to ensure they own the document and as others have said to keep the costs down. There are a number of websites findadea is one.

I carry out hundreds of EPCs a month in the Chichester area for sellers' HIPs packs and the vast marjority are now very supportive! How much have domestic energy costs increased in the past 2 years?

RichardO
                  Richard Oppé

Informed, Independent and Honest Property Advisor

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                  X