Electric Panel Heaters for my flat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electric Panel Heaters for my flat?

I've just moved into a new flat of my own and the central heating bill is very high. Also, some rooms don't have a built-in heater.

I've found an electric panel heater called Econo-Heat which says it can heat a small room on its own in 15 mins and work alongside central heating so I don't have to put the central heating up so high. Maybe even turn it off completely in cooler days and just use the panel heater when needed.

This should save a lot of money as the panel heater is 400W and they say it will be approximately 4p a minute depending on insulation and windows. The price is £69.99 per heater with free delivery.

What do you think? Here's the product...

Retail website: www.heatingdirect.co

Econo-Heat: www.econo-heat.com/uk

You don't say if you have double glazing - if so how old or what sort of materials the building is made of, tyype of insulation (if any) and if you have gas central heating?

In general electric is more expensive to heat a room than gas.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

4p per minute?

Are you sure you don't mean 4p per hour?
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Using only 400w I would question their effectiveness to heat a room.

I use a 500w tube heater in my 3m square unheated but double glazed and insulated utility room below the pipes feeding the washing machine to stop them from freezing in cold weather. It takes the chill off but it is along way from being a warm room.

I use 'water filled electric radiators in some rooms, they look and work just like a normal radiator but these cost between 20p and 30p per hour each to run depending on size.

Comment

Oil-filled radiators are surprisingly effective (for their size) in small rooms, but they are 2-3 kilowatts. Quite expensive to run.
          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

I've fitted those panel heaters in a Client's kitchen - it hadn't previously been heated. The Client's boiler didn't have sufficient capacity to extend and provide additional radiators and changing the boiler wasn't a viable option.

Fitted three 270W versions on a controlled circuit and they work well. The kitchen works also included upgrading insulation so this helps. Although 810W in total we replaced the 20 50W downlighters with LEDs so the electric usage shouldn't be 'additional'.
            There is always scope for misinterpretation.

If my posts can be interpreted in two ways, one that makes you feel angry and one that doesn't, I meant the latter.

Everyday is an opportunity to learn something new.

Comment

Oops, 4p per hour of course!! Insulation is ok and the room has double-glazing.

Thanks for your replies. I decided to buy one from www.heatingdirect.co and it was sent out next day delivery.

Was amazed to see the correct metal drill-bit in the box to drill the holes to the right size in the wall. After I'd done that, it took about 2 minutes to put up; the panel just slides over the plugs you put in the wall.

First day it took a while to heat up but since then it has only taken about 20 minutes to heat the room, which is about 10m sq. I turned it on when I got up this morning and it had taken the chill off in 10 mins.

It gives a more even heat than the oil radiator I was lent by a friend when I moved in. Looks a lot better too! I might try painting the panel soon to match the walls.

I'll come back to let you know the running costs. If they are good, I think I'll install them in the rooms with central heating too so I can turn down my central heating.

Comment

Don't install both thinking the panels will power the UFH. They won't [fully]. My OH has a 4kW system that has only produced 1kW a day over the last few dingy days. Before Christmas it was consistently producing 4kW each day though.

If my posts can be interpreted in two ways, one that makes you feel angry and one that doesn't, I meant the latter.

Comment

Originally posted by dovorian View Post
                  I've just moved into a new flat of my own and the central heating bill is very high. Also, some rooms don't have a built-in heater.

I've found an electric panel heater called Econo-Heat which says it can heat a small room on its own in 15 mins and work alongside central heating so I don't have to put the central heating up so high. Maybe even turn it off completely in cooler days and just use the panel heater when needed.

This should save a lot of money as the panel heater is 400W and they say it will be approximately 4p a minute depending on insulation and windows. The price is £69.99 per heater with free delivery.

What do you think? Here's the product...

Retail website: www.heatingdirect.co

Econo-Heat: www.econo-heat.com/uk
                  Are you sure you aren't a Sales Chappie spamming our site?

ML
                  Refer Mad Regulators to Arkell vs Pressdram.

Comment

Hi,

I said I would come back to update you guys on the heater.

Decided to have a go at painting the panel. Went on easily and hasn't been any sign of it coming off so far. You can only paint the front face of it.

It's early days but the cost seems to be just above 4p an hour. It's a good saving on the oil radiator I had when I moved in.

Last week I bought two more. I'm going to install one in the kitchen and another in the living room. These rooms have central heating installed but it's very expensive for the little I've used it so far so I'm going to use the two together and keep my central heating at a lower level.

Now it's getting cold, this will test them out. Today I have been able to keep the central heating on the same setting as it has been in recent weeks with the aid of the Econo-Heat. It's probably a bit warm to be honest!

Hope this helps others in my situation.

Comment

Originally posted by dovorian View Post
                      Hi,

It's early days but the cost seems to be just above 4p an hour. It's a good saving on the oil radiator I had when I moved in.

NOT that old chestnut again!!

Seeing as ANY electric heater works on the principle of 100% efficiency conversion rate, what you put in electric you will get out in heat.

It is an absolute myth and misrepresentation to say that any electric heater will save you money and yet still give the same amount of heat. You will only be saving money because the rating of the heater is lower than the previous one.

Some people may prefer an oil filled radiator because it give a more even heat out to the room and does not smell like some radiant heaters. But you have to wait for them to heat up; also they will cool down slower so that may seem like free heat to some people (but its not)

As Gas is cheaper than electricity, it would make sense to use gas if you have it. The only reason I can see for using an electric heater is if you want a quick blast of heat in one room and you cannot be bothered to turn off your rads around the whole house or it would be unwise to do so as the valves are dodgy.

DS has a cosy one bed flat that can be heated by one £25 electric 2 or 3 kw electric heater on a thermostat. TBH I think that the cost of putting in a new boiler and yearly servicing would not be worth the necessary investment and hassle of fitting it. The flat has econ 7.
                      All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

Thanks for your reply Bel.

The reason I said about the saving was because the panel heater takes less time to heat the whole room. The oil rad was more than twice the wattage and made the area around it really hot fairly quickly but it took ages to heat the rest of the room - to the extent that I often had to turn it off because one part of the room was boiling, even though the other part was cool.

Plus the oil rad uses a lot more energy. To heat a room I don't need to have the panel heater on for as long and it's lower wattage.

Obviously the panel can only work on its own in small rooms or as supplementary heat in larger ones. I'm not saying it's suitable for your only heating source.

There seem to be other electric options which compete with central heating. However, the initial cost of these is in the hundreds. The panel heater is only £69.99 so I was happy to take a small risk on it. So far so good.

Comment

I think the scentific reason for your heating anomaly is known as the Paul McKenna effect; i.e. its all in you mind.

Have a nice day.
                          All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

Originally posted by Bel View Post
                            I think the scentific reason for your heating anomaly .....
                            Is this when all you can smell is almonds?

Comment

Just trying to increase my posts to the Magic Number of 15 - but I hope that this suggestion may help.

I have installed some of the 400W panel heaters (mine were only about £45 from TLC - which may be trade only, not sure), but it is certainly worth buying an electric timer. You can then programme it to come on before you wake up and have it switch off automatically - that keeps the cost down in case you forget - which I would..........frequently.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X