Polystyrene Ceiling Tiles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Polystyrene Ceiling Tiles

Can anyone help me with the annoying problem of polystyrene ceiling tiles ? I have just purchased another rental property and 2 of the bedrooms and the whole lounge through diner are all covered with polystyrene ceiling tiles. The obvious answer is to remove them all, as they are obviously a fire hazard. Is there anything out there such as a fire retardant paint or covering that will prevent me from having to remove them ?? and still be legally ok to rent out.

I believe it is okay to cover them with plasterboard.

Comment

They are only a fire hazard if covered with high VOC paints, apparently, but they are very dated and look naff. Either remove them and have the ceilings skimmed, or do as JKO suggests (which is probably cheaper as they can be a beggar to get off). Try one in the middle and see how easy it is to scrape them off.
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

I was having a look for some tips online for removal and found someone saying "the tiles were there to hide the poor state of the ceiling underneath" which i think is a valid point. So while they may come off easy, god knows what itll be like underneath. that's if you can get the adhesive off.

I'd go with plasterboard on top. nice bonus, it'll keep a few percent more heat in the room lol. Silver lining and all that :P

Comment

I didn't mean just remove them and leave the ceiling as it is. It would probably need skimming, and just skimming would be cheaper than boaridng and skimming.

But plasterboard would keep a little bit more heat in, it's true.
          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Ok. Just didn't want you to take them off and be open mouthed in shock at a ceiling covered in glue lol.

Comment

Back in the early 1970's I used to work in a decorating shop on a Saturday and sold thousands of these tiles and coving to match. I thought they were pretty ghastly then, 'plain or cracked ice'. They were nearly all used to cover up 'bad' walls and ceilings in Victorian houses.

To stick them up we recommended Polycell Plus mixed up with half the water for regular paperhanging or a product called Clam 143. The Poycell should come off by scraping when saturated with water/steam and it goes back to its gel format but the Clam sets like a cement and I recall it having to be chipped off and that invariably makes more damage to the plaster finish.

I, personally would remove polystyrene tiles and then plasterboard over anything left and skim finish.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

A chap I worked with bought a house with these tiles in the kitchen. In haste he put up then trendy pine T and G wood panelling, screwed and glued. Years later he gave up and cut out wood, tiles and plaster and started over

If you are lucky and the ceiling was lined, it might come off, lining paper attached to tiles. Otherwise do plaster over but if you tape and mud (plaster) the joints and countersunk screw holes well, you can avoid skimming.
                Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X