Help with insurance company regarding subsidence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surely you will need to say you have subsidence either on renewal of insurance or selling the property whether or not you make a claim.

Comment

well they have completely dismissed my surveyors findings of subsidence, and went with their expert who said no subsidence is present. so they cannot have it both ways if they say they will not pay as no subsidence is present I will simply go with their findings when i come to re-insure the place

Comment

Two related threads have been merged.
        I also post as Mars_Mug when not moderating

Comment

Typically insurers will monitor a property for 18 months to two years before making a decision. They will send staff round every two or three months to measure the distance between studs in the walls.
          A property fixed by underpinning (whoever pays) is going to be a lot easier to sell than a property which is obviously on a slant.

You haven't told us much about the house. How long have you owned it?
          How old is it? solid or cavity walls? If you acquired it fairly recently, what did your surveyor's report say prior to purchase? Have you any knowledge of subsidence in the area (have your spoken to your neighbours?)

Have the drains been inspected? leaking drains, often caused by invasive tree roots, can cause massive issues. [Heave rather than subsidence, I think, but same effect]

Comment

Sad s has just said exactly what I was thinking. Get your drains checked.

Comment

Right to answer sad s and andybenw - the insurers are giving me 6 months monitoring instead of 18 months. The property is prefabricated style built around early 1950's. And regarding you suggesting to check the drains, my subsidence expert that i commissioned suggested the same, so i brought out my local water company, they checked both sewage and fresh water pipes by listening for any leaks through through sound listening equipment. They heard no sound of leaking!!

I dont know if its worth getting a cctv of all the drains or is it a waste of money as the water company heard no leaks.

Comment

Cctv of drains is only £150 if you shop around. So well worth getting done even if unconnected to subsidence. I can't imagine leaking drains could be detected by sound?

Comment

You can use ultrasound to find leaks.
                  But that's not the same as "listening".
                  When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                  Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

A quick google search explains the technique, that a microphone attached to the main water valve or pipe leading into a persons property. All taps boilers.... ect will be turned off and they will listen as to whether they can hear any water passing through the pipe. As all taps and water usage appliances are off no water should be passing through the main pipe unless there is a leak present. I was told by the water company that this method is standard technique as to identify water leaks

Comment

Listening eqpt will only detect leaks if water is under pressure, effluent in underground sewer is not under sig pressure. Ground penetrating radar may detect such leaks - if you know a tame archaeology dept with GPR.

Comment

So many things going on here.

Get the drains checked. If they are a common drain - ie you tie into a run that serves multiple properties - then this is now the Local Water Boards responsibility. Checking for a mains water leak should be done too.

As for the repairs, what has your S Engineer suggested? They've looked at the house, considered its construction and determined 'subsidence'. What have they suggested as repair?

Are none of the windows effected too?
                        There is always scope for misinterpretation.

If my posts can be interpreted in two ways, one that makes you feel angry and one that doesn't, I meant the latter.

Everyday is an opportunity to learn something new.

Comment

Sorry for the late reply MK1fan, I am going to get the drains checked by cctv in the next few months, I am just waiting upon the next set of building monitoring results. If they have picked up any building movement then I will have to proceed with the cctv. If no movement is detected I probably wont as i cant afford to keep throwing money at this problem.

My subsidence engineer believes there is subsidence, he has suggested cctv of all the drains with hydrostatic tests to be carried out, and for trial pits and boreholes to be dug.
                          He has not suggested any repair work yet, but just as an interesting point my insurers engineer has dismissed his entire report and said nothing is wrong (obviously its in their interests to say this). After both the front and rear doors started sticking and the frames distorting the insurers agreed to do building monitoring and the first set of results are due within over a month.
                          Now the insurers are playing dirty before the results of the building monitoring are even out, they have now said that any movement that is detected is normal, and only excessive movement is classed as subsidence. Is it just me that finds this ridiculous? the monitoring is taken every 2 months and if the building moves even by a fraction of a millimetre, i would personally think that was excessive as that movement accumulates over time.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                          X