Zinsser Perma-White

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zinsser Perma-White

Anyone used this stuff? I bought some matt white perma-white to do a plastered ceiling recently.

It says it needs priming, so I did a first layer of Zinsser Bin. I have now done two layers of the perma-white as well, but it still looks patchy, so I will have to do another coat.

What am I doing wrong?
    To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Was it lime plaster or the regular stuff? On the whole I find Zinsser stuff good to use and effective. Maybe a coat of Dulux primer sealer first would have been better?

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Thanks Interlaken. Normal plaster as far I know. I'll do another coat on Wednesday, and see how it looks. Don't you find Zinsser rather runny?
      To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

Sounds odd. Zinsser is brill. Is it possible someone has watered your tin down?

Comment

Thanks Claymore. Maybe before I got it. Perhaps that would explain the runniness.

Comment

I have not known Zinsser to be runny.

It is suprising what mischief people can get up to in DIY stores - buy a product - open carefully - use a bit of the product, top it up with a little water, reseal then take back for an exchange or refund.

Comment

Zinsser B-I-N is definitely runny. Very. Don't know about this other product.

Comment

Zinsser Permawhite is the biz for bathrooms. It shouldn't be particularly runny, though.Perhaps slightly more runny than Little Greene Intellimatt but the same as most retail emulsion. Did you stir the tin well first?

Also, it only needs a primer if the surface is bare plaster. Or a very dark colour perhaps. Otherwise just apply two even coats and the job's done.

It can be tinted to virtually any pastel shade, as well.
                'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

I hate to state the obvious but did you stir the tin thoroughly JKO?

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Originally posted by Interlaken View Post
                    I hate to state the obvious but did you stir the tin thoroughly JKO?
                    I have today...

I just shook it before, as it said to shake or stir well. Third coat went on today and now looks good. It was bare plaster.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                    X