Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HIPS inspectors

Food for thought!

I read a newspaper advertisement offering training facilities for HIPS insectors. Unlike - say - a surveyor's training (three years at University, articles/training contract, and professional body memebership), a HIPSI needs:
    a. no previous experience (of anything?);
    b. a seven-week course, which can be spread over ten months; and
    c. little finance, as the course is subsidised (by HMG, using our money).

The ad beguiles applicants with £ signs in their eyes: "thousands of these new professionals are needed...new, lucrative [NOTE THAT!], and interesting career opportunities".

It states that fees expected are £80-£120 per energy assessment (doing up to 15 per week) and £200-£300 per Home Condition Report (doing 6 per week).
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

HIP Inspectors

I was one of those people with pound signs in their eyes, ( though genuinegly
    interested in property, would have loved to have become a surveyor)....so much so that I rang the number for an interview. I was so excited thinking I could bypass all those years in collage, and earn good money straight away.
    Although the course fee was subsidised, they still wanted £5000, and expected you to write the check there and then. I was so annoyed at being mislead , I didn't stay for the test.

Comment

and £200-£300 per Home Condition Report (doing 6 per week).
      Oh yeah! Now they are not compulsory is anyone actually having them done?
      RICHARD WEBSTER

As a conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful (provided it relates to property in England & Wales) but I accept no liability except to fee-paying clients.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Webster View Post
        Oh yeah! Now they are not compulsory is anyone actually having them done?
        Why would anyone want one?
        1. V is selling so does not care about condition: "Let the buyer beware".
        2. P is probably seeking mortgage advance (so needs mge valuation) and ought always to have a Homebuyers Report from a proper Chartered Surveyor (if not a full structural survey), so HCR is entirely superfluous.
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
          Food for thought!

I read a newspaper advertisement offering training facilities for HIPS insectors. Unlike - say - a surveyor's training (three years at University, articles/training contract, and professional body memebership), a HIPSI needs:
          a. no previous experience (of anything?);
          b. a seven-week course, which can be spread over ten months; and
          c. little finance, as the course is subsidised (by HMG, using our money).

The ad beguiles applicants with £ signs in their eyes: "thousands of these new professionals are needed...new, lucrative [NOTE THAT!], and interesting career opportunities".

It states that fees expected are £80-£120 per energy assessment (doing up to 15 per week) and £200-£300 per Home Condition Report (doing 6 per week).
          Three things you should know Jeffrey
          1) this course is a rip off and the firms advertising has been referred to Trading Standards on numerous occasions.
          2) The subsidy referred to in the advert was in fact from the training firms "sister" company. There are no grants or subsidies available from the Gov. for HI or DEA training
          3) generally speaking HIs and DEAs have been conned and miss-lead and very few of them are making even a living wage

Energy Surveys North East - Serving Teesside & Durham[/COLOR]

Be like a duck
          calm on the outside
          but paddling like ....crazy

Comment

Originally posted by simhar
            HIPs is money for old rope - full stop!
            whose money? what old rope? and what on earth are you talking about? HIPs has nothing to do with rental property (unless buying/selling is involved). The EPC is an EU directive therefore the UK has no option other than to bring in the legislation so even if HIPs were scrapped the EPC would still have to be carried on with, even the Tories admit this. If it's the EPC that you think is "money for old rope there are approx. 10000 assessors who would disagree with you!

In short I would love to see you explain your comment!

Be like a duck
            calm on the outside

Comment

Originally posted by ste.ve View Post

In short I would love to see you explain your comment!
              Steve,
              you should be advised that Simhar puts these one line comments on posts just to try and sell his LL software, none are ever thought out or of any use, and he/she doesn't respond to comments.
              Simhar has already had most of his/her posts deleted from this forum, perhaps who ever did that last time could do us all a favour and repeat the process.

Colin.

Comment

Originally posted by Colincbayley View Post
                Steve,
                you should be advised that Simhar puts these one line comments on posts just to try and sell his LL software, none are ever thought out or of any use, and he/she doesn't respond to comments.
                Simhar has already had most of his/her posts deleted from this forum, perhaps who ever did that last time could do us all a favour and repeat the process.

Colin.
                Oh I see, he/she is this forums equivalent of the village idiot. Every forum has at least one. Thanks for letting me know

Be like a duck
                calm on the outside

Comment

Originally posted by simhar
                  HIPs is money for old rope - full stop!
                  And that's not a full stop anyway- it's an exclamation mark.
                  Jounos call it a 'shriek'- perhaps the reaction to a Simhar post.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                  X