Shared repair costs..maisonette and ground floor flat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shared repair costs..maisonette and ground floor flat

I own a maisonette that's on 2 levels above a ground floor flat. The properties are leasehold and we split the freehold by 'paying' each other £1 per year..(in
    theory) There are damp probs in my maisonette from cracks to failed rendering on the gable end wall..I remember reading in the contract years ago something about sharing the costs of repair to the 'building'.. How much would be expected of the ground floor flat owner to contribute?.. I do realise that once the external probs are fixed the internal decor is my own responsibility. I have a tenant renting my maisonette and she has said that she has had to throw a lot of her clothes out due to damage caused by damp..am I responsible or is it something she could claim through her insurance or my landlords insurance?..
    Thank you in anticipation

What does it say in your lease exactly about repairs? You need to read it carefully. The answer lies there.

I would have thought 50/50 but you need to be sure.

Are you sure the damp and ruined clothing was due to render cracks and not condensation from not enough ventilation or drying clothing on radiators (adding to the water content of the air)? I would not claim on my insurance for this as it will only put the premium up next time and it is unlikely they will pay up as you have not maintained the building.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Low EPC
      by CLS27
      I’ve recently had an EPC done on a 1 bed flat that only has electric panel heaters. The flat was given and F23 with several recommendations, being external/internal insulation and high heat retention storage heaters with a dual immersion cylinder. Obviously I am so far off an E that just changing...
      05-08-2020, 06:15 AM
    • Reply to Low EPC
      by JK0
      I would keep the existing panel heaters and buy some ordinary 2nd hand storage heaters from ebay. These can be wired to spur box timeswitches if you don't have Economy 7 wiring. Only bother with lounge, hall & maybe bathroom if there's room in there. You don't need to put a storage heater in the...
      05-08-2020, 18:58 PM
    • Reply to Low EPC
      by landlord-man
      If you have a loft hatch, stick an extra 300mm insulation all around it - most assessors are too lazy to bring step ladders or climb up there so will do a basic visual check. My last one stood on a stool and held his camera by his fingertips to get an idea of the thickness.
      05-08-2020, 15:12 PM
    • Reply to Low EPC
      by ash72
      You would need to replace all three, as the assessor may spot one and make an assumption that they are all the same. I would discuss with assessor how many additional points it would add, just before you make the investment.

Also the governments green scheme is due to be launched soon,...
      05-08-2020, 14:19 PM
    • Reply to Mould in Kitchen
      by jpucng62
      If it is caused by condensation - probable on an outside wall - you could try painting the wall with bathroom paint (anti mould). I have found this effective where condensation is causing mould behind wardrobes on outside walls. You would need to clean off the mould & treat the stain with a stain...
      02-08-2020, 22:00 PM
    • Mould in Kitchen
      by stockport1965
      Tenant has advised that there is mould behind the kitchen units on the wall. There is also a stained area of ceiling from a leak that was put right back in March.
      The house is 1910 terrace. It is the exterior wall of kitchen that wall units are on.
      Agent has had someone take a look and have...
      29-07-2020, 17:21 PM
    • Reply to Septic tank electricity.
      by royw
      I doubt any official will want to take a close look either. Is there any reason they would want to investigate? Neighbour's is 60 years old and still as good as when it was built.
      01-08-2020, 18:39 PM
    • Septic tank electricity.
      by Slackjawedyokel
      Hi, I’m a farmer (in England) with two cottages that are currently rented out. We have spring water ( which I’m responsible for) and septic tanks for sewerage. I’ve never made any charges for water or sewerage ( despite spending ~40K on improving the water supply over the past few years).
      29-07-2020, 08:05 AM
      by Slackjawedyokel
      jpkeates
      ​​​​​​I don’t really fancy replacing it either, but I really wouldn’t want anyone official taking too hard a look at the existing septic tank. On the other hand, I’m confident that it isn’t causing pollution so probably all that any official could do is require its...
      01-08-2020, 16:09 PM
      by Slackjawedyokel
      flyingfreehold septic tank in the back garden? Soakaway underneath the back garden?🙂...
      01-08-2020, 16:05 PM
    Working...
    X