Guarantees from now dissolved companies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guarantees from now dissolved companies

Would anyone have any advice for me, in trying to trace the builder of a now dissolved company. I know that businesses fail for all sorts of reasons, sometimes perfectly legitimately so am not conducting a witch-hunt, but fail to see why someone ought not be held accountable for work undertaken carrying a guarantee. If said builder is now trading as AN Other in same business, then morally ought they not personally still be held accountable? I'd like to think they would be grateful of the opportunity to put things right...

You are right in all you say, but,

Legaly, there is nothing you can do, if he was a "Limited" firm, which
    your post suggests, builder has no obligation to do anything, as it
    was the company that went bust, and the "company" gave the
    guarantee, not the builder, and builder was employed by the
    company.

In the eys of the law, the builder worked for the company, which
    no longer exists, and has no money.

Yes, we all know the builder WAS the company , but you wont get
    any satisfaction, sorry to say.
    Look at it another way , if he did bad work all the time, he wont
    have the money to rectify all the faults, via the new company, and
    wont earn any money if he spends his time rectifying jobs from
    the previous firm.

Yes, it should not be allowed to happen, going bust then starting
    up again, but there is nothing we can do about it.
    Nothing to stop you going to the T.V. program Cowboy builders,
    but not even they are sucessful.

R.a.M.

Comment

I echo your first sentence! I don't even know what the circumstances were, so like I say, am not wanting to go in heavy handed or accuse anyone of coyboyism, just be interested to be able to have the conversation with person concerned...

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Toilet fan
        Gep
        Could anybody recommend a good extractor fan?

I'm looking for something great quality and long lasting. I don't care if it's pretty, super quiet, etc.
        Something pretty common would be good as well so I'm sure any electrician will be able to fit it easily.

This is the...
        19-07-2017, 10:04 AM
      • Reply to Toilet fan
        jpkeates
        I have one of these in my bathroom - not silent, but quiet enough.
        I've found that they vary from box to box, though....
        Shop Silavent SDF100TBS Axial Extractor Fan with Backdraught Shutter & Timer. Free delivery and returns on eligible orders
        21-07-2017, 09:13 AM
      • What to look for in double glazing quotes
        bowsden
        Hello. I'm a new BtL landlord and have just bought an upper flat with two bedrooms, one in the attic. The conversion is very old and there is no paperwork associated with it. It has been let out for 30 years previously and is very tired, so I intend to freshen it up, put double glazing in and let it...
        14-07-2017, 09:01 AM
      • Reply to What to look for in double glazing quotes
        MisterB
        of course it matters who owns the windows as a matter of principle - if they fell out and injured someone, who holds the liability? chances of it happening ...... in reality, next to none. so in your case it seems it isn't an issue, but I have two flats in a block of LA flats. the lease states they...
        18-07-2017, 20:05 PM
        bowsden
        In Newcastle and the surrounding parts, it is perfectly normal. It is not a flying freehold, it is a criss-cross arrangement most popularly associated with 'Tyneside Flats'....
        18-07-2017, 08:22 AM
        leaseholder64
        A flying freehold doesn't seem to be a good position to be in for a residential flat.
        17-07-2017, 10:39 AM
      • mysterious dust
        tatemono
        We've got a family in a 3 bed mid-terrace 1930s brick and tile house and prior to them moving in a year ago, we did quite a bit of work on the property including remedying some damp issues (not major) a complete replaster and redecoration. It was mint when the family moved in.

A year...
        22-03-2017, 14:28 PM
      • Reply to mysterious dust
        JK0
        Of course, you only had the tops of the walls plastered?
        17-07-2017, 09:44 AM
      • Reply to mysterious dust
        tatemono
        Area has trees front and back so we get gutters done every year. The dust isn't just upstairs either. It's appeared to a lesser extent downstairs. The plaster is my bet. It was all done by the same plasterer and he was a different plasterer to the one we used for the other properties we've refurbished...
        17-07-2017, 09:21 AM
        bowsden
        Hi. Thanks for the input. With these flats they are criss cross freeholder / leaseholder. The bottom flat has the freehold to the top one and I will own the freehold to the bottom one. So technically the bottom flat is responsible for looking after the bit that keeps up my flat and I am responsible...
        16-07-2017, 18:25 PM
      Working...
      X