Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fitting a new kitchen

Hi

My new tenant has just signed the tenancy agreement last night and I was getting a new integrated dishwasher installed today as the previous tenants left it in a poor/unusable condition.

The problem is, during installation the builder noticed that the backs and bottoms of the kitchen units are soaked through with water and are not very stable, so it looks like I'm getting stung for a new kitchen.

For anyone thats had experience of installing a new kitchen (i.e. not me), would I be better purchasing one from B&Q or Homebase, or from a local kitchen supplier?

Would it be something that is recoverable on my landlords insurance policy?

Thanks

Brendan

Whether or not it is covered by your insurer will depend on the cause of the water escape and the wording of your policy. It's worth a try. Ask a plumber to advise as to what caused it and get it in writing. If it was malicious damage by your previous Ts, they are liable for the cost of reinstating the ktichen but if they have no money you are probably wasting your time.

In your shoes I would get a kitchen from IKEA or Howdens and pay a local fitter/joiner (not one employed by the company supplying the units) to put it in. It should take 2-4 days depending on how many units and how much electrical/plumbing work there is to be done (bear in mind that a fitter may not be qualified to do these so you'll need to check they know someone who is).

Keep all the receipts as the cost of replacing the kitchen (like-for-like quality, but not an upgrade) is offsettable against income tax.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

The previous tenants seemed to have decided to disconnect (whether on purpose or not) the waste pipe under the sink and not bother reattaching it. So all water was just flowing onto the bottom of the under sink cupboard. You can see the damage in the photo. The builder thought he got it all dryed up and then put new flooring and shelving in the unit, but we never thought to check all along the rest of the cabinets.

IMG_4171.jpg

Comment

That does not look like a modern unit. Modern units sit on legs away from the floor, and have a plinth across the front.

You could probably go for a whole run of base units (on legs), refit the worktop... and replace all the doors (or refit them)..

Comment

wow.... i have to agree with the above, they do not look very modern and i would suspect new units maybe in order, along with a full check on all the plumbing and electrics.

Comment

I agree with MTG and get any replacement from Howdens if you can. The reason being is they have a pretty good build quality, the units are not flat pack and if you need any extras, break something during fitting or are just missing a part after delivery you can just pop into the store to get a replacement.

I made the mistake of getting my new kitchen for a new BTL flat from Homebase. Yes it was a fantastic (due to offer) price but a absolute nightmare trying to get the replacement bits they forgot to deliver.

It probably cost me nearly a month in potential lost rent and numerous headaches. But they did give me a £50 Argus card as compo which of course made up for all the agro.

You get what you pay for.

Comment

Originally posted by Chicco View Post
              That does not look like a modern unit. Modern units sit on legs away from the floor, and have a plinth across the front.

You could probably go for a whole run of base units (on legs), refit the worktop... and replace all the doors (or refit them)..
              The house was newly built in 2003, so thats when the kitchen was installed.
              I think we are going with replacing all the bottom units along the wall where the sink was and then refitting the current doors as they're all fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Oakleigh View Post
                The house was newly built in 2003, so thats when the kitchen was installed.
                I think we are going with replacing all the bottom units along the wall where the sink was and then refitting the current doors as they're all fine.
                In that case you will limit yourself to units which the doors will fit exactly, which could end up being more expensive and time-consuming than just getting new units with new doors.

None of the main kitchen manufacturers' doors fit anyone else's units, in my experience.
                'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X