Mould due to ventilation issues - is there a better way?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mould due to ventilation issues - is there a better way?

Hi, the property I rent out seems to have issues with condensation, it always has.. Now I've had new GCH system in it's getting worse. Tenant is ventilating reasonably but I wonder if there is another solution. The place just seems to be prone to it.

I did consider trickle vents on the windows, but most people seem to say they dont really help. Plus the fact all you end up doing is letting the cold in during winter.

I've see the PIV systems, in particular this
    http://www.nuaire.co.uk/products/cat...piv/drimaster/

Does anyone have any experience with these? Do they work and are they worth the money, or is there a better way?

Thanks

Has this property got double glazing and cavity wall insulation?

Unless you have a water leak or damp entering the property condensation is usually due to tenants drying clothes on rads and and airers and failing to ventilate. Quickest and cheapest way to get rid is to buy a dehumidifier.

I favour the Ebac make (get the one to suit a 5 bed house) - well worth the money and it will soon shift the damp air and costs about the same as a fridge to run.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Thanks for your reply. Yes the place has every insulation going. Double glazed etc everywhere.

Tenant uses a tumble drier and s reasonable with ventilation,. The issue is not too serious but some small mould is occurring on bottom of vertical blinds.

A dehumidifier may sort it, tenant just bought one himself.

I was wondering if a PIV would be a better long term solution, seems you can get that one above for about £250,though you'd need to install etc obviously.

Comment

Get the dehumidifier - no installation charge, no disruption to decor etc and it is portable. Next tenant might not need it.

Definitely sounds like lifestyle causing the mould.

Comment

Is the tumble dryer venting into the property. I know some say they have a box it goes into but they are just there to try to sell the idea that they work. They do not. They may say they open a window and dangle the hose outside, but it may be too cold for them to bother. If the dryer is being emptied into the property then that is your issue and needs disabling immediately

Comment

I agree - went to a friend's on Saturday where she had bought one of these boxes and the place was wringing wet. Get the windows open and hose outside.

I find mine goes out the catflap neatly.

Comment

What happens when the cat wants to come in? (I have a condenser but open my windows regularly...even in the SNOW!)

Comment

Originally posted by emwithme View Post
                What happens when the cat wants to come in?
                Poor pussy ends up going round and round with the damp clothes.

Comment

Originally posted by emwithme View Post
                  What happens when the cat wants to come in?
                  Ahh yes that can be a problem - cats nut the hose and push it back in to gain access - utility room turns into temp sauna.
                  I usually wait until they are kipping on a bed somewhere or in their baskets to do the drying.

Nothing worse than a wet pussy. I should think.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                  X