Finding tradesmen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finding tradesmen

I've just about finished my first renovation house.

I've done all the work myself, from the painting and papering, to tiling and moving door frames.

Now I'm at the end the last thing to do is get a joiner to fit a new front and back door.

This has been a terrible experience and has been going on for 3 weeks now, I've had 2 phone conversations with joiners who never shown up to give me a quote, the third guy has came and given me a ridiculous quote, valueing his time at £80/hour. I'm tempted to do the job myself but why is it so hard to find tradesmen?

Ha ha. I have the same trouble.

See here: http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...mersion-Heater

& here: http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...such-swindlers

As I reminded someone in another thread, there's an old saying that starts: 'If you want a job doing properly...'

Sounds like you are quite capable of doing those doors. Crack on with it my friend.

Comment

A few years back John Major decided that it would be a good thing if everyone went to University. Later politicians have extended this bizarre idea of what people should be doing with their lives. So the folk who are not earning £80/hour and failing to give quotes are unemployed being paid a handsome sum in handouts from your taxes.

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
        Ha ha. I have the same trouble.

As I reminded someone in another thread, there's an old saying that starts: 'If you want a job doing properly...'

Sounds like you are quite capable of doing those doors. Crack on with it my friend.
        I did all the internal doors, but those are hollow and somewhat easier. I was hoping for the front door especially to get a good finish on the door. I'm quite handy but i dread to think of someone who is not good with their hands trying to renovate a house, must cost them a fortune in time and money arranging contractors to come do all the jobs.

Obviously as this is my first project, my list of tradesmen is at 0, so hopefully i can build a phonebook of tradesmen and not have this problem as my project number grows.

Comment

Originally posted by Bricko7 View Post
          Obviously as this is my first project, my list of tradesmen is at 0, so hopefully i can build a phonebook of tradesmen and not have this problem as my project number grows.
          You've hit the nail on the head there. Most tradesmen, if they're any good, don't have any trouble finding enough work so they are always going to pick and choose regular customers they know, who won't mess them about and will pay them when the job is done. Why risk working for a complete unknown who might well turn out to be the customer from hell, if you don't have to?

People always worry about finding decent tradesmen who won't rip them off and will do a good job; but they forget that the relationship is a two-way street and that tradesmen have just those same worries about customers!

Comment

Ericthelobster,

You'd think so, wouldn't you.

However, two of the plumbers who I contacted to do my immersion heater have done work for me in the past, and I never argued about the bills. Never got a reply from either one this time.

Comment

Bricko7,

I get tradesmen via recommendations on "Which? Local".

Locksmith, plumbers, electricians, roofers, carpenter and joiner, handymen. Been very pleased with them.

Occasionally you get on to somebody who is too busy to quote, but on the whole it's been well worth the monthly subscription.

Comment

I know builders who never respond to the first enquiry, only subsequent enquiries, because they get a lot of time wasters.
                Your £80 an hour probably allows for 2 men to fit it, a decent front door could weigh up to 60kg, not easily lifted by one person without risking damage to the door
                All posts are my own opinions, please confirm with qualified persons before taking advice. Apologies in advance for misunderstandings or any offence caused

Comment

Yesterday I found myself in need of a Gas Safe engineer in SW14. The ones I have previously used seem to have gone to live in Spain or just don't respond to phone or text so I went to my old mate Checkatrade - found new ones there I did not know of and asked for a call back from 2. Within 5 minutes had 1 on the phone and appointment made.. this plumber has his wife as call taker - smart move and very professional with it too. The other came back in 30 mins. There are people out there who are organised an want business - you've just got to find them.

Now I've just got to get the tenant to let him in!

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                  X