Re-painting wallpaper with water stains

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re-painting wallpaper with water stains

After a boiler leak some time ago, the affected wall was re-painted but some faint yellow stains can still be seen today.
    Now, following another water leak recently, I have the same scenario.

The wallpaper is textured/blown vinyl (the one that covers all kinds of wall imperfections remarkably well!) and it has been painted over (white).

Do I have to strip away all the wallpaper in the affected area (I'd rather not as the new pattern won't match the other unaffected areas) or is the decorator not doing their job right or well enough?

I have also thought about doing away with wallpaper and having all the walls re-skimmed (but not the bedrooms-the property is a HMO), but apart from the cost, is it feasible to do this work with tenants in situ?
    Natural selection is a wonderful thing
    You shall know them by their fruit
    Saying "Never say never", says it

You need to paint the stain with oil based white gloss undercoat, allow to dry overnight, and then re-emulsion.

Comment

I use an aluminium based paint which works with everything and can be used as a wood primer-otherwise you will end up with a tin of stain block that has few uses.

Comment

Originally posted by gnvqsos View Post
        I use an aluminium based paint which works with everything and can be used as a wood primer-otherwise you will end up with a tin of stain block that has few uses.
        Yes. 'Stain block' paint,like radiator paint, is just a money-maker for the paint companies!
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by Scrungy View Post

I have also thought about doing away with wallpaper and having all the walls re-skimmed (but not the bedrooms-the property is a HMO), but apart from the cost, is it feasible to do this work with tenants in situ?
          Not really. Have you never watched a plasterer at work?! Room will need to be empty of people and furniture for a few days. It will take a day to skim the walls and a few days for them to dry sufficiently, then a week or so before you can paint.

If you do get the walls skimmed, I can recommend decorating with something like Dulux Endurance (or even better, the trade version, Dulux Diamond Matt). More expensive than ordinary emulsion, but 20x tougher - can be wiped clean, even scrubbed.
          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
            Yes. 'Stain block' paint,like radiator paint, is just a money-maker for the paint companies!
            Fully agree, it costs a fortune compared to normal oil based.
            The only advantage is the spray can stain blocker dries in about 20 mins if you're really pushed for time.

Comment

Originally posted by boletus View Post
              Fully agree, it costs a fortune compared to normal oil based.
              The only advantage is the spray can stain blocker dries in about 20 mins if you're really pushed for time.
              But normal oil-based gloss/satinwood/eggshell only takes a couple of hours, so if you're organised you apply that first (before you start filling, rubbing down the walls, sanding the woodwork, etc.), then get on with painting the rest of the room while it dries, then emulsion over the no-longer-stained bit last.

And if anyone is muttering 'What's she on about - rubbing down the walls?' they should never DIY, but employ a proper decorator. I see some truly appalling DIY decorating - in fact I spend a lot of time sorting out customers' DIY bodges. Some people should never be allowed near B&Q, or even a paintbrush. They should have 'BODGER' tattoed on their foreheads and be firmly discouraged.

Comment

Don't you just love the way Scrungy is always so appreciative of all the professional help and advice?

Comment

if anyone is muttering 'What's she on about - rubbing down the walls?'
                  "The wallpaper is textured/blown vinyl" -Scrungy.

-It wouldn't be textured or blown after 'MTG paint & dec ltd' had rubbed it down.

Anyway Scrungy, as always, I was touched by your P.M of gushing thanks and appreciation for my advice to your post.

As a retired professional, normally I would be reluctant to take on the contract to paint your flat, however I am prepared to make an exception in your case.

Whilst I appreciate the opportunity to diverge from magnolia, I feel that Purple 'n' Black may still be a little too avante garde for my taste. However, 'the customer is always right' is my motto!

With regards to painting with your tenants in situ; As an equal opportunity employer, I have no problems painting Mr Smith in 'midnite blak' gloss. Unfortunately I have to draw the line at painting Mrs Smith in purple 'weathercote', either stripped or unstripped- having seen Mrs Smith, I trust you will understand.

I will be pleased to skim plaster the windows but will respect your wishes regarding the HMO bedroom windows and try to refrain from doing the full set. I will happily kick them in free of charge if required, providing you obtain all necessary consent from your local conservation officer.

I would like to carry out the works on 25th December, thereby utilising my bank holiday 'triple time and a half' scheme. Unfortunately, Christmas day falls on a sunday this year so the price would, of course, be doubled.

Although I was hoping to avoid the ordeal of seeing drunken B&Q staff dressed as Rudolph this year (with festive antlers and jolly red nose), it would seem the ideal time to circumvent my lifetime B&Q ban and buy the required materials.

With apologies to Clement Clarke Moore;

T'would be the wednesday before Christmas,
                  And if I put on a white beard,
                  I can get 10% off,
                  Using an over 60's diamond ceard.

Please make out all cheques to Mr B.Odger - as per tattooed on my forehead.

Kind Regards etc.
                  Last edited by boletus; 02-11-2011, 23:27 PM. Reason: note to self- stop posting on return from the pub.

Comment

Not really. Have you never watched a plasterer at work?! Room will need to be empty of people and furniture for a few days. It will take a day to skim the walls and a few days for them to dry sufficiently, then a week or so before you can paint.

If you do get the walls skimmed, I can recommend decorating with something like Dulux Endurance (or even better, the trade version, Dulux Diamond Matt). More expensive than ordinary emulsion, but 20x tougher - can be wiped clean, even scrubbed.
                    A dehumidifier in the room being plastered overnight can help significantly.

Check with your workmen, though.

ML
                    Refer Mad Regulators to Arkell vs Pressdram.

Comment

If you ever need to choose between re wallpapering or plastering and you plan to keep the house long term.....I would choose to plaster every time.
                      Wallpaper goes in and out of fashion, is easily damaged and costs more to replace.
                      Once you have skimmed with plaster or replastered you only have to repaint or maybe fill in holes and then paint, if abused by tenants.
                      Cost this out compared to re-stripping wallpapered walls,smoothing out, and re-decorating, I find it more cost efficient every time.

Comment

Originally posted by boletus View Post
                        "The wallpaper is textured/blown vinyl" -Scrungy.

-It wouldn't be textured or blown after 'MTG paint & dec ltd' had rubbed it down.

I wasn't referring to Scrungy's stained areas (if s/he will pardon the expression), just suggesting how you could efficiently go about decorating any room where part of it needed stains blocking. And (obviously) I didn't mean rub down the wallpaper, stoopid, just any plastered areas and woodwork!

That said, I have seen a fair few walls where customers seem to have taken a rolling pin to the anaglypta to flatten it out...

Perhaps razor-sharp Artex is the answer to Scrungy's dilemma.

Comment

Originally posted by Izzycam View Post
                          If you ever need to choose between re wallpapering or plastering and you plan to keep the house long term.....I would choose to plaster every time.
                          by tenants.
                          I agree, or, if a softer but still washable effect is desired, go for walls lined with plain lining paper and soft sheen or silk finish in chosen colour.

Comment

Originally posted by rimce44
                            Even better if you paint with oil paint.. mind the gap, have you measured how many times diamond is tougher?
                            Painting an entire wall with oil paint? I think not.

No, I personally haven't measured it. It is a claim made by Dulux and to be fair, it is pretty tough stuff. Johnstone's Durable Acrylic is good too and Brown/Berger do a similar product.

Comment

Stone cladding is hard wearing and long lasting, and on the inside walls, will never need re pointing.

Perhaps as with other 70's fashions, this too will make a comeback. :O
                              Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X