X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tactics for anti-mould refurbishment?

Having a property re-decorated.

The property has mould.

In other places have used mould killer and special anti-mould paint, but it has not worked. The mould re-appears. In one place they turn the place into a sauna.

Elsewhere, I did try humidistat fan, but too early to say if it is working or not.

Just wondering what can be done, where tenant have an aversion to opening windows?

I always confiscate the trickle vent shutters. Also the kitchen fan can be connected to a humidistat.

Nowadays I increase the sensitivity control of the humidistats so that if tenant does any more than boil a kettle, they will come on.

Comment

Positive input ventilation.

In my experience, it works every time.

Comment

My experience of PIV is poor. Single property, victorian flat conversion.

Comment

What's causing the mold? Is it only condensation? If you confident that it is just condesation then constant heat recovery ventialtion is the only thing you can 'fit' to the building to combat it efficiently.

I'm not convinced about the overall efficiency of positive air fans for various [technical] reasons that I can't be bothered to list out. One day I may look further into it but, as heat recovery works so well, there's no point for now (imho).
          There is always scope for misinterpretation.

If my posts can be interpreted in two ways, one that makes you feel angry and one that doesn't, I meant the latter.

Everyday is an opportunity to learn something new.

Comment

Supply a dehumidifier and write a clause into your agreement that black sooty mould is the responsibility of the tenant and they will have to pay to have it removed if they don't use the machine or wipe down surfaces regularly - works for me!

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Low EPC
              by CLS27
              I’ve recently had an EPC done on a 1 bed flat that only has electric panel heaters. The flat was given and F23 with several recommendations, being external/internal insulation and high heat retention storage heaters with a dual immersion cylinder. Obviously I am so far off an E that just changing...
              05-08-2020, 06:15 AM
            • Reply to Low EPC
              by JK0
              I would keep the existing panel heaters and buy some ordinary 2nd hand storage heaters from ebay. These can be wired to spur box timeswitches if you don't have Economy 7 wiring. Only bother with lounge, hall & maybe bathroom if there's room in there. You don't need to put a storage heater in the...
              05-08-2020, 18:58 PM
            • Reply to Low EPC
              by landlord-man
              If you have a loft hatch, stick an extra 300mm insulation all around it - most assessors are too lazy to bring step ladders or climb up there so will do a basic visual check. My last one stood on a stool and held his camera by his fingertips to get an idea of the thickness.
              05-08-2020, 15:12 PM
            • Reply to Low EPC
              by ash72
              You would need to replace all three, as the assessor may spot one and make an assumption that they are all the same. I would discuss with assessor how many additional points it would add, just before you make the investment.

Also the governments green scheme is due to be launched soon,...
              05-08-2020, 14:19 PM
            • Reply to Mould in Kitchen
              by jpucng62
              If it is caused by condensation - probable on an outside wall - you could try painting the wall with bathroom paint (anti mould). I have found this effective where condensation is causing mould behind wardrobes on outside walls. You would need to clean off the mould & treat the stain with a stain...
              02-08-2020, 22:00 PM
            • Mould in Kitchen
              by stockport1965
              Tenant has advised that there is mould behind the kitchen units on the wall. There is also a stained area of ceiling from a leak that was put right back in March.
              The house is 1910 terrace. It is the exterior wall of kitchen that wall units are on.
              Agent has had someone take a look and have...
              29-07-2020, 17:21 PM
            • Septic tank electricity.
              by Slackjawedyokel
              Hi, I’m a farmer (in England) with two cottages that are currently rented out. We have spring water ( which I’m responsible for) and septic tanks for sewerage. I’ve never made any charges for water or sewerage ( despite spending ~40K on improving the water supply over the past few years).
              29-07-2020, 08:05 AM
            • Reply to Septic tank electricity.
              by royw
              I doubt any official will want to take a close look either. Is there any reason they would want to investigate? Neighbour's is 60 years old and still as good as when it was built.
              01-08-2020, 18:39 PM
              by Slackjawedyokel
              jpkeates
              ​​​​​​I don’t really fancy replacing it either, but I really wouldn’t want anyone official taking too hard a look at the existing septic tank. On the other hand, I’m confident that it isn’t causing pollution so probably all that any official could do is require its...
              01-08-2020, 16:09 PM
              by Slackjawedyokel
              flyingfreehold septic tank in the back garden? Soakaway underneath the back garden?🙂...
              01-08-2020, 16:05 PM
            Working...
            X