Boiler Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boiler Upgrade

Just had an old system boiler break down and looking to get it replaced with a more efficient combi boiler.

Looks like I need to do the following:
    -Clean/flush out the old system
    -Fit new 22mm copper pipe from the gas meter to the boiler roughly 15m
    -Fit trv valves to 8 radiators
    -Fit new boiler
    -Fit magnaclean filter
    -Remove old tanks and redundant pipes

has any one done anything similar recently and how much did you end up paying?

Just off the top of my head without knowing the model of boiler or the size of the property but I would be expecting around £2000. I'm in the north of England so if you are in London, or getting BG to do it you can double it and subtract the number you first thought of.

Does it really need replaced as I read a recent survey in the NLA mag that in the long term it worked out cheaper to keep old style boilers because although they are less efficient they cost much less to repair.

I have properties with both types and must admit I rarely have to call out a gas engineer to the old style ones but seem to get a fault on condensing combis every month.

Comment

I would love to keep the old style but homecare can't source a gas valve as the boilers about 30 years old.

It's only a three bed terraced with one bathroom so not much output required.

Comment

Originally posted by r0b View Post
        I would love to keep the old style but homecare can't source a gas valve as the boilers about 30 years old.

It's only a three bed terraced with one bathroom so not much output required.
        Have you tried sourcing one yourself,

http://www.heatingreplacementparts.co.uk/default.aspx

I believe that BG Homecare engineers have sales quotas of new boilers to meet.

Comment

Thanks for the link I just need to find out exactly which model of boiler it is.

The problem is that it could be the gas valve or it could be something else as the BG engineer didn't seem 100% that it was the issue I could end up having to buy a whole load of spare parts + plumber call outs which could easily mount up.

On a side note now with utility bills continuing to rise year on year won't tenants start to be more interested in houses with more efficient heating systems.

Comment

Originally posted by r0b View Post
            On a side note now with utility bills continuing to rise year on year won't tenants start to be more interested in houses with more efficient heating systems.
            Very probably, mine are mainly 'bills included' so overall running costs are more important.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X