Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jjlandlord
    replied
    There is no requirement to have a valid EPC throughout the tenancy.

The requirement is to give a valid EPC to the person who becomes the tenant. Once this is done it no longer matters if the EPC expires.

Leave a comment:

• eco-energi
    replied
    Hello,

The best way to go about this would be to email to the contact given in the legislation and ask them. (last paragraph) http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2012/809/note/made

A new EPC is required if the tenancy is changed or it expires. Therefore, if the tenancy expires and a new tenant comes in then you require a new EPC. Similarly, if the EPC expires in Sept and the tenant is in situ than you require a new EPC.
    Every property in the should have a valid EPC during the tenure of tenancy.

Also, based on the Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards, as in April 2016, Domestic tenants can request energy efficiency improvements to properties, and these cannot be reasonably refused.

Leave a comment:

• Jane Needham
    replied
    This is a bit of a grey area, as it doesn't say anywhere in the Regulations, if there was an existing EPC what happens when it expires if no change of tenant. However the Landlords Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards may well change this- if a tenant asks for improvements, or after 2023 when I believe all let properties must have a valid EPC.

Leave a comment:

• JK0
    replied
    I wondered the same thing.

As far as I know, you only need an EPC when you apply for a possession order, and when you originally let the place.

Thus theoretically you could let it expire, and tenant would not be able to ask for any improvements to the EPC, as there is not one to improve. (Presumably they could get their own though.)

Leave a comment:

• nim
    started a topic EPC expires during periodic tenancy

EPC expires during periodic tenancy

Fixed term tenancy ends May 2017. EPC expires Sept 2017.

If I continued with a periodic tenancy after the fixed term do the tenants have to be given an EPC when the old EPC expires?

If the answer was no, could I continue forever with the same tenants with no EPC?

If I renewed the tenancy for a fixed term of one or two years before the EPC expires do I have to renew the EPC when it expires and do I have to supply it to the tenants.

Thanks. John

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X