Zinsser Perma-White

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zinsser Perma-White

Anyone used this stuff? I bought some matt white perma-white to do a plastered ceiling recently.

It says it needs priming, so I did a first layer of Zinsser Bin. I have now done two layers of the perma-white as well, but it still looks patchy, so I will have to do another coat.

What am I doing wrong?
    To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Was it lime plaster or the regular stuff? On the whole I find Zinsser stuff good to use and effective. Maybe a coat of Dulux primer sealer first would have been better?

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Thanks Interlaken. Normal plaster as far I know. I'll do another coat on Wednesday, and see how it looks. Don't you find Zinsser rather runny?
      To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

Sounds odd. Zinsser is brill. Is it possible someone has watered your tin down?

Comment

Thanks Claymore. Maybe before I got it. Perhaps that would explain the runniness.

Comment

I have not known Zinsser to be runny.

It is suprising what mischief people can get up to in DIY stores - buy a product - open carefully - use a bit of the product, top it up with a little water, reseal then take back for an exchange or refund.

Comment

Zinsser B-I-N is definitely runny. Very. Don't know about this other product.

Comment

Zinsser Permawhite is the biz for bathrooms. It shouldn't be particularly runny, though.Perhaps slightly more runny than Little Greene Intellimatt but the same as most retail emulsion. Did you stir the tin well first?

Also, it only needs a primer if the surface is bare plaster. Or a very dark colour perhaps. Otherwise just apply two even coats and the job's done.

It can be tinted to virtually any pastel shade, as well.
                'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

I hate to state the obvious but did you stir the tin thoroughly JKO?

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Originally posted by Interlaken View Post
                    I hate to state the obvious but did you stir the tin thoroughly JKO?
                    I have today...

I just shook it before, as it said to shake or stir well. Third coat went on today and now looks good. It was bare plaster.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• EPC recommendations
                      by brian75
                      Is it essential that EPC recommendations are carried out sequentially? The first one, insulation of insulation of solid floor would cost £6k and achieve 3 point improvement. The second, high heat retention radiators, would cost £1200 and gain a further 8. Currently at 67 - need 69. Very small ground...
                      05-07-2022, 14:44 PM
                    • Reply to EPC recommendations
                      by JK0
                      I'd be happy with a cheap one who gives a high rating.
                      05-07-2022, 21:19 PM
                      by Hudson01
                      I can see merit in this, but....... i can see the rise of the '' Expensive EPC assessor'' !!! And i don't mean the amount on the invoice

When this becomes more important we will just need to find the ' right ' assessor who needs to pay for an expensive family holiday....
                      05-07-2022, 19:47 PM
                      by ash72
                      EPC assessors, if you get a cheap person, he will spend a max. of 10 mins in the property and give it a C rating, as in my opinion they don't have the skills or expertise to really do a air tightness test, check the glazing for it's efficiency, etc. If you get it done, at least you've safe guarded yourself...
                      05-07-2022, 19:08 PM
                      by Hudson01
                      Not if they were a FTB and not renting it out..... then they are like the rest of the 95% of everyone else.... a simple home owner not subject to all this EPC nonsense....
                      05-07-2022, 18:46 PM
                      by brian75
                      Thank you for the advice - it may be difficult to sell up because any new owner would face the same problems (if well advised)
                      05-07-2022, 18:40 PM
                      by Hudson01
                      As said, it is all about to change so i would not be spending a penny on anything..... even then if it started to cost the figures you're quoting i would be looking to sell up.
                      05-07-2022, 18:07 PM
                      by JK0
                      I would not bother with anything at the moment. The methodology is due to change later this year, which might give you the improvement you seek for the cost of a new assessment.
                      05-07-2022, 15:28 PM
                    • Reply to What to do with "fireplace" cavity
                      by dp17
                      Although at home, for my daughters room, where we had an old fireplace that I had removed, I raised the base with blocks about 450 mm and filled it in but also did the same with the lintel above, then plastered it inside , added a mains socket, vent and light at the top inside and a glass shelf...
                      05-07-2022, 08:33 AM
                    • Reply to What to do with "fireplace" cavity
                      by Another Fine Mess
                      I had this with a terraced house I bought, there was an original fireplace and grate. I boarded it up and put a vent at the bottom just above the new skirting board. After renting it out a few months later the tenants were complaining of damp and black mould.
                      An inspection revealed that the...
                      05-07-2022, 07:35 AM
                    Working...
                    X