Envirovent humidity controlled kitchen and bathroom fans

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Envirovent humidity controlled kitchen and bathroom fans

Good evening all - has anyone any experience of the effectiveness of the above? My two bedroom ground floor flat has mould caused by condensation, in the main bedroom. The survey has recommended the installation of the above as the bathroom fan is deemed ineffective (to be honest I thought it was when I lived there as it only comes on if the light is turned on, and I always opened the window when showering). And the extractor fan in the kitchen is over the hob and relies on the tenant turning it on. The quote is very expensive but I am willing to invest if they work.

A few months ago I attended a Landlords' course on HHSRS, and Envirovent systems came highly recommended by the person giving the course. Apparently "Nuaire" is another brand of similar devices.

The trainer also remarked that many local authorities/housing associations put them in where tenants have intractable "lifestyle" problems. They save money in the long term.

Comment

I have one of these by Greenwood Airvac in a shower room in my house - it works fine. You can get one fitted by a builder and it is bound to be cheaper than actually having the Nuaire company do it for you.

Other make to check out is Expelair - they have a very good website and spares are easily obtained. I always fit fans of one type or other in my lets.

Since yours is mainly a condensation problem in a bedroom I would seriously consider buying a dehumidifier. This is portable, the size of a shredder and removes water from the air very efficiently - you will be amazed how much. You can leave it on auto or just turn on when required. Best make is Ebac.co.uk but B&Q sell cheaper ones. I recommend buying one suitable for a property bigger than you have. Loads cheaper than fan install and take it with you when you move.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I have supplied a good quality dehumidifier which sits unused in the bedroom. You can take a horse to water.... I think it is best if I take it out of the tenants hands. Apart from his inability to open a window he is an excellent tenant and I wouldn't really want to lose him, as previous tenants have had the same inability to crack open a window, but had the added problem of not being able to pay rent or clean. I think I may just bite the extra expense and get them to supply and fit as I have a full time job and a 9 month old baby to contend with and no good building/electrical contacts.

Comment

Humidistat fans do work quite well but curing 'lifestyle related condensation mould' may need more effort. As well as fitting the fans you should ensure that there is sufficient flow of air into the room from the rest of the the property. Usually trimming the bottom of the door to provide a 10mm gap between it and the floor finish is sufficient to allow a good cross draw of air to the fan.

I would recommend getting the type of fan that has an internal adjustment for the sensitivity. If it's external the tenant will just turn it off.

Importantly, the tenant must adequately heat the property.
          There is always scope for misinterpretation.

If my posts can be interpreted in two ways, one that makes you feel angry and one that doesn't, I meant the latter.

Everyday is an opportunity to learn something new.

Comment

Also, remove and confiscate the shutters from the window trickle-vents

Comment

Originally posted by maxine View Post
              he is an excellent tenant and I wouldn't really want to lose him, as previous tenants have had the same inability to crack open a window
              If that's what you think, you're in for lots of trouble.

Tenants have to act in way as not to create waste, which is defined as something that is to the detriment of the property (not opening a window) as well taking steps to stop damage from occurring as soon as a tenant sees it or becomes aware of it, like a leaking washing machine or a failed or failing bath/shower seal.

If a tenant damages the property through totally preventable steps, they should be made to pay.

Don't compensate for tenant inadequacies - it will always cost you and more than you imagine.

As to the OPs original point, I would (and have in my property) fit moisture controlled extractors that don't have an external or easily accessible on/off switch and also, to set the sensitivity to a higher than average level, to ensure it kicks in earlier and runs for longer.

You should also add into your tenancy agreements a clause requiring that the tenant refrain from blocking the extractor openings in any way, unless there is a genuine urgent or emergency need (water pouring through the opening, for example)

Comment

the top of the range fans use the warmth of air being expelled to pre-heat the air being drawn in; and run at the slightest trickle unless the internal humidity rises then boost dramatically. They are expensive to buy but do seem to help defeating condensation and mould and are thereforeworthwhile. Where you are letting old premises with solid brickwork condensation will be a problem that's virtually impossible to cure unless the internal walls are drylined with insulated plasterboard, then skimmed and painted. A big job but there'sno shortcuts; having tried everything I can confirm that all shortcuts are longcuts!

Comment

Originally posted by quarterday View Post
                  the top of the range fans use the warmth of air being expelled to pre-heat the air being drawn in; and run at the slightest trickle unless the internal humidity rises then boost dramatically. They are expensive to buy but do seem to help defeating condensation and mould and are thereforeworthwhile. Where you are letting old premises with solid brickwork condensation will be a problem that's virtually impossible to cure unless the internal walls are drylined with insulated plasterboard, then skimmed and painted. A big job but there'sno shortcuts; having tried everything I can confirm that all shortcuts are longcuts!
                  One of my clients dealt with in a very sneaky way. He had his boiler engineer rig the boiler to keep the heat on to heat the walls and structure when the tenant was one who turned it off to "save money", including having the lounge rad on and turning over every other rad. Tampered TRV's solved that too, and was a lot cheaper than arguing over condensation problems and the damage it was doing.

His engineer only did it as " it's a regular request from landlords"
                  Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

I have been dealing with this problem for a while, it's often simple, good quality, correctly
                    sized extractor fan with humidity control set correctly. I've installed many, the difference is amazing, properties that had mould growing in many rooms become dry & mould free, deal with the source & the rest deals with its self. I use good quality units that run quietly, if not the
                    tenant switches them off.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Cctv
                      KeepTheFaith
                      Can anyone give me some pointers on where to start in finding a good cctv system. Would be for a couple of cameras over front door which opens up on to the street, clear enough to identify someone around the front door area, night vision, also able to view the car parked across the road.
                      Can...
                      27-07-2017, 00:16 AM
                    • Reply to Cctv
                      MrShed
                      It does apply to private individuals if you end up surveilling the public, the link the Mod posted explains....
                      27-07-2017, 12:18 PM
                    • Reply to Cctv
                      jpkeates
                      The data protection act isn't normally applicable to private individuals, so it might depend on under which capacity the installation is done.

It's also something that might have planning implications.
                      27-07-2017, 10:48 AM
                    • Reply to Cctv
                      MrShed
                      Why does that link say otherwise? There are of course exemptions but what that link does state is that any coverage of an area in public would be within the realms of the Data Protection Act (and, imminently, within the remit of the General Data Protection Regulations).

I'm not suggesting...
                      27-07-2017, 09:02 AM
                    • Reply to Cctv
                      leaseholder64
                      Although the above application requires Data Protection Act registration, and the associated consequences, like the need to destroy the recording sooner rather than later, and to honour subject access requests, even when done by a residential occupier, if you are a landlord, and that includes the freeholder...
                      27-07-2017, 08:50 AM
                    • Reply to Cctv
                      Moderator2
                      No quite correct;

https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/cctv
                      27-07-2017, 08:18 AM
                    • Reply to Cctv
                      MrShed
                      You need to be very careful with this, in theory you cannot point the camera to view a car parked on a public road, you are not permitted to put surveillance on the public (and by extension public areas).
                      27-07-2017, 07:38 AM
                    • Toilet fan
                      Gep
                      Could anybody recommend a good extractor fan?

I'm looking for something great quality and long lasting. I don't care if it's pretty, super quiet, etc.
                      Something pretty common would be good as well so I'm sure any electrician will be able to fit it easily.

This is the...
                      19-07-2017, 10:04 AM
                    • Reply to Toilet fan
                      jpkeates
                      I have one of these in my bathroom - not silent, but quiet enough.
                      I've found that they vary from box to box, though....
                      Shop Silavent SDF100TBS Axial Extractor Fan with Backdraught Shutter & Timer. Free delivery and returns on eligible orders
                      21-07-2017, 09:13 AM
                    • What to look for in double glazing quotes
                      bowsden
                      Hello. I'm a new BtL landlord and have just bought an upper flat with two bedrooms, one in the attic. The conversion is very old and there is no paperwork associated with it. It has been let out for 30 years previously and is very tired, so I intend to freshen it up, put double glazing in and let it...
                      14-07-2017, 09:01 AM
                    Working...
                    X