Do we realy need an EPC?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do we realy need an EPC?

Hi Folks. I am new here and will be honest have joined to ask a question. Having said that I have learned a lot already from reading other questions and replies so will probably hang around.

We have an apartment joined to our home, it was originally a granny annex. for the past three years we have been letting it as a holiday apartment. I have been told we should have an EPC, but am unable to confirm if we really need one.

The apartment consists of 4 rooms and a hallway, and is attached to and accessible internally from our home, we share the use of a laundry room and back entrance hall. The heating and hot water is supplied by a gas boiler in our home. The electricity all comes via our meter. The weekly letting fee includes all heating and electricity. It is only let on a weekly basis to holidaymaker.

Do we need an EPC?

Mike

A quick googling told me that EPCs are required for holiday lets since 1st April this year if property is rented out for more than 4 months combined in any 12 months period.

Comment

A couple of years ago, I had to get an EPC for a derelict house I was selling to be converted into flats. How mad is that?

Comment

Originally posted by jamesknight0 View Post
        A couple of years ago, I had to get an EPC for a derelict house I was selling to be converted into flats. How mad is that?
        Assuming the building was being sold as one entity, I suppose they couldn't make a special case for yours on the strength that it was 'being sold to be converted'. There are regulations about the sale of property which are far more bonkers, to be fair!

And don't get me started on the fees some solicitors charge for sending out short, standard conveyancing letters along the lines of 'We write to advise that we cannot proceed with your purchase just yet as we await instructions from the vendor's solicitors. Yours, etc.' Nice money if you can get it!
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

For the sake of £50 I'd just get one done anyway.
          There is always scope for misinterpretation.

If my posts can be interpreted in two ways, one that makes you feel angry and one that doesn't, I meant the latter.

Everyday is an opportunity to learn something new.

Comment

Originally posted by mk1fan View Post
            For the sake of £50 I'd just get one done anyway.
            Yes I know, but I keep thinking of all the other things I would much rather spend 50 quid on. I am sure most of our guests would also much prefer 50 quids worth of extra comfort or convenience than a meaningless certificate.

Mike

Comment

I do not know anyone who has found a certificate of any value, does anyone care what the certificate says. All the certificates I have looked at, always have exclusions due to the surveyor not being able to to check inside cavities etc. But the Government gets the VAT so they think it is a good thing.

Comment

It's tax allowable and lasts for 10 years. That's around £3 - £5 a year once you take into account the tax. Why does everyone get so worked up about paying £5 a year to comply with the law?

Comment

Also note the EPC certificate needs to be displayed on your website if you have one.

Will be interesting to see how Trading Standards enforce this new regulation when it becomes a requirement at the end of the month.

Comment

Since epc were introduced - i have NOT ONCE been asked to produce a copy for anyone at any time - complete and utter waste of time.....
                    Until guvmint decide that a min level must be attained ......which won't be too far away methinks..
                    A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
                    W.Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
                      It's tax allowable and lasts for 10 years. That's around £3 - £5 a year once you take into account the tax. Why does everyone get so worked up about paying £5 a year to comply with the law?
                      You claim it is only £5 a year. If you had more than one property would you think it worth getting worked up about? 20 or a 100 maybe.
                      Thats a lot of fivers to unnecessarily pay out every year if you're doing it merely to comply with the law. I note you don't make any claims for the benefits of EPC's here.

Comment

Originally posted by boletus View Post
                        You claim it is only £5 a year. If you had more than one property would you think it worth getting worked up about? 20 or a 100 maybe.
                        Thats a lot of fivers to unnecessarily pay out every year if you're doing it merely to comply with the law. I note you don't make any claims for the benefits of EPC's here.
                        No, I don't make any claims for the benefits of having an EPC - I will leave that to MTG who has done so eruditely on many occasions. I do make claims for the benefits of being a law abiding citizen.

If I had 20 properties to obtain EPCs for, I would also have 20 lots of rental income to cover that cost. The number of properties is irrelevant because as the cost increases, so does the profit.

Comment

I object more to the cost of HMO licences. I do not disagree with the concept at all - just the rip off fees charged.
                          A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
                          W.Churchill

Comment

Hello Snorkerz,

If you are claiming the law requiring an EPC is justifiable solely because it doesn't cost much then I disagree.

If you are claiming there are other benefits to an EPC, that is a different matter and has already been fully covered on here.

I do not dispute you are a law abiding citizen.

I concede the number of properties is irrelevant, whether it is £5 or £5000 per year wasted, IF the legislation is wrong then perhaps it is worth getting worked up about and the law should be changed.

Regards, boletus

Comment

Originally posted by Rodent1 View Post
                              I object more to the cost of HMO licences. I do not disagree with the concept at all - just the rip off fees charged.
                              Although OT, I agree about the rip off fees (and also those that are charged for selective licensing).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Toilet fan
                                Gep
                                Could anybody recommend a good extractor fan?

I'm looking for something great quality and long lasting. I don't care if it's pretty, super quiet, etc.
                                Something pretty common would be good as well so I'm sure any electrician will be able to fit it easily.

This is the...
                                19-07-2017, 10:04 AM
                              • Reply to Toilet fan
                                jpkeates
                                I have one of these in my bathroom - not silent, but quiet enough.
                                I've found that they vary from box to box, though....
                                Shop Silavent SDF100TBS Axial Extractor Fan with Backdraught Shutter & Timer. Free delivery and returns on eligible orders
                                21-07-2017, 09:13 AM
                              • What to look for in double glazing quotes
                                bowsden
                                Hello. I'm a new BtL landlord and have just bought an upper flat with two bedrooms, one in the attic. The conversion is very old and there is no paperwork associated with it. It has been let out for 30 years previously and is very tired, so I intend to freshen it up, put double glazing in and let it...
                                14-07-2017, 09:01 AM
                              • Reply to What to look for in double glazing quotes
                                MisterB
                                of course it matters who owns the windows as a matter of principle - if they fell out and injured someone, who holds the liability? chances of it happening ...... in reality, next to none. so in your case it seems it isn't an issue, but I have two flats in a block of LA flats. the lease states they...
                                18-07-2017, 20:05 PM
                                bowsden
                                In Newcastle and the surrounding parts, it is perfectly normal. It is not a flying freehold, it is a criss-cross arrangement most popularly associated with 'Tyneside Flats'....
                                18-07-2017, 08:22 AM
                                leaseholder64
                                A flying freehold doesn't seem to be a good position to be in for a residential flat.
                                17-07-2017, 10:39 AM
                              • mysterious dust
                                tatemono
                                We've got a family in a 3 bed mid-terrace 1930s brick and tile house and prior to them moving in a year ago, we did quite a bit of work on the property including remedying some damp issues (not major) a complete replaster and redecoration. It was mint when the family moved in.

A year...
                                22-03-2017, 14:28 PM
                              • Reply to mysterious dust
                                JK0
                                Of course, you only had the tops of the walls plastered?
                                17-07-2017, 09:44 AM
                              • Reply to mysterious dust
                                tatemono
                                Area has trees front and back so we get gutters done every year. The dust isn't just upstairs either. It's appeared to a lesser extent downstairs. The plaster is my bet. It was all done by the same plasterer and he was a different plasterer to the one we used for the other properties we've refurbished...
                                17-07-2017, 09:21 AM
                                bowsden
                                Hi. Thanks for the input. With these flats they are criss cross freeholder / leaseholder. The bottom flat has the freehold to the top one and I will own the freehold to the bottom one. So technically the bottom flat is responsible for looking after the bit that keeps up my flat and I am responsible...
                                16-07-2017, 18:25 PM
                              Working...
                              X