Intelligent Thermostat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intelligent Thermostat?

I am so sick of my electronic thermostat.

If I set it at 21.5 degrees, it is supposed to shut off at 22 degrees. It does this okay, but the room continues to warm up to 23 degrees. Then I have to wait for the temp to go down to 21 degrees, before the whole process kicks off again.

Now, years ago mechanical thermostats used to have a resistor inside them that got warm in sympathy with the radiators. This made them much less likely to overshoot the temperature like mine does.

Has anyone come across an electronic thermostat that senses the speed of room warming, and so shuts off the heat slightly earlier?

I have had a thermostat recently that won't stay as the 16 degrees wanted by tenant overnight. My gas engineer suggested changing the batteries - it was the answer - I had totally forgotten these things are battery operated.
    JKO - if that is not the ans then get new stat - they are cheap enough.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Thanks, but it's not the batteries. The thermostat does exactly what it's supposed to. It's just that my house is a lot better insulated than it was when the boiler was installed.

I am almost tempted to put an old fashioned mechanical thermostat in it's place to see if that overcomes my problem.

Comment

Seeing as the problem is the latent heat in the rads continuing to heat the room after the supply has been shut off then changing the stat won't make a difference.

Try a different setting on you TRVs or get the system rebalanced.
        There is always scope for misinterpretation.

If my posts can be interpreted in two ways, one that makes you feel angry and one that doesn't, I meant the latter.

Everyday is an opportunity to learn something new.

Comment

Thanks MK1Fan,

The TRVs here in the living room where the thermostat is are all set to max. I thought that was the correct thing to do? Should I set them lower?

Comment

Try setting them on '3'.
            There is always scope for misinterpretation.

If my posts can be interpreted in two ways, one that makes you feel angry and one that doesn't, I meant the latter.

Everyday is an opportunity to learn something new.

Comment

Why not reduce the setpoint slightly?

Perhaps drop it my 0.5°C at a time until you get nearer your target for comfort.

Comment

Surely the easiest answer is to lower the thermostat by 1'c....

Otherwise I recently upgraded to a Worcester bosch intelli thermostat from eBay for around £70 and think its fab!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X