Relocating bathroom - alternatives to saniflo - 2 bed into 3 bed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Relocating bathroom - alternatives to saniflo - 2 bed into 3 bed

I would like to turn a 2 bed into a 3 bed, by relocating the bathroom to lay in the middle of the 2 old bedrooms, and the old bathroom would then become the 3rd bedroom. But I have heard horror stories about saniflo systems and tenants, so I wondered if there are any other options.

The 'new' bathroom would have one party wall with next doors property, and 3 interior walls (ie nowhere for the waste to go). I know it would need to be lit with light-wells, but what are my choices when it comes to getting the water/waste away? Whenever I visit new-show-homes, they seem to sandwich bathrooms and en-suites into every nook and cranny, and surely some of those would end up tenanted at some point.

Is saniflo my only option? There's plenty of space as the bathroom would end up being about 9ft x 6ft. Any advice would be great. The carpets/floor boards can come up easily, and the existing bathroom loo is about 14ft away, or the nearest exterior wall is about 7ft away, so the waste could then be took around the exterior of the house.

Thanks

Why would it need to be lit with light wells?

Comment

New houses will have soil pipes below where the toilets are. Either do the work for that, or forget the whole idea. (Unless you like bathing in sh*te of course.)

Comment

Personally I would avoid snaiflo or waste flow kits. they are expensive and one big dump can destroy the whole system.
        If you own the property downstairs, I assume you are talking about your house, and not a flat, then it maybe possible to drop the soil pipe down into the room below, with a riser (boxed in).
        otherwise you need to find a fall of 1 inch for every meter of travel.
        that may even be possible at 7ft away.

its hard to advise here without seeing it for ourselves, but if you cant figure out where to put a soil pipe, then I would consider if you have enough knowledge to install a bathroom.

Comment

Originally posted by EU9k View Post
          Personally I would avoid snaiflo or waste flow kits. they are expensive and one big dump can destroy the whole system.
          Complete and utter rubbish EU9k. Saniflo is a sealed system - but if it breaks down you need to fix it.

Putting items into the system that are not human waste and regular toilet paper are what stop the unit working. If you buy the right unit for the property there should be no problem and policing the tenants is the main concern.

My rule is if the Saniflo breaks down/goes into alarm mode and the service engineer finds 'items' in the system tenant pays for the engineer. I point this out at start of tenancy - it has worked so far. I have fitted Saniflo Cubic - 2 big pumps and macerators - cost £1,000 2 years ago. Rental income £645pcm. Works for me.

Expense - yes they are costly to buy/fit so are you going to recover that with extra rental income is the lead question?

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X