Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garden Paving - Why type of slab to use

Dear member,

I'm looking to get rid of the grass in my garden and replace it with paving slabs.

Looking online, there are so many different type so I decided to ask our forum experienced members for some good advise (which I always get).

My budget is a little tight at the moment so I'm looking at those are at the reasonable price.

Thank you in advance.

These are nice and cheap and are free delivery over £45 worth I believe:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/derby-grey-u...1/invt/224595/

These will look a little better if you have 'grout lines' of maybe 2" of gravel between them.

Comment

Ebay or Freecycle, and you can get them nearly free.

If you do the Wickes ones, at least avoid pure Pavement Grey.

Or look for offers.

eg TP currently have "riven" pavers (far nicer product - like the Wickes Hamilton roughly) 450x450 at under £12.00 per sqm inc VAT.

That's just a first shot at a not-very-cheap supplier. Look at your local independents and go with cash to haggle. They may have used pavers - if they've been on sand you're laughing.

ML
      Refer Mad Regulators to Arkell vs Pressdram.

Comment

Dont forget it can kill re-sale value.

Buyers will like part paved but all paved ( unless its a very small garden) and they will think of the costs of removal and reinstatement.
        Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

In some instances there are restrictions on replacing grass with impermeable material, the overall area being replaced and the location affects the planning requirements.

Comment

He who concretes over his garden has a soul of stone.
            'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by scouser View Post
              In some instances there are restrictions on replacing grass with impermeable material, the overall area being replaced and the location affects the planning requirements.
              Paving slabs on sharp sand and a sub-base are permeable.

And you only need planning if the impermeable surface faces the highway, and (maybe) if you are causing water runoff off site. I think.

Install part of them to a sand base, with a weed membrane underneath, and simply remove those before you - putatively - sell.

Easy-peasy.

ML
              Refer Mad Regulators to Arkell vs Pressdram.

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
                He who concretes over his garden has a soul of stone.
                LOL, This is very funny! luckily I don't have a soul of stone...I just happen to live in the house with only me doing the garden and I have a bad hay fever. I suffered for the last 10 years mow the lawn once every 2-3 weeks over the summer, which definitely is not my kind of fun.I'm at the end of my tether, I guess giggle)

Comment

Thank you everyone!
                  I'll have a look around my local this weekend to see if I'm in luck for any good deal.

I've also looked in ebay and find the council paving slabs are quite ok in price and it might suits its purpose as I'm only planning to (part)pave at the end of my garden where the lawn mower refused to go that far.

I also eyed up on a few stone paving slabs as well as they look much better and no doubt the price.

Concrete are rubbish right? Are all stone good?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                  X