Tenants don't understand E7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This gadget might interest you guys. It's an economy 7 water timer with preset times. The times are selectable with a screwdriver when you install it, and it has a two year battery. Therefore even if tenant shuts it off at the mains, they should not be able to foul it up.
    Enclosure Protection: IP30. Live Parts: Enclosed. Shock Protection: Class 1. Operation Temperature: 0°C to 35°C.
    To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

The lady moved out today after 5 years, which we are both sad about.

Out of curiosity, I went and looked at the immersion timer after she left. It was showing 3am when it was 12pm, so of course was using the peak rate.

The storage heater timeswitch has been shut off at the mains for months it looks like, to save money, so that has stopped working.

Hey, ho.
      To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

I've confirmed from the electricity meter readings that my tenants did not use the night storage element of the storage heater. They used 3000 units pa on night rate & 4000 units pa on day rate. I think the night rate just accounts for the immersion at 8 units per night. Presumably they just used the top up heater built in to the storage heater, which explains why I had to replace a burnt out element at £80 some years ago.

The Dimplex Duoheat storage heaters can have the wall spacing adjusted to 30mm, to accomodate a wider skirting board. I'm wondering if they could also accomodate a hidden timeswitch? I would access it through a hole in the back in case I need to change the times.

Any thoughts?

Comment

If a tenant can't - or can't be bothered to - understand how the heating works it really is their problem!

I have electric heaters (Farro) attached to a thermostat so they can be programmed like a wet system but the tenant insists on turning them on when he gets home from work like a convection heater and complains that the house is cold!

He has had the system explained to him by me, the agent and an electrician to no avail. Had a further heater put in to use in this way to keep him happy.

He is a nurse! Should be able to work out the heating but clearly can't be bothered!!

Comment

Thanks jpucng62,

It's so annoying. Another flat fell vacant at the weekend. The place was in good shape, though my tenant said she was sorry about the mould on the walls.

Analysing her electricity bill shows that once again, she has not used the storage heaters. She only used 2000 units per year, which is just about enough for the hot water.

I guess storage heaters are only good for pleasing the EPC assessor.

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
              Thanks jpucng62,

I guess storage heaters are only good for pleasing the EPC assessor.
              And there is the irony! They score highly on the EPC because theoretically they can be cost effective to run but in practice people either end up with a cold house or high bills - absolute madness when a highly engineered electric radiator gives tenants controllable warmth and much less wastage.

If only we could get EPC points for supplying jumpers to out tenants!

Comment

Originally posted by jpucng62 View Post
                If only we could get EPC points for supplying jumpers to out tenants!
                Bring back the string vest I say!
                (We could make them compulsory as a part of going back to the 50s/60s with Brexit).

Comment

New tenants moved in last Friday. As usual I left a letter explaining how to run the heating system. (Waste of time.)

They called me out on Wednesday to ask for a lesson on the heating. I found the hall storage heater input set to minimum, as it had been 'too warm' the day before. It did get to 76 degrees outside, but my storage heaters here at home did not overheat the place. Like the ones at the flat, they automatically charge less on warm nights.

'Just leave it on number 4 and don't fiddle with it', I told them. I wonder if they'll do that.

Comment

Best thing to do is see if you can find a youtube video of how to operate it, or create your own video showing how to operate it, as they probably wont bother reading instructions and send them the link to it.

By 2030 it will all run on electricity so T's will have to learn to use the system and timer or face a large expensive bill. I had a T who moved in 5 years ago, when they moved in I informed them they can move to any utility company they wish to and to fix it for 12 months, 5 years on they are still on the same variable tariff and company..... no matter how much you try to help a T they just wont believe you that your trying to save them money, and then complain why their rent is going up by £10 pm.

Comment

I visited my tenant again on Wednesday, and snuck a glance at the hall temperature control. It was down at minimum as I expected.

I wonder if this is a Romanian thing, maybe. This is the fourth Romanian tenant of mine to do this. Do they not use domestic heating, because the communists never installed any in Romanian homes?

Comment

I despair with everyone at the moment. Tenant wanted to know why her Energy was more expensive at the flat compared to the old place, aside from the obvious fact it's bigger she's also decided because it's bigger she would prefer to use a tumble dryer than use a washing line in the garden even in the summer. She'd never used a tumble dryer before and wasn't aware of the costs. (Her purchase not a white good which came with the place)

Literally just yesterday my Nan asked me why her phone and broadband costs had gone up. When I told her it's because she chose to renew with the same company automatically instead of taking my advice and switching / negotiating she told me "oh I didn't look at the new prices they sent through" - Same person who has always stayed with British Gas out of 'loyalty'!

Comment

I've just ordered four of these for the flat I'm working on at the moment:

In the hope that my tenant does not continually switch storage heaters on & off. (They are centrally controlled, so no need for individual fiddling.)
                          Free delivery and returns on all eligible orders. Shop MK K1090WHI Flex Outlet Front Plate.

Comment

just wait until you have to fit LOT20 compliant storage heaters …..tenants turn them off, then on, and it takes them a few days to get running again properly

Comment

Originally posted by red_boots2 View Post
                              I despair with everyone at the moment. Tenant wanted to know why her Energy was more expensive at the flat compared to the old place, aside from the obvious fact it's bigger she's also decided because it's bigger she would prefer to use a tumble dryer than use a washing line in the garden even in the summer. She'd never used a tumble dryer before and wasn't aware of the costs. (Her purchase not a white good which came with the place)
                              Oh, that's the other thing that annoys me. All my flats have either a Miele Washer Drier or Tumble Drier. Most of my tenants are too tight to use the tumble drier, and just put things on radiators & airers. You can imagine what the walls look like after five years of doing that.

Comment

I think Tenants assume black mould comes as standard. We had one who wondered why the bathroom ceiling was mouldy when they hadn't reported a broken extractor fan and did like opening the window as it was cold!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                                X